Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Vendor
10,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Many here know what we do to stop the Hemi Tick, but we figured that since there are so many new faces here, they may not have heard that you don't have to have it in your engines. It occurs as the engine starts to break in and the parts settle in. You hear it more when the echo from a wall or another car is encountered.

We have discussed previously that there are 3 culprits that cause the "Hemi Ticking" that is heard in idle and just off idle.

1) Intake and exhaust valves do not have any kind of cushioning from the fuel. Fuel used to have higher amounts of sulfur and tetra ethyl or tetra methyl lead to lubricate and cushion intake and exhaust valves in the old days. When EPA decided to go to unleaded fuels, hardened valves and seats were produced trying to deal with the lack of lubricant. This was adequate at best, but did allow engines to live longer than if they had soft valves and seats. However, when they went to ethyl alcohol, that all changed. Alcohol absorbs moisture and strips lubricity. That was bad enough, but when they reduced the sulfur content from 130 parts per million (ppm) to 30 ppm, it really produced a perfect storm. Both the intake and exhaust valves are now hitting against the valve seats with no cushioning at all. This causes wear, and then of course....noise or TICK. It is heard most under the wheel well of the cars from inside or outside of the car!

2) Fuel injectors depend on at least 70 ppm of sulfur to stay alive. When EPA went to the ethyl alcohol and less than 30 ppm, they have no cushioning allowing them to click or tick also while building up gum and varnish. This restricts the flow of fuel and turns the vaporized spray pattern into an atomized spray pattern. Atomized fuel doesn't burn as well, and helps wash down into the cylinders and wipes out the detergents and dispersants much faster. This is the second part of the Hemi Tick.

3) Because the Hemi has a very short skirt with more “meat” of the piston above the floating piston pins and thin rings with virtually no land area, the piston wants to rock in the bores producing a slap or rod bearing sound. This is another reason for the moly piston skirt coatings. It is designed to cushion the short skirt. The problem is that as miles rack up, the molybdenum disulfide coating is worn off and a louder engine or tapping/knocking noise begins to occur. This is the third part of the Hemi Tick. This part actually contributes to more moly and aluminum in your oil analysis. An oil analysis is always important to do on any engine you want to take care of as a baseline, and then every 3rd oil change, do one just to be sure nothing is leaking or causing problems.

BND Automotive has addressed these issues by:

1) ACES IV Gasoline Formula introduced into your gasoline to replace the lack of lubricity. However, this is not just for the valves, but also for the injectors and the in tank fuel pump. The pump is cooled by the gasoline, but it needs plentiful or copious lubricity as well. ACES IV addresses these three issues to produce a protected, lubricated, and more powerful engine with a great quieting effect stopping 2 parts of the Hemi Tick. This is the injector and the valve ticking.

2) QuantumBlue Custom Blended Lubricants are designed for the different aspects that make up not just the piston slap by adding the right ratios of additives, but also producing much better filmstrength that is necessary to protect the Moly coating that is put on from the factory. This works great not just for the 5.7, 6.1, 6.4 and 6.2 Hellcat, but also the 2.7 and 3.5L and 3.6L Pentastar 4 valve Polyspheric Hemi V6 engines as well. Taking all these into consideration..... cast iron block or aluminum block, cast heads or aluminum heads, carbureted or injected, what RPMs and what mods are added to the car along with what temperatures and conditions the car will encounter matter. Salt from the sea shore is different than what comes from snow removal. Silicates from desert conditions and extra high temperatures need to be addressed as well. Really cold temperatures in Canada and British Columbia also need to be adjusted for. Upper cylinder rocker assemblies are important to consider whether single rocker (SOHC) V6 or double rocker shaft (DOHC) cam phased V6. The 5.7, 6.1, 6.2 and 6.4 also have duel rocker shafts and are a weak spot for scuffing. On the SRT engines, even a billet steel camshafts are scuffing and failing due to the lubricants made today whether MS-6395, MS-10725 or MS-12633. The typical off the shelf 5w20 and 0w40 oils is NOT protecting the camshafts. The rollers need to spin on the cam, and not slide. Without proper lubricity, correct films trength, and frictional capabilities of the lubricant, engine will damage and wear will occur!

These two in combination will address the Hemi Tick noises which will increase the life of your engine and keep your peace of mind.

Many here have taken advantage of these technologies and are now thinking about other things other than ticking HEMI engines since they don't make these noises any longer. :rocker:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
877 Posts
nice write up Brian!! I cannot wait to see what it does for me!

·
Registered
939 Posts
when I take it out of storage in late April, I am seriously thinking about a complete package to do all fluids and including the back end fluid. I believe you offer everything. I do all synthetic no, but since this is my second car and only drive it 6 moths a year, I would get away with one oil change a year. I don't drive it that much now that I store it for winters and drive 3 miles to work. Thinking of doing some track runs this year. Never have done it and with 56K on the car, I want it protected as good as she can be! Do you offer a discount for the complete kit for forum members (5.7l)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Brian, you should start an online physics / chemistry / engineering / automotive degree program. Under your mentoring I have learned much about these HEMI beasts we drive. I would be the first to enroll / subscribe to that.......you could effectively re-write the ASE requirements.......

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sounds exactly like what you told me on the phone today...here's to hoping I get some money back for my tax returns so I can pick up some aces!

·
Vendor
10,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how about v6 tickin ?
Vito,

Yes, we can put a blend together that will greatly reduce/eliminate the noises in the SOHC and DOHC engines!:clap:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040

·
Vendor
10,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a Tick under my hood that really scares me, what do you have for this one( pic is actual size). I'm freakin scared!
Wow!!!! can't chemically help on that one!

Does AR-15 mean anything!!?:biggrinjester: LOL

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I have a Tick under my hood that really scares me, what do you have for this one( pic is actual size). I'm freakin scared!
That's not a HEMI Tick! Brian, I believe you might be able to chemically help with this afterall -> QuantumBlue DEET.

·
Vendor
10,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's not a HEMI Tick! Brian, I believe you might be able to chemically help with this afterall -> QuantumBlue DEET.
Very hard to beat Deet! But we do make a really good oil!:D LOL:biggrinjester:

Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Vendor
10,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
when I take it out of storage in late April, I am seriously thinking about a complete package to do all fluids and including the back end fluid. I believe you offer everything.

Yes we do. Engine, Transmission, Differential, Steering System, Coolants, Greases, Anti-Corrosion Sprays for engine compartment, fuel products, interior protectors, carpet and vinyl cleaners and fabric protectors.

I do all synthetic now, but since this is my second car and only drive it 6 moths a year, I would get away with one oil change a year.

We can make you a QuantumBlue Engine Oil that is good for 10k miles or 2 years! I do that with my 2006 Charger SRT8 6.1 car. No worries here.

I don't drive it that much now that I store it for winters and drive 3 miles to work.

The QuantumBlue Anti-Corrosion Metal Dry Lubricant Spray would work great for storing your car so that you don't get the white filoform corrosion on your non painted and plated parts. Nothing like a grungy stored engine compartment to collect moisture and corrosion!

Thinking of doing some track runs this year. Never have done it and with 56K on the car, I want it protected as good as she can be! Do you offer a discount for the complete kit for forum members (5.7l)
We can make you a great blend and put a package together to really protect your beast and get a discount for doing it.

Just let me know what you want to do and we will work together to protect your beast!:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040

·
Vendor
10,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Robin :wave:
Hey Sparks, how's it going? Hows the new stuff for the car working? ;)

LMK

Thanks
Brian
440-821-9040

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I heard the next 007 film will be called the Quantum Blue of Solace....James Bond will be driving an SRT. Brian will play the part of "Q"......what do you think? Bond shows up to get his new wheels, and standing there next to the Charger is Brian in his lab smock.

·
Vendor
10,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I heard the next 007 film will be called the Quantum Blue of Solace....James Bond will be driving an SRT. Brian will play the part of "Q"......what do you think? Bond shows up to get his new wheels, and standing there next to the Charger is Brian in his lab smock.
Hey, Andy,

That would be pretty cool! I would do it!! LOL.

About time they get an SRT into the Bond films.....but the car would have to get all our fluids....you know.....to have a good reputation and make sure it would survive all the abuse etc!!:rocker:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Hey Sparks, how's it going? Hows the new stuff for the car working? ;)

LMK

Thanks
Brian
440-821-9040
Hi Brian,

It's going well. I'm still on my first batch of the QB 7.5w23 and have about 4,000 miles left to go before I'll need a change. I plan to change it at 6,000 mile intervals just so the dealer can't use it against me for warranty work (so they can't use too many miles between changes against me). When I do order more QB oil, I plan to also order the QB rear diff oil.

The big thing I've noticed since using the QB 7.5w23 is that the engine is much quieter. And to me, it only makes sense that less clatter (especially as a result of switching oils) means less wear is occuring. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
877 Posts
man I like to hear all these good things about brian's products. I got my qb oil sitting in the garage, and added the aces to the tank last night. Plan on getting her out in the next couple of weeks and putting that qb 7.5w23 in it as well as the hpgold coolant also. There are so many on here happy with it, i am sure i will be pleased.

·
Vendor
10,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
man I like to hear all these good things about brian's products. I got my qb oil sitting in the garage, and added the ACES to the tank last night. Plan on getting her out in the next couple of weeks and putting that qb 7.5w23 in it as well as the hpgold coolant also. There are so many on here happy with it, i am sure i will be pleased.
Hey, let us know how everything goes with the changeover and everything. Remember we are here after the sale of our products so if you run into something you need help with, don't hesitate to call us!!:bigthumb:

Enjoy them!

Regards
Brian
440-821-9040

1 - 20 of 46 Posts