Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I am disappointed that the 2015 is not releasing an AWD with the V8 engine. I am setting up some test drives here soon but I wanted to get input from people on the differences between the 2014 AWD with V8 / 5 speed engine compared to an 2015 AWD with V6 / 8 speed engine.

AWD is fairly important to me as I have mainly been a Subaru owner and live where there is a decent amount of snow so I'm not sure I could get used to a RWD where I live.

From what I've read the 5 speed is really only noticeable in the V6, but I wanted to ask those who are in the know. Is there any other considerations I am missing?

Thank you for your thoughts and I appreciate your response.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
The 8 speed won't make up for a 90 HP difference.

If you want HP, get the '14. There is nothing wrong with the 5 speed tranny.

Reactions: GTO_04

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
I had two different V8 5 speed (Charger and Challenger), now have the V6 8 speed. The 8 speed is a lot more fun to drive, in my opinion (unless you're just interested in straight line speed)

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I live in West Michigan, where we average 100+ inches of snow a season, and have never felt the need for AWD. heck, I don't even have winter tires. I'd invest in Blizzaks before AWD. AWD doesn't help you stop on icy roads and only has a minimal impact on steering on icy roads, too...

·
Registered
735 Posts
can't give you direct comparisons but folks will tell you how RWD is fine but in reality not that great. Yea you can get winter tires but if you live in a hilly area and have to drive your car in winter conditions, AWD will do a lot better.
Personally, when going from 5.7 to 6.4. Pretty big difference. So if you are looking for power and some wheel spin action, v8 is the way to go.
the clunky transmission does kinda suck but the only problem is around 30 to 50 miles per hour where there is some kind of dead spot and the tranny thinks for a second before changing gears. You can go around it and use pedal shifters. I encounter it when entering a highway or just gunning it. If you get a 2014, you maybe able to get a pretty big discount for a loaded car so maybe just get it, if you hate it, trade it in for a minimal loss.

recently during an ice storm, I had to cancel my trip because the car just didn't perform as it needed to be safe for the entire family.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I had two different V8 5 speed (Charger and Challenger), now have the V6 8 speed. The 8 speed is a lot more fun to drive, in my opinion (unless you're just interested in straight line speed)

Could you please expound on why the 8sp is more fun? Not being a smart a$$, looking at my car only a 15 with the 8sp right now.
Thanks

Edit: also not trying to hijack

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
Could you please expound on why the 8sp is more fun? Not being a smart a$$, looking at my car only a 15 with the 8sp right now.
Thanks

Edit: also not trying to hijack
I find that the 8sp stays on the power curve better. The five speed too frequently felt like it was looking for the right gear. I think that was caused by the programming favoring fuel economy. With the 8sp I get great gas mileage and the snappiness I like when driving winding back roads.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
You could become a cop and get the police edition of the '15, which has the V8 and AWD.
The Police Package for '15 with AWD and the V8 still uses the 5 speed tranny that '14 did on regular AWD V8 Chargers. It can be purchased by anyone and isn't limited to LEOs.

There is nothing to be gained from that other than the new sheet metal and the police package won't have all of the options that a civilian '14 AWD V8 has available.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Get the '14 V8 AWD and then immediately buy a TranZformer shift kit. It changes the way the tranny responds and makes it much more performance orientated. Plus you get a line lock and launch mode feature all for $200. Really can't beat it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a 2015 R/T Road & Track after test driving the 2014 R/T AWD left over. The 2015 is a much funner car to drive. I traded in a 4WD SUV and was worried about driving it in the winter. Winter tires are a must. After putting on the winter tires and throwing a little weight in the trunk I have had no issues in the midwest this winter. The 8spd makes a huge difference in performance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Police Package for '15 with AWD and the V8 still uses the 5 speed tranny that '14 did on regular AWD V8 Chargers. It can be purchased by anyone and isn't limited to LEOs.

There is nothing to be gained from that other than the new sheet metal and the police package won't have all of the options that a civilian '14 AWD V8 has available.

Thanks for that info. I was wondering why the police could get the V8 and not the public. I thought they used the 8 speed. Even though Dodge say's low sales for the AWD Hemi are the reason no AWD V8 is offered, (Same reason for no 300 V8 AWD), I have read elsewhere that it is really because of glitches they have getting it to work with the new 8 speed. Hemi V8 AWD sales for the Charger have always seemed good, so if that is true, the new engine reason makes more sense now. If that is the reason, hopefully they will get that fixed and offer it again for the Hemi in the future.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, the 8 speed is awesome. I faced the same decision two years ago...do I wait for the 8 speed Hemi or buy a 5 speed Hemi? I am glad I did not wait...performance stats are nearly the same per Car and Driver tests and gas mileage did not change much either. The 5 speed in my 2011 shifts very smoothly and is very responsive. It also responds fast to autostick. The Hemi has such a flat torque curve it really does not need even 5 gears....3 or 4 would have worked too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just made the switch from a subaru sti to the charger. I was also looking for a leftover 2014 awd rt but ended up with a rt 100th anniversary. From what I read getting snow tires and some weight in the trunk will do just as good. Just as in the subaru world it seemed that Blizzaks were the unstoppable tire they carry the same weight in this scene. Here's the link for a set of 18 inch wheels and then buy a set of Blizzaks.
http://moparonlineparts.com/dodge-charger-wheel-p-3566.html

This is what I copied from another thread:

um...AWD is a $2300 option. a set of these rims brand new:

TPMS's are about $60 for a set off of ebay

are about $600 shipped to your door, and a set of 225/60R18 winter tires are about $600-800

AWD helps you get going better, but doesn't really make you stop and turn better. winter tires do all 3.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I just made the switch from a subaru sti to the charger. I was also looking for a leftover 2014 awd rt but ended up with a rt 100th anniversary. From what I read getting snow tires and some weight in the trunk will do just as good. Just as in the subaru world it seemed that Blizzaks were the unstoppable tire they carry the same weight in this scene. Here's the link for a set of 18 inch wheels and then buy a set of Blizzaks.

This is what I copied from another thread:

um...AWD is a $2300 option. a set of these rims brand new:

TPMS's are about $60 for a set off of ebay

are about $600 shipped to your door, and a set of 225/60R18 winter tires are about $600-800

AWD helps you get going better, but doesn't really make you stop and turn better. winter tires do all 3.
ha, I came from the WRX as well. Don't expect wonders from the r/t and winter tires :)

Reactions: tunnelpig10

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Thanks for that info. I was wondering why the police could get the V8 and not the public. I thought they used the 8 speed. Even though Dodge say's low sales for the AWD Hemi are the reason no AWD V8 is offered, (Same reason for no 300 V8 AWD), I have read elsewhere that it is really because of glitches they have getting it to work with the new 8 speed. Hemi V8 AWD sales for the Charger have always seemed good, so if that is true, the new engine reason makes more sense now. If that is the reason, hopefully they will get that fixed and offer it again for the Hemi in the future.
police package (V6 and V8) still use the A580 because they haven't developed a column shift for the 8 speed yet.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I live in West Michigan, where we average 100+ inches of snow a season, and have never felt the need for AWD. heck, I don't even have winter tires. I'd invest in Blizzaks before AWD. AWD doesn't help you stop on icy roads and only has a minimal impact on steering on icy roads, too...
What he said. AWD is overrated, RWD and a good set of winter tires will do you just fine. There have even been tests in car mags like Car & Driver that corroborate this.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've driven both the RWD charger with snow tires and the AWD charger with snow tires, and there is a noticable differene. When starting from a dead stop, the RWD spun sideways with any kind of moderate acceleration, and while moving, would often fishtail. When stopped on an uphill and trying to get going again, it was an effort... With AWD, it makes everything so simple. Just point and go. No nonsense.

People comparing RWD with snowtires and AWD with all seasons, obviously the tires make the biggest difference, but most people living in snowy areas who use the cars as daily drivers also run snowtires with their AWD, and with that, there is no comparison.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts