Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The car is a 2015 Charger Pursuit 5.7L with 265,000km. The car had alot of idle hours and one of the lifters sounded like it was seized or seizing. I was advised about the lifter failure on these cars and decided to replace all 16 of them.

Upon inspection of the old lifters, I discovered some minor scoring on two of the lifters, and a little play in one that was on the side where the ticking was coming from.

I inspected the camshaft with a digital inspection camera and discovered no wear on the lobes, so I decided not to replace it.

After replacing the lifters with ENGINETECH #7501K16 the engine was noisy, but there was no distinct tapping noise from the engine, and after letting the car idle for a bit it started to quiet down.

Now, two days after replacement, the car is making a very loud tapping noise from the passenger side bank (the original tapping was from the driver side) while idling, but it seems to go away when driving, but the noise could just be being drowned out by the wind.

Do you guys think the new lifters were defective, or do you think it could be something else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
The car is a 2015 Charger Pursuit 5.7L with 265,000km. The car had alot of idle hours and one of the lifters sounded like it was seized or seizing. I was advised about the lifter failure on these cars and decided to replace all 16 of them.

Upon inspection of the old lifters, I discovered some minor scoring on two of the lifters, and a little play in one that was on the side where the ticking was coming from.

I inspected the camshaft with a digital inspection camera and discovered no wear on the lobes, so I decided not to replace it.

After replacing the lifters with ENGINETECH #7501K16 the engine was noisy, but there was no distinct tapping noise from the engine, and after letting the car idle for a bit it started to quiet down.

Now, two days after replacement, the car is making a very loud tapping noise from the passenger side bank (the original tapping was from the driver side) while idling, but it seems to go away when driving, but the noise could just be being drowned out by the wind.

Do you guys think the new lifters were defective, or do you think it could be something else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Is it permanent? It's perfectly normal for new lifters to make a hell of a racket for a while, but once they're fully pumped up, it should go away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it permanent? It's perfectly normal for new lifters to make a hell of a racket for a while, but once they're fully pumped up, it should go away.
It's pretty constant at idle, I think I'm gonna get a friend to drive beside me and see if it happens when they're under oil pressure. I've probably only put about 10km on it so far

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
It's pretty constant at idle, I think I'm gonna get a friend to drive beside me and see if it happens when they're under oil pressure. I've probably only put about 10km on it so far
If you're using the correct 5w-20 oil, I wouldn't worry about it after 10km. Get at least an hour on the engine, and two or three fully-warmed-up drive cycles and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're using the correct 5w-20 oil, I wouldn't worry about it after 10km. Get at least an hour on the engine, and two or three fully-warmed-up drive cycles and see if it goes away.
Thanks for the advice, I'll keep you posted.

·
Premium Member
2,187 Posts
That level of noise sounds normal to me. As mentioned, I would run it, and just keep an eye/ear on it.
Congrats on a pretty major repair. The only engine I was involved with where the head had to come off for lifter access before the Hemi, was the AMC 258 inline 6.

Don

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,144 Posts
You bought the cheapest Lifters possible. And you got what you paid for. I did it once and they were nosiey. They also did this as well. Never again.

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You bought the cheapest Lifters possible. And you got what you paid for. I did it once and they were nosiey. They also did this as well. Never again.

View attachment 299384
That's what I was worried about, did they make the same noise for you? How long did it take for them to bend a pushrod? Did they ever stop making that noise?

The ones I bought were an updated one compared to their older design.

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,144 Posts
Were there any warning signs before it did this? Also, what was the extent of the damage?
Below oil temp of 150* F MDS would kick in, and twice when it came out of it the engine ran rough and tapped roughly. Third Time on way home I forgot to keep it in autostick and it screwed the pooch and bent the intake pushrod. Thankfully No other damage other than the Pushrod was found.

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,144 Posts

That's what I was worried about, did they make the same noise for you? How long did it take for them to bend a pushrod? Did they ever stop making that noise?

The ones I bought were an updated one compared to their older design.
Here is what mine sounded like with enginetech lifters. I got about 2K miles on mine before it failed on intake No 7 during MDS deactivation and bent pushrod.

I ended up putting a Challenger Non MDS Cam and Lifters in it. Sounds much better. Also, non mds lifters do not work properly on a MDS cam. I do not care what anyone says. Listening to that bad advice also costed me alot of money as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is what mine sounded like with enginetech lifters. I got about 2K miles on mine before it failed on intake No 7 during MDS deactivation and bent pushrod.

I ended up putting a Challenger Non MDS Cam and Lifters in it. Sounds much better. Also, non mds lifters do not work properly on a MDS cam. I do not care what anyone says. Listening to that bad advice also costed me alot of money as well.
Thanks to your advice, I decided to go pull the enginetech lifters out next week sometime, and place an order for OEM Mopar ones.

My lifters sound pretty similar to yours, and I don't like that it only took 2K miles on yours before they failed. I definitely don't want to go until I bend a pushrod.

I just hope they haven't caused damage to my camshaft yet.

Thanks again for your advice and help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts