Charger Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some clarification on the HEMI timing chain issue. I know that the recall is only for the 09-12 HEMI's, but are there any issues with the earlier (prior to 09) HEMI's with MDS, timing tensioners. I've read some info concerning the earlier HEMI's having the tensioners brake and causing catastrophic failures. Anyone out there have further insight into this issue? I'm concerned about having to deal with this issue with my baby!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
The early HEMI's have zero issues with timing chains and tensioners.....unless you are running a larger cam. And even then its hit or miss. If you plan on running a larger cam then you should look at running the 6.1 timing chain and tensioner. In stock trim you should not have any issues

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Even then, it apparently only affects the 3.06 geared cars.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I have a 12 hemi and I haven't received anything about a recall...is it a TSB or a full recall at this point? I have MDS disabled on my car so I feel my timing chain should be okay. I'm curious if it was only for a select few hemi cars in 2012 built during a few select months. Anyone have any insight?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I have a 12 hemi and I haven't received anything about a recall...is it a TSB or a full recall at this point? I have MDS disabled on my car so I feel my timing chain should be okay. I'm curious if it was only for a select few hemi cars in 2012 built during a few select months. Anyone have any insight?

Have you checked with your servicing dealer or the Dodge website http://www.Dodge.com under recall search to see if your vehicle is included in the Customer Satisfaction Notification P01- Engine Timing Chain and Chain Guide recall?
It involved the following vehicles.
2009-2012 (LC) Dodge Challenger
(LD) Dodge Charger
(LX) Chrysler 300
NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 5.7L Hemi engine (sales code EZD or EZH), automatic transmission (sales code DGJ) and rear axle ratio 3.06, 3.73 or 3.92 (sales code DMP, DME or DMH) built from August 04, 2008 through July 10, 2012 (MDH 080406 through 071008).

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Have you checked with your servicing dealer or the Dodge website http://www.Dodge.com under recall search to see if your vehicle is included in the Customer Satisfaction Notification P01- Engine Timing Chain and Chain Guide recall?

It involved the following vehicles.

2009-2012 (LC) Dodge Challenger

(LD) Dodge Charger

(LX) Chrysler 300

NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 5.7L Hemi engine (sales code EZD or EZH), automatic transmission (sales code DGJ) and rear axle ratio 3.06, 3.73 or 3.92 (sales code DMP, DME or DMH) built from August 04, 2008 through July 10, 2012 (MDH 080406 through 071008).

Well I bought my car in July of 2012 so it was definitely built within that time frame lol.

My question is, since I deactivated MDS is the recall a necessity?

I haven't checked with my dealer, I avoid the service department like the plague...every time there has been TSBs out for my car they tell me there isn't. I'm sure they'll have no idea about this recall as well.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Well I bought my car in July of 2012 so it was definitely built within that time frame lol.

My question is, since I deactivated MDS is the recall a necessity?

I haven't checked with my dealer, I avoid the service department like the plague...every time there has been TSBs out for my car they tell me there isn't. I'm sure they'll have no idea about this recall as well.

Yes, the recall should be performed.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
My car didn't come with 3.06 gears, I had them installed.

Do I need to have the timing belt replaced?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
I find it funny my car snapped the timing chain. My car was hacked back together by a dodge dealership. Dodge Corp. Will not help with the dealers crappy workmanship.
My car met all the criteria but was never in the recall list. Now i'm stuck with trying to take the dealer to court and I have to pay another dealership to fix this....
Dodge may care, but not about my car...

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've worked in the same dealership for 8 years and the most common thing I hear is "u built the damn thing" or "why cant u just replace it" Dealerships have licenses to sell and fix a company's product, dealerships dont work for Chrysler more like work with, thats why we dont find anything out any sooner then the public does, we dont built the damn things or have any say in there process, dealerships have to follow what they say, unfortunately from what I see on here there's alot of really crappy dealerships out there which makes me glad im at the 1 im at, they really try and take care of everyone they can without ripping them off, but dealerships cant just do stuff without Chryslers ok otherwise the dealers paying the bill

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,659 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
I find it funny my car snapped the timing chain. My car was hacked back together by a dodge dealership. Dodge Corp. Will not help with the dealers crappy workmanship.
My car met all the criteria but was never in the recall list. Now i'm stuck with trying to take the dealer to court and I have to pay another dealership to fix this....
Dodge may care, but not about my car...
That is odd, your car is a 2010 AWD, so it should fall under the recall. The recall letter that Chrysler sends to the customer states if you had this happen you send them adequate documentation and they will review it, and you'd get reimbursed within 60 days. Ask the dealer for a copy of the cars VIP report. This will show whether it has an open recall or not.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts