Charger Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I used to do a lot of drag racing in the mid 90s and used to bracket race a stick shift SN95 Mustang on street tires. Then I got wise and went for slicks.

The technique for launching on street tires is to hold the car on the converter and then launch smoothly. It's more like squeezing the trigger on a gun as opposed to jerking it (do with that reference what you will!).

For my R/T: 1500 RPM on the converter, let off of the brake, roll on to the gas evenly
For my R/T Scat Pack: 1800 RPM on the converter, let off the brake, roll on to the gas evenly

My launch RPM is almost always the same independent of weather. Where I make my adjustments is with my right foot. On a perfect launch, you should hear the tires chirping slightly as you accelerate. If you don't hear anything after letting go of the brake, it means the right foot needs to be a bit more aggressive. If the tires spin, it means you need to slow down a bit when pressing the loud pedal. If you launch and the nose falls over that means a little more RPM is helpful (provided you're not driving through the converter). On a good launch you should also feel the nose rise as weight is transferred to the rear.

It's a dance and it takes time to get the feel of the car!

With 4.10 gears in my Mustang on all season street tires, I've cut a 1.71 60' which is very respectable.

Now since you mentioned the VR4, I'm also a former Mitsubishi nut! I built a 98 Eclipse GSX (AWD) from a slow 14 second dog into an 11.8 monster with a 2.3 stroker on a small turbo, street tires and pump gas. Hold the e-brake, mash the gas, build 7-8 psi on the stutter box and let it rip. Used to run consistent 1.59 - 1.61 60' times on sticky Falken FK-451s. What a rip! I sold it in 2008 and still miss that car. It was a lot of fun.

Anyway, practice practice practice! And don't hold the car on the converter for more than 4-5 seconds. It increases temps in the trans fluid very quickly. Also allow cool downs in between runs.

Good luck sir!
Thanks Hazmat, that's some great stuff.

Oh and tell me your GSX wasn't silver?! Seemed like everyone had a silver GSX or GST back in my day. My VR4 was the stupidly rare charcoal grey that almost looked black. Need to find pics...not sure if any are left.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Thanks Hazmat, that's some great stuff.

Oh and tell me your GSX wasn't silver?! Seemed like everyone had a silver GSX or GST back in my day. My VR4 was the stupidly rare charcoal grey that almost looked black. Need to find pics...not sure if any are left.
I hope it helps! It's just a matter of feel based on how the car reacts to weather, road surface and mechanical grip. You'll get it!

My GSX was actually Jade Green which was rather uncommon. I owned it when I lived in Auburn, Indiana. The stock 4G went to the crapper shortly after I bought it (rod knock) and I had the entire bottom end redone with forged components at 8.8:1 and increased displacement to 2.3. I ran Crower Cams with 7 degrees of advance on the intake. The lope in that thing sounded like a three rotor RX-7. For tuning, I used a 1991 Eprom ECU with a custom chip.

What made the chip tuning so cool was that the tuner worked back and forth with me to establish custom A/F, timing and fuel maps based on my feedback. This was all seat of the pants, with no real data logging except for monitoring knock on the stock boost gauge. I ran a 50 trim turbo on a Dejon Powerhouse side mount intake since the goal was to make the car as fast as possible and prove that you could run 11s without resorting to front mounts and standalone tuning.

My ONLY mistake in setting up the tune is that I would run very low ignition timing (about 7 degrees max) so that I could run higher levels of boost. This meant that I wouldn't see full spool on the turbo until about 4400 RPM. A 50 trim is pretty small and should be fully spooled by closer to 3800. My problem is that I over prioritized boost over timing and ended up taking the turbo out of it's effective VE range. I should have run it at around 24-25 psi at 12-14 degrees of timing. Instead I ran it at 30 and only 7 degrees. The torque peak was shifted much higher than it should have been which contributed to the late spool. We logged it for airflow and it moved 51.5 lbs of air. That's 515 crank horsepower!

I really should have been running something in the 60mm range instead. I'm sure that 50 trim was acting like a hair dryer half way down the track!

I got rid of boost controllers and simply kept adding springs to my Tial waste gate until it got me to 30 psi. I got very creative on the exhaust since I don't like the sound of an open dump and had an exhaust shop re-route the dump back into the 3" downpipe after the cat. You could still hear it open up in the exhaust but it wasn't obnoxious in the least. Oh and the cat internals were completely bashed out but able to pass a visual in case they wanted to look underneath.

It was still a monster on the street though and would occasionally want to pull sideways on a 2-3 flat shift. And it was just stunning to look at (beige leather interior).

I have a full size photograph laying around somewhere but attached this. The car was featured in a DSM Tuners calendar. My wife took this (film shot) at the local rail yard. I know it's small but you can get a good idea of what the car looked like.

It was one sick ride. The license plate (which I still wish I had) was RTLNHUM (rattle and hum).

Enjoy and I look forward to seeing some shots of the VR-4!

Attachments

Reactions: JCE

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I hope it helps! It's just a matter of feel based on how the car reacts to weather, road surface and mechanical grip. You'll get it!

My GSX was actually Jade Green which was rather uncommon. I owned it when I lived in Auburn, Indiana. The stock 4G went to the crapper shortly after I bought it (rod knock) and I had the entire bottom end redone with forged components at 8.8:1 and increased displacement to 2.3. I ran Crower Cams with 7 degrees of advance on the intake. The lope in that thing sounded like a three rotor RX-7. For tuning, I used a 1991 Eprom ECU with a custom chip.

What made the chip tuning so cool was that the tuner worked back and forth with me to establish custom A/F, timing and fuel maps based on my feedback. This was all seat of the pants, with no real data logging except for monitoring knock on the stock boost gauge. I ran a 50 trim turbo on a Dejon Powerhouse side mount intake since the goal was to make the car as fast as possible and prove that you could run 11s without resorting to front mounts and standalone tuning.

My ONLY mistake in setting up the tune is that I would run very low ignition timing (about 7 degrees max) so that I could run higher levels of boost. This meant that I wouldn't see full spool on the turbo until about 4400 RPM. A 50 trim is pretty small and should be fully spooled by closer to 3800. My problem is that I over prioritized boost over timing and ended up taking the turbo out of it's effective VE range. I should have run it at around 24-25 psi at 12-14 degrees of timing. Instead I ran it at 30 and only 7 degrees. The torque peak was shifted much higher than it should have been which contributed to the late spool. We logged it for airflow and it moved 51.5 lbs of air. That's 515 crank horsepower!

I really should have been running something in the 60mm range instead. I'm sure that 50 trim was acting like a hair dryer half way down the track!

I got rid of boost controllers and simply kept adding springs to my Tial waste gate until it got me to 30 psi. I got very creative on the exhaust since I don't like the sound of an open dump and had an exhaust shop re-route the dump back into the 3" downpipe after the cat. You could still hear it open up in the exhaust but it wasn't obnoxious in the least. Oh and the cat internals were completely bashed out but able to pass a visual in case they wanted to look underneath.

It was still a monster on the street though and would occasionally want to pull sideways on a 2-3 flat shift. And it was just stunning to look at (beige leather interior).

I have a full size photograph laying around somewhere but attached this. The car was featured in a DSM Tuners calendar. My wife took this (film shot) at the local rail yard. I know it's small but you can get a good idea of what the car looked like.

It was one sick ride. The license plate (which I still wish I had) was RTLNHUM (rattle and hum).

Enjoy and I look forward to seeing some shots of the VR-4!
Man sounds like you spent a ton of time on that bad boy! Loved that green, was my favorite color for those. I'll see if I cannot find any pics--though I never had an opportunity to really get any good ones. It was back in 2000 after all and digital cameras sucked! :(

·
Registered
938 Posts
Man sounds like you spent a ton of time on that bad boy! Loved that green, was my favorite color for those. I'll see if I cannot find any pics--though I never had an opportunity to really get any good ones. It was back in 2000 after all and digital cameras sucked! :(
I did spend a lot of time in it, on it, under it. It was a constant effort of tweaking and making sure everything was working correctly. Truth be told it became a major pain in the ass and a hassle. That's the consequence of running at the limit all the time.I bought it for 9k, put 10k into it and sold it for 11k just to get out from under it. I enjoyed it but would have done things a little more middle of the road to make it more livable.

Looking forward to you finding some shots if you have any. AWD launch on a VR-4 was fun stuff!

To the OP: Sorry for jacking your thread!

Back to 0-60 times...

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Back on Topic. So for the first time since owning my SP I decided to give this 0-60 stuff a go. It has never been something I really cared about all that much but WTH.

Weather today is Sunny and 56. Roads are warming a bit with the sun. Found some back roads and did a few light burns to heat up the skinny GY tires. Ran 6 runs and the best I could manage was 4.8. Not bad considering the temp. and the skinny GY. Used launch control with rpms set at 1750 and full traction control for the best run. Tried without launch control and hit 4.9. I also tried it with traction control in sport/limited and all I did was spin and spin.

It will be interesting if my times improve this summer with warmer weather and more practice even with the skinny GY. I know a few guys have managed 4.3 at the track with these tires so we sill see.

All in all a fun time with the Scat. Stopped at the liquor store on the way home and picked up a bottle of whiskey. Time for a few beverages on the deck. Come on Spring.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Back on Topic. So for the first time since owning my SP I decided to give this 0-60 stuff a go. It has never been something I really cared about all that much but WTH.

Weather today is Sunny and 56. Roads are warming a bit with the sun. Found some back roads and did a few light burns to heat up the skinny GY tires. Ran 6 runs and the best I could manage was 4.8. Not bad considering the temp. and the skinny GY. Used launch control with rpms set at 1750 and full traction control for the best run. Tried without launch control and hit 4.9. I also tried it with traction control in sport/limited and all I did was spin and spin.

It will be interesting if my times improve this summer with warmer weather and more practice even with the skinny GY. I know a few guys have managed 4.3 at the track with these tires so we sill see.

All in all a fun time with the Scat. Stopped at the liquor store on the way home and picked up a bottle of whiskey. Time for a few beverages on the deck. Come on Spring.

Cheers

If I manage 4.9s stock will you be upset with me? >:)

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
If I manage 4.9s stock will you be upset with me? >:)

Not at all that would be awesome for a stock RT. :bowdown: Almost record setting. No my problem is the temp/tires. The engine just overpowers everything. When I took off traction control it was a shit show of smoke even after backing off on the throttle and hitting it again. Lol.

Im thinking with better weather, sticker tires and dropping my rpms to 1500 with launch control and TC on I can get into low 4s stock. Ill give it a go again when we are warmer.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Not at all that would be awesome for a stock RT. :bowdown: Almost record setting. No my problem is the temp/tires. The engine just overpowers everything. When I took off traction control it was a shit show of smoke even after backing off on the throttle and hitting it again. Lol.

Im thinking with better weather, sticker tires and dropping my rpms to 1500 with launch control and TC on I can get into low 4s stock. Ill give it a go again when we are warmer.
Keep us posted. I'm going to use my tazer to unlock the performance pages on my EVIC and give it a go when the conditions are right. I suspect my fat ass will keep me above 5.0s. LOL

·
Registered
938 Posts

I agree with this. The stock tire compound is more of an issue than the section width but the combination of a 275 and a stickier compound (i.e. less than 280) would be the best.I'll be trying the same thing around May or June and should have decent results.

I'm seeing the same conditions in my area and really haven't bothered with it yet since the surface is just too cold.

Like you, I really don't care what the car runs which is why I likely won't track it but it would be interesting to see what it does 0-60 just for fun.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Not at
Like you, I really don't care what the car runs which is why I likely won't track it but it would be interesting to see what it does 0-60 just for fun.
Hazmat11, If I don't upgrade the tires I'm thinking I should at least drop the pressure in the GYs to 28 lbs and try it with 1/4 tank gas. See what happens and yes don't care and more for fun. Cheers

·
Registered
938 Posts
Hazmat11, If I don't upgrade the tires I'm thinking I should at least drop the pressure in the GYs to 28 lbs and try it with 1/4 tank gas. See what happens and yes don't care and more for fun. Cheers
Sounds like a good strategy to get a little more grip and flatten the contact patch.

I'm all for repeatable results so that's probably not something I would do because that's not how I would drive it on the street (no criticisms or judgements there!).

Still very interested in hearing how that works out. I've heard good feedback but never tried it for myself.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Sounds like a good strategy to get a little more grip and flatten the contact patch.

I'm all for repeatable results so that's probably not something I would do because that's not how I would drive it on the street (no criticisms or judgements there!).

Still very interested in hearing how that works out. I've heard good feedback but never tried it for myself.
I would only lower the pressure for the runs. I have a few spots that are wide open country roads for playing around. Id put the pressure back to 32 afterwards. Not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Cheers
That is pretty good for first times on the RSA2. With bald F1s (stock 245/45R20) I got 4.9 launching at 1500 RPM. Turned on sport mode (NOT a good idea with launch control on) and had massive amounts of smoke and tire spin.

GTO_04

Reactions: Playhard

·
Registered
1 Posts
What kinda tires and how good condition are they in? I gained a couple 10th's when I put new Pirellis on my RT - I CANT spin em after the 1st second or so now, I used to could light em up a LOT easier, it's night and day.* I've never bothered deflating the back tires but I know that makes a difference, but I dont know how much. I dont think it matters much for me since I can pretty much just floor it from the go, but it'd definitely help you.

Car warmed up but not hot. Colder weather gives faster runs. Weight reduction where possible - no passengers, gas tank near empty. I basically just floor it as much as I can without breaking the tires loose - traction control off. 5.1 is disappointing for a 392, my 5.7 RT is doing 5.2-5.3 bone stock. 5.6-5.7 in hot weather riding 4-deep so all those variables only account for maybe 1/2 second tops, so I doubt you'll go from 5.1 to low 4's.

Which has me wondering how well tuned your motor is. I'm not a motor guy but maybe you need new plugs or your air/fuel tweaked, clean air filter, or ?
practically a brand new car and you think he might need new plugs/ air filter etc ?? LMAO my bone stock 98 Trans Am with LS1 automatic does 0-60 in 4.5 with 85k miles LMAO-I think you need a real car not overpriced grocery getter LOL

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is the correct method of doing these times to light throttle off the line then stomp on it? I found my acceleration is pretty good using this method. I need to add the performance pages on my '16 R/T but I'm pretty sure I'm getting a good time (5.3s or so) even considering my extra weight because I'm fat. LOL Should I expect 5.1~5.3s with my '16 or can it get 5.0s or faster with a proper launch? Altitude is less than 600ft and the morning temps are still in the mid-50's or low-60's in the AM around here so conditions are good.

I know 0-60 is just bragging rights and all but that metric is important to me. I'd like to see if I can get this Charger faster stock (mid muffler delete) than my old 3000GT VR4 which still is the fastest car I've ever owned at 4.9s 0-60 stock. I'm willing to bet my new Charger is likely going to be faster at everything but 0-20 because AWD > RWD for off-the-line traction. I miss that VR4 sometimes. Such a fast and beautiful car that was.
My best was 4.9 until today. Pulled a 4.5 on GY F1 stock tires.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Launch control is different on my 2019 Scat Pack compared to my 2015. How much difference does the line lock make? My 2015 didn't have that. Even though HP and TQ are identical between the 2015 and 2019, the throttle response feels quicker on the 2019.

GTO_04

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Well since we are into bumping old threads...

I've had my 392 for almost 5 years and finally decided to mess with the SRT pages.

Ran a 15.9 quarter mile because I was like, "oh the timer started!". 2nd run a managed a 13.1.

As for 0-60, run 1 was a 5.9....smh, same thing again, not paying attention. 2nd run I managed a 4.9 on the screen.

Full tank of gas on a back road with groceries, so whatever I guess lol.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts