Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Really kicking myself for this one as it will likely cost me a lot. Lesson learned I guess.

I am on this forum because I was stupid and scuffed my neighbors SRT paint and/or scratched it with my car. I was hoping some people here could help me ball park repair costs as they are being nice and willing to let me see how much it will cost to get repaired without insurance. I have attached pictures and some things to note are their paint is white (duh) and my car was black so at least part of the black markings is part of a paint transfer.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
That is the Ivory Tri-Coat Pearl (same color as my car) and they will have to repaint the entire bumper, as that type of paint doesn't lend itself to blending in...my guess $500-$700

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the Ivory Tri-Coat Pearl (same color as my car) and they will have to repaint the entire bumper, as that type of paint doesn't lend itself to blending in...my guess $500-$700
Would it be cheaper to replace the whole bumper? Or is that wishful thinking?

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Would it be cheaper to replace the whole bumper? Or is that wishful thinking?
probably about the same price, since the new bumper would have to be painted to match, and the Tri-Coat Pearl paints aren't cheap (this one has a base coat of bright white, second coat of metal flake, third coat of clear).

My wife side swiped a pickup trucks side step and tore her bumper to hell...insurance estimate was $2300..I bought all the parts (painted bumper cover, grille, fog light, light bezels, hood emblem,) off Ebay for $700 and fixed it myself in 2 hours

Attachments

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
Hi everyone,

Really kicking myself for this one as it will likely cost me a lot. Lesson learned I guess.

I am on this forum because I was stupid and scuffed my neighbors SRT paint and/or scratched it with my car. I was hoping some people here could help me ball park repair costs as they are being nice and willing to let me see how much it will cost to get repaired without insurance. I have attached pictures and some things to note are their paint is white (duh) and my car was black so at least part of the black markings is part of a paint transfer.

Thanks for the help!
Have you verified there is missing paint on the Charger? If it is all paint transfer from yours then you can get away with having it polished and such to remove the clear coat marring left behind after cleaning the black off.

Run your fingernail edge across the black marks and you will be able to tell if there is missing paint. If there, you are looking at having the bumper repainted.

It may not be an option in this case, but I have always found that potential body shop bills can be drastically reduced by doing as much of the prep work myself and leaving just the actual painting to them. If you have to have the bumper repainted, and if your neighbor would allow you to, you could remove the bumper and prep it for the body shop to do their thing, and that should knock a good amount off the total bill you'd be paying to fix the damage.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you do end up going with a body shop, they might give you a discount if you pay for it in cash. A few years ago, I was at a stop light and a lady driving a Camry behind me took her foot off the brake and tapped the back of my wife's Durango that has a tow hitch under the bumper cover. It needed to have the cover that goes over the hitch replaced and they had to paint the entire bumper even though there was only a few scratches. They were nice enough to give the lady a discount since she paid in cash. If I remember correctly, they discounted it to $750 for everything in cash as opposed to $850 or so. Her car was f'ed because the tow hitch did some serious damage to her front end so they might have had them work on car too. Obviously the pricing will be different in your case, but it doesn't hurt to ask if you are able to pay in cash.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
If is pearl, gonna cost about $1200-$1500 minimum. I just had that repair done to my wifes car a few months back.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
If it's your black paint on her bumper, with just minor scratches, a GOOD detailer can polish that out.
An amateur detailer could make it worse. Check out some videos on YouTube for scratch removal and polishing, so you have a better idea what to look for and what to do with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts