Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can Someone tell me which is the mufflers and which is the resinators?
And where are the Cat. Converters?

Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Help me!

No one knows this?? :confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts

Well I am thinking that the coffin in the center titled WTF on my badly done illustration is the resonator(s). It is very interesting that is for sure.

·
Registered
619 Posts

no, the large thing marked WTF is the mufflers and the 2 seperate things at the end of the system are the mufflers. oh and the cats are correctly labeled. i am 100% sure. the dealership has also confirmed this to me. where did you get the picture of the under carriage?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I got the pic from the dodge website! :happy:

Where are the resonators then? Two mufflers???

Thanks for everyones input! :happy:

Jason

·
Registered
630 Posts

Well... everyone is almost right.

• Cats are marked correctly. Directly aft of the exhaust manifolds and before heading back towards the rear.
  • WTF is the dual-in/dual-out monster muffler.
  • Finally the twin aft cans are the resonators (mini-mufflers if you like, only suppose to deaden the drone).

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Do you think removing the twin resonators will make it louder?
And can someone explain what drone is? I hear this term alot.

Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
331 Posts

drone = sound coming from the exhaust :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Do you think removing the twin resonators will make it louder?

Jason

·
Registered
6,117 Posts

yes it will...my cat's don't have resinators and it is alot louder. how much on that stock exhaust i am not sure.

i took my stock exhaust off and put cat's on that way later on down the road if i want to sell the beauty (probably never going to happen) or just get tired of the growling (also probably not going to happen), i can sling the stock exhaust back on. it was an easy do it yourself project..but i digress.

it should sound louder, lots of guys over at www.lxforums.com have tried it, take a look over there and see what you can find...just use the search - lots of stuff should come up.

godaddy

·
Registered
743 Posts

Just to confirm... The LARGE item in the middle of the car is the MUFFLER... Don't let ANYONE tell you different. Some aftermarket cat-backs are reversed (2 mufflers, 1 or no resonators)

The resonators near the end of the car can be removed and "Drone" will occur...

Drone a harmonic "hum" that happens at certain RPMs.
There are many factors that make drone happen. The resonators are there to remove this very thing.

I cut replaced both resonators with straight pipe on my Charger and I do have drone at about 1800-2000 RPMs. This doesn't bother me for 2 reasons.
a) the exhaust sound has a little more life without the resonators... for instance, when I start the car, I can here that V-8 "gurgle" MUCH better.
b) the stereo can be turned up to overcome the drone. ;-)

When I get more aggressive muffler/exhaust, I will probably put resonators back on (not the OEM but something fitting the muffler/catback)

·
Registered
630 Posts

Thanks jvs60, I have a question though. Does anyone here actually believe this guy does a one handed WOT thru three gears and is doing 160 and back. My only other thought is he is talking KMH not MPH.

·
Registered
164 Posts

Yes, he's Canadian. He's talking KMH.

·
Registered
290 Posts

Yeah If You Look Close His Speedo Is In Kmh.. I Thought The Same Thing And Said If He's Doing 160 On The Back Road He Might As Well As Pull Wings Out And Take Off..haha

·
Registered
349 Posts

Also,if you don't want the resonators ,then you get the zoomers exhaust,but if you want a nice sound,(but not have that slight drone that you would get with the zoomers because of no resonators),then you get the more popular magnaflow exhaust. :happy:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Forget removing the resonators :no: You don't want any drone. It's annoying. :knockout:

Remove the frickin' suitcase muffler and leave the resos. It sounds a ton better than stock, it has the V8 glug at idle, it pops when you downshift or let off real quick, and it doesn't drone at cruise. It only mini-rumbles at highway speeds when all cylinders are firing. When MDS kicks in, it's a lot quieter. :D

:cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts