Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
That is the coolant crossover housing, mostly commonly mistakenly called a thermostat housing. Very common leak on a 2.7L. The actual thermostat and housing is on the side of the engine block on the left side.

Although they make aftermarket replacements, don't waste your money. They have the bleeder on the top of the housing, which is prone to leaking. Get one through Mopar.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well as I tried to take the old one off I find that there what looks to be other parts to it. The part where the metal piece comes out also has what looks like a support arm that looks like it connects to the engine and also has a small wire assembly attached to it. It's not simply unscrewing the 6 screws and popping it off and putting the new one on.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The small wire assembly is the coolant temp sensor. Slide the red clip up then squeeze the tab on the connector to pull it off. The tube runs in the valley of the block and comes out the back where one of the heater hoses attaches. There may or may not be a bolt to remove back there to allow the tube to pull out and replace the housing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And if there is a bolt on that tube is it easy to get to? or do I have to take top off where the carburetor used to be if they still made cars like that

·
Registered
626 Posts
If you mean the intake plenum (upper intake manifold) then no. You just have to reach behind the engine and remove the bolt. You could remove the wiper/cowl screens and have a little better access back there, but it isn't necessary.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts