Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 rt and for some reason I can't get the coolant to stop leaking from where the thermostat meets the block. Please help, I replaced the thermostat 3 times now and it still leaks.
Just another problem to add to my lemon:frown2:

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
I have an 07 rt and for some reason I can't get the coolant to stop leaking from where the thermostat meets the block. Please help, I replaced the thermostat 3 times now and it still leaks.
Just another problem to add to my lemon:frown2:
Do you have pics of where it's leaking? The T-stat sits over the top of the water pump and sometimes the leaking is actually coming from the water pump gasket not the t-stat.

It could also be that you have a cracked or warped t-stat housing.

If the mounting surface isn't square then a little RTV added to the t-stat gasket during install can correct the issue by forming a silicone seal along the uneven surface. If it's got a hairline crack, it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have pics of where it's leaking? The T-stat sits over the top of the water pump and sometimes the leaking is actually coming from the water pump gasket not the t-stat.

It could also be that you have a cracked or warped t-stat housing.

If the mounting surface isn't square then a little RTV added to the t-stat gasket during install can correct the issue by forming a silicone seal along the uneven surface. If it's got a hairline crack, it needs to be replaced.
Would coolant leak from the water pump?

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Would coolant leak from the water pump?
It can leak from around the gasket. I have just that issue on my car right now. It's leaking just under the t-stat near the cam position sensor. I need to have it replaced.

It took me and the dealer quite a while to figure out where the leak was actually coming from.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It can leak from around the gasket. I have just that issue on my car right now. It's leaking just under the t-stat near the cam position sensor. I need to have it replaced.

It took me and the dealer quite a while to figure out where the leak was actually coming from.
Yeah it is hard to figure out where it's leaking from, do you have a pic of the cam position sensor, so I know where to look. There is also a sensor that has threads showing near the t stat, that looks like it's not screwed in all the way.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Yeah it is hard to figure out where it's leaking from, do you have a pic of the cam position sensor, so I know where to look. There is also a sensor that has threads showing near the t stat, that looks like it's not screwed in all the way.
Here is the shop manual diagram that I highlighted...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
That pic makes it look like the water pump is above the t stat,
It's behind it and just below the plane of the t-stat, not above it. The shop manual drawing is made from the perspective of looking down at the engine from about a 60° angle.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
See if this helps. You can see the staining from the coolant. Although some is up next to the t-stat, the leak is actually from the water pump gasket...

Attachments

·
Registered
679 Posts
I had a very small leak (could smell coolant when stopped but couldn't see any leaks) that was driving me nuts

Was ready to replace the water pump but decided to try a new neck first, installed a billet one with a new t-stat and problem solved.

Glad I started with the little things first

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
See if this helps. You can see the staining from the coolant. Although some is up next to the t-stat, the leak is actually from the water pump gasket...

Well I got home today to a smoking engine bay, so I opened the hood and coolant was leaking out everywhere. It is hard to tell where it was coming from, but it looked like it might have been coming from the bottom radiator hose that connects to the block, or maybe from the hose itself. Do I have to take off the whole bumper and radiator to get to the water pump gasket it that was the cause?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Can a thermostat housing gasket be used to fix a leak between the housing and block, or should the housing itself be replaced? I see the gaskets for sale, but don't see them anywhere else (being used).

I'm actually just going to pick up a new Thermostat Housing from my dealer today. Under $30 so not too bad, part # 53021536AC for anyone else who needs one. And heres a picture of what my problem was, might be the same as the OP. Don't know. It looks like my housing is warped along the top, causing the leak.

(I only checked my engine bay and noticed the leak because of a whining noise, hopefully this fixes it)

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'll answer my own question, with an update.

No, do not use that gasket. The gaskets are not used on the Hemi.

I picked up the new Thermostat Housing, and put it on. No leaks, let it warm up and that whining noise went away as well.

To the OP. From looking at your picture, it looks like it might be the same kind of leak I had.

Look around the Thermostat housing (#1) in those images, if you see any kind of gunk around it try getting a new one. Its pretty easy to do, hardest part was separating the housing from the hose. (use the gallon ziplock bag to catch fluid as you undo those two bolts connecting the housing to the block)

Hope it helps, good luck!

·
Registered
716 Posts
I used the gasket. No problems for the last 20,000 miles. It would leak a few months after replacing with just the rubber o ring, so I did both, leak free.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Replacing the thermostat housing and cleaning the area really well prior to re-assembly seems to be the answer to the problem.

Unless it is the pump or pump gasket, then it (either pump or gasket) has to be replaced.

A service manual is seriously needed, but you can get by on videos and write-ups on here for most of it.

Griz

1 - 16 of 16 Posts