Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain some of the abbreviations to me?

What is WOT?
What is HAL?

I know I am forgetting something.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
467 Posts
WOT- wide open throttle (i.e pedal to metal)
HAL- computer system(s) related to traction control/engine management
believe it was the nickname of computer or robot from old show/movie. others may know specifically

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hal is........

I believe I could be wrong, but I think he was the computer in the movie "A Space Odyssey"

·
Registered
10,655 Posts
Yes, HAL is from 2001. Interesting side note.... the name HAL was derived by going one lower on all the letters of IBM.... the premier (at the time) computer manufacturer when the book/movie came out.
Go ahead, try it. hehe

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yes, HAL is from 2001. Interesting side note.... the name HAL was derived by going one lower on all the letters of IBM.... the premier (at the time) computer manufacturer when the book/movie came out.
Go ahead, try it. hehe
Hehe, I will refrain from calling you a geek for knowing that.....cuz I knew it too.

·
Registered
10,655 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Go ahead, try it. hehe
Arthur C. Clarke wrote the screen play and said that he was extremely embarrassed when that was pointed out to him. He said IBM was very helpful in supplying him with both computers and technical advise during the making of the film. He publicly apologized to IBM for the comparison that an IBM computer would kill people as HAL did. He chose the name HAL to shorten Heuristic/ALgorithmic; the true name of the computer.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Srt8

S=Street
R=Racing
T=Technology
8=cylinders

Not sure about R/T myself

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
R/T should stand for "Road and Track" which is kind of strange considering that there's an option package called the "Road and Track Performance Group" that can be added to an R/T.

Some have suggested that R/T could also mean "Rapid Transit" (Plymouth had a Rapid Transit System group of muscle cars) but that name wasn't really adopted by Dodge as far as I know.

·
Registered
723 Posts
HAHAHA the dealer told us that R/T meant racing technology when we got our car.

R/T should stand for "Road and Track" which is kind of strange considering that there's an option package called the "Road and Track Performance Group" that can be added to an R/T.

Some have suggested that R/T could also mean "Rapid Transit" (Plymouth had a Rapid Transit System group of muscle cars) but that name wasn't really adopted by Dodge as far as I know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts