Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now Im good with car history but when it comes to DIY im a under the hood version. So can someone give me a Step by step with pictures of what exactly to do. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,168 Posts

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Very simple to do...leave the rad cap on when doing....get a gallon baggy and hold under the bottom of the stat and loosen the two bolts...crap dude beat me to it...

Scott

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
:)
did that link work for any one? as i said idk if its jsut cuz im at work.

if you do it with your engine hot, be sure to bleed the pressure from your coolant lines by loosening your rad cap. it wont come off if you turn it, its kinda like a script bottle with kiddy protection.

i didnt do this and uh... upon lossening the 2 bolts tehre was boiling radiator fluid spraying onto my fore arms due to the pressure built up in tehre.

i barely lost any, and tightened em back down, bled out the pressure. threw some damp towels around the area i was working, and along with a plastic baggy(actually 4 of them 1 inside another cuz i was worried the first one i used was gonna melt at first, it didnt).

went of without a hitch, the hardest part is getting the new tstat to fit in with the grommet on as its BARELY larger. just work it slow, get the edges of the grommet in without pushing on the tstat, and once u have it pushed inside all the way around u can slide the tstat in rather than going in circles around it trying to get all the sides to go in and it never will ;)

if your not as eager as i am, i advise waiting til your engine is cool, i think it would make it a breeze.

much luck,
the dude

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Yes I waited till mine cooled down - believe me hot coolant is not what you want on you. I might also suggest some latex gloves...

Scott

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
help a newbie out here, that knows nothing about cars, what exactly is the benefits of this? I noticed on the video the guy switched out the thermostat and replaced it with what looks like to be the same thing, but 1/2mm bigger as he says...whats that about?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
a t stat is like a valve. when the temp reaches a certain point it open and allows the coolant to flow through.

the stock one is rated at a higher temp so the 180 gives it enough fluid to allow for better cooling.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
a t stat is like a valve. when the temp reaches a certain point it open and allows the coolant to flow through.

the stock one is rated at a higher temp so the 180 gives it enough fluid to allow for better cooling.
so u have lower engine temps? does this help hp in anyway?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
yep, the stock thermo is a 202*. replacing it with a lower one allows the valve to open earlier, thus, allowing the coolant into your engine, or radiator or whatever(lol embarassing as im not quite sure where iut lets it go)..

basically rather than your engine beginning to cool itself at 202 degrees, it starts at 180 instead. this is most ideal for track purposes in that it starts cooling your engine sooner and it cools for longer.

in conjuction with the "25 cent fan mod" and the like, which also allow you to adjust when your engine fans come on, you can consistently run your car at lower temps and cool it faster

EDIT::::
im not sure that i would say it helps HP.. well i suppose it does... hard to say... its like the difference of taking your car out on a cool mornin, vs in a hot afternoon with high humidity.
the car is just way more responsive during cool weather. your 0-60 is obviously faster. she pulls harder.

when these cars get heat soaked they bog down a lot. the difference on a hot and cold day here in houston is like night and day in this car

look at it this way. when you crank up your car, you start at what... 150*? the max ive seen on my car temp is like 225. heck, a LOW running tem is around 185* and thats mega low.. so thats more of a 50 point spread

if you can take 10 points off the top of that its a 20% drop in temp. that is a LOT when it comes to measuring degrees in temperature. and it may not be 10 points. it may be 1 or 2 or 5 without a fan mod. but none the less, i think the point has been made

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Think of it this way - you like it cooler in the house so you lower the thermostsat in the house...you feel better and not as cantancerous(sp)..

The house tstat keeps the house cooler...the tstat in your car keeps it cooler..

The cooler the motor the more power it can make...to a point

Scott

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Think of it this way - you like it cooler in the house so you lower the thermostsat in the house...you feel better and not as cantancerous(sp)..

The house tstat keeps the house cooler...the tstat in your car keeps it cooler..

The cooler the motor the more power it can make...to a point

Scott
ahh sweet methapor...thanks scott

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Autozone - just DO NOT ask for a model specific tstat - they will say it doesn`t exist. Ask for a Motorad 4128. The number would be stamped on it.I got mine from O`Rielly`s. With the gasket on it may be tough to install just work it slowly with a flat blade screwdriver.

Scott

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Autozone - just DO NOT ask for a model specific tstat - they will say it doesn`t exist. Ask for a Motorad 4128. Igot mine from O`Rielly`s.

Scott
ok thanks, aruond how much would it cost?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
15 bucks or so. i got it at autozone. when they say "whats you\r make and model" tell em they dont need it and they will whine and tell you they do. theyre wrong.

tell em i want a thermostat for my car, i ahve the part number.

tell em 4128. they will punch taht in, and show u the screen, it should read... ugh what is the brand name.. its a white/black box with yellow lettering.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
15 bucks or so. i got it at autozone. when they say "whats you\r make and model" tell em they dont need it and they will whine and tell you they do. theyre wrong.

tell em i want a thermostat for my car, i ahve the part number.

tell em 4128. they will punch taht in, and show u the screen, it should read... ugh what is the brand name.. its a white/black box with yellow lettering.
ok, thanks...

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
omg i had a realization, the brand from autozone is ValuCraft.

when you open it up, the actual tstat inside the box has the words "motorad" etched in it on one side, and "germany" in it on the other

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
omg i had a realization, the brand from autozone is ValuCraft.

when you open it up, the actual tstat inside the box has the words "motorad" etched in it on one side, and "germany" in it on the other

Yup and these are fail open which is much safter than a fail close thermostat.

BTW I don't know why everyone gets people at autozone fighting with them about giving them the make and model of the car. I went in and when she asked what I wanted I said "I want to pick up a valucraft 4128 thermostat" she looked it right up and got it for me. I guess it depends on how you start off the convo. If you go in confident knowing what you want they dont' second guess you.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts