Charger Forums banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

· Registered
1,127 Posts
Excellent idea! Perhaps one of the supporting vendors would consider "printing" these on a extremely hi-tac adhesive type of decal so that the true owner can slap 'em on the inside portion of the wheel instead of a simple "note"???? I'd think that would be a better option rather than having a note rolling around inside the wheel all loose and what not. Besides, depending on what the note is printed on, versus an applied decal, it would be subject to the weather extremes, etc
HEIDI COME QUICK
BILLET TECH "OMFG WOWZRZ YOU STOLE MY WEELZ U N00B" KITS!!!!

That would be way too stylin

· Registered
724 Posts
Could you imagine what the person who puts on your new tires would think if they saw that without you saying anything first? :lol:

I know, that is the point of this and it is a good idea. Maybe you could talk to someone like Matt at Reflective Concepts. You could stick it on there and it will stay, plus is removable later.

I just wish some lug locks could be made that there is no way to get them off without your key. I doubt it will ever happen because the thieves will just adapt to it.

· Registered
212 Posts
how about writing it on the inner part of the rim in perm. Pen. they have some that are water resistant and would last until you had to change your tires again, they just fix it up when you do!!

· Registered
12 Posts

i've etched everything now with a dremel and even wrote my address on the inside of my subs and box.

i'm wiring a dvr system to tape my property too... and i have an alarm, tilt sensor and motion lights..

lol. i'm about as secure as i'm going to get..

but in the case something does get stolen, it's going to be near impossible to relocate anything anyway. and anyone that buys wheels, radios, subs etc off the street at crackhead prices probably isn't going to care if it has my name etched all over it.

it's really there in case i'm able to find them later, or the small chance that someone does care who the real owner is, or if they get confiscated back by the police.

· Registered
1,255 Posts
Alternate wording...

How about something like this:

"Since these rims are off the car, there's probably a jack handle around here somewhere. If the guy selling them isn't [FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME], please hit him upside the head with it."

· Registered
22,172 Posts
I was thinking of putting in lojack valve stems....:smoke:
...since you've had suck good luck with your car's wireless systems... let's add more! :grin:

· Registered
1,090 Posts
With this in mind, please have good photos and descriptions of the items in and on the vehicle in the event they are stolen.

Most stolen property is never returned to a victim partly due to the inability to match the recovered property with a victim.

Pawn shops are full. :)

· Registered
724 Posts
Instead of puttingthe label on the rim ( via tape or some pricey heavy duty sticker) why not use a clear plastic label holder??? you could liquid nail it to the rim and if you sell the rims, ride or what ever, dismount and change the card with the new owners information..............................KSS

· Registered
335 Posts
Some things that should be taken into consideration. When putting heavier items in the inside of your rim i.e. metal plates, the balance of your wheels will be off dramatically. 1 pound of weight spinning at 65 mph approx. weighs 35 pounds. Also, this is a wise idea when you have invested so much into your aftermarket rim/tires, but there is nothing stopping the accused thief from saying that he bought them at the local swap meet. At least though there is a small chance of you getting them back.

· Registered
588 Posts
What is the tire guy supposed to do when he sees this note? Call the Police? Then what? Even if the Police come to the shop, you have to tell your customer that you called the Cops on him. It turns into a big mess and you can't bill the customer for the work, which is the only reason the shop is there in the first place.

· Registered
6,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I guess it depends on the tire shop.

The tire shop could notify the original owner via the telephone number and gather as much information from the person who brought the wheels/tires to them. Then the owner could work with the police using that information to help track down their stolen goods.

· Registered
86 Posts
How about serial numbers?

Maybe the manufacturers could start putting serial numbers on the rims. Everything else (even much less expensive items) has serial numbers. Ownership could be tracked/transferred/verified with them.

· Registered
576 Posts
wow great idea!

· Registered
36 Posts
great idea :cool: kudos to you.

· Registered
2,201 Posts
It would be nice if the vendors, Tirerack, Discount, etc. would provide an option of engraving the rim prior to shipping. Could be a standard msg or personal one inside the rim or spoke.

· Registered
12 Posts
Here is another thought...

If your wheels are stolen, and you are picky about your rims, you probably would not want them back, as they will probably be scratched to some extent.

Even though you will more than likely have a deductible to pay, you would be better off letting your insurance buy you replacement wheels.

This might also be a good time to buy the "new style" rims that you really wanted instead of your former ones.

· Registered
244 Posts
The shop by my house will stamp your vin# or the last 5 of your social into the backside of the rim. It worked for me when my motorcycle got stolen.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.