Charger Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to beat a dead horse but heres my question. With he introduction of the MDS system and the reqirement for 5W-20 oil what does eveyone plan on using, conventional or synthetic?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I too am interested on everyone's take on this. I've also asked my friend who does design, prototyping and troubleshooting on the LX platform this question. He's supposed to be asking the engineers if there is a potential issue with the MDS and Synthetic. I'll post what his reply is when I get it, but in the mean time, I'm curious what those who have switched to synthetic have found.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The owner's manual clearly states that either are acceptable provided they meet the criteria set forth therein as to quality. :happy:

·
Registered
112 Posts
500 Miles on the original, and then likely Synthetic.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
elcapitan87 said:
I too am interested on everyone's take on this. I've also asked my friend who does design, prototyping and troubleshooting on the LX platform this question. He's supposed to be asking the engineers if there is a potential issue with the MDS and Synthetic. I'll post what his reply is when I get it, but in the mean time, I'm curious what those who have switched to synthetic have found.

If you got a insider on this keep us updated.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
i went with penzoil 5w-20 conventional...but really really want to try out that extended mobil 1 synthetic. anyone using it?

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
I have it on VERY goos authority that synthetic is just fine. But not following viscosity recommendations on MDS equipped motors could cause issues.

See, MDS is programmed for a certain viscosity. If you new viscosity prevents the MDS from ever seeing the right conditions to trigger MDS activation, then it will set a code. After so many repeats of the code, the CEL will light.

Short form, use whatever brand you wish, normal or synthetic, as long as it meets the DCX spec for the correct oil, and of course the right viscosity.

If it were me, it would be Mobil 1, changes as recommended on the severe schedule.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
GLHS837 said:
I have it on VERY goos authority .........

I don't trust goos.... :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Currently I have Mobil 1 full synthetic 5W20 in my R/T, but I'm changing the oil tomorrow for my long trip to Brunswick Maine. Replacing the Mobil 1 with AMSOIL 7500 5W20.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Brunswick, eh Kirby? What draws you up there?

·
Registered
131 Posts
The Navy, NAS Brunswick. Not sure if I'll do my entire tour there, since BRAC is closing it down. I'll probably turn right around and go back to Jacksonville Florida. 7 years until retirement. :happy:

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Figured:) I did three of my active years up there as an Inflight ordie in VP-23. Then did 8 years reserve IFO with VP-92, flying up from here at NAS Pax:) Retired April 2004.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
GLHS837 said:
Figured:) I did three of my active years up there as an Inflight ordie in VP-23. Then did 8 years reserve IFO with VP-92, flying up from here at NAS Pax:) Retired April 2004.
And on behalf of the Maloy family, THANK YOU!!!!!! You too KURBY!!! :happy: :happy:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts