1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My knowledge of car's exhaust system goes like this:

Engine--Header--Cat-- Resonator--Muffler--Tip

Note: I know there are two cats now.

I've been reading about exhaust systems on LX (Hemi) and it seems to go like this:

Engine--Header--Cat--Muffler (Suitecase)--Resonator--Tip

Is this correct?

How about the 3.5V6? Is it the same layout?

If so, I'm looking at the Borla system for V6, it seems to have "two mufflers" on a single tip system.

http://www.borla.com/applications/lookup.aspx/2007/Dodge/Charger/SXTT-304_Stainless_Steel_Cat-Back_System/140161/

Why so? I know the resonator is sort of like a muffler, but it's not in some ways. So why does it have two mufflers? To keep it more quiet?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
ok in that picture. the Y goes on top of the muffler with no tip.

the muffler with the tip goes out into the bottom of the other muffler.

the catalytic converters from your headers [ut out 2 pipes, connect to the Y.. down to one, thru a muffler.... thru some pipes, into a muffler, out the tip.

our suitcase is basically 2 of those put together.... so you have half the suitcase... that one muffler... and a reso with a tip on it.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Here's a shot of the 5.7 exhaust.

·
Registered
1 Posts
the v8 duel system above is the same for the v6 except for the two exhaust modules and tips..... after the cat converters it goes into a y-pipe then into the muffler then resonator.... am i correct? if so then if i was remove from the y-pipe back and replace it with dual glass pack cherry bombs... would that make a nice sound?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
i believe the v6 has a Y pipe instead of an xpipe and just becomes 1 pipe shortly after the cats.

basically all you do is replaced the ypipe with an xpipe and it slides right in.

i think

i drew this in CAD at work one day to help some people out.

this is the original.. decided i had to improve so i made the above

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
btw... to the orignal poster,
in the picture you posted...

the Y pipe you see goes right behind the catted down pipes, in place of the xpipe you see in my drawing.

the first muffler on the left of that picture goes where the "suitcase" is. then the next muffler with the tip goes further downstream where the "resos" are.

just like the factory v6 setup, just a better/louder/more free flowing mufflers. and probably weigh a good bit less too.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
2006 LX parts manual - 06lx.pdf

Check out the 2006 LX parts manual. Google for " 06lx.pdf " and you'll find it. It's a big file, ~12MB, but worth having as a reference. Group 011 is Exhaust.

·
Registered
616 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I need to save this pic ^^^^^. Any chance you got one just like it for a V6?

·
Registered
616 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ok. This is by far not the best. But it serves its purpuse.

Attachments

·
Registered
616 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts