Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What happened is that I ordered halo's front and rear from AAC last year in the group buy. One of the rear rings was bad (outside full circle ring) and AAC no longer makes the thinner rings. The new series are twice as wide and the connectors come off the ends at a different angle. That means that if I switch to the new style I have to change out all the rings (more money) and all my holes from the old ones will be visible. If anyone can help me out let me know! I don't understand why they wouldn't keep the old ones available for us, it's barely been a year. I am driving up to Hot August Nights, forget taking the Charger I will be happy just to find a replacement ring!

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
What happened is that I ordered halo's front and rear from AAC last year in the group buy. One of the rear rings was bad (outside full circle ring) and AAC no longer makes the thinner rings. The new series are twice as wide and the connectors come off the ends at a different angle. That means that if I switch to the new style I have to change out all the rings (more money) and all my holes from the old ones will be visible. If anyone can help me out let me know! I don't understand why they wouldn't keep the old ones available for us, it's barely been a year. I am driving up to Hot August Nights, forget taking the Charger I will be happy just to find a replacement ring!
I'm not sure where you're getting your info. Have you contacted AAC themselves? I had a failed ring and just got it replaced last week. The replacement arrived the same thickness and profile as the original, which was definitely pre-XE thickness. I guarantee that on the basis that a} I bought mine two weeks before the XE rings were announced and b} I also got the new gauge halos last week and the large rings for that are XE thickness.

I think your best bet is to talk to AAC. Maybe I got lucky and grabbed the last legacy tail ring. Maybe not.

Also, it's worth noting that the boots are completely removable, so the angle that the wires come off isn't important.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been in contact with AAC since July 2 when I realized the ring was bad. The new ring arrived on July 13 (yesterday)and I was able to see the differences first hand. AAC says that my only chance is that if they can find a old series floating around but that it doesn't look good. So you might have been the lucky one. I understand what your saying about the boots but the install holes were drilled based upon the location of the boots and even if you remove them it is still a bit off because there is a ring size difference between the two series. I put a lot of time in doing a very clean install and the thought of having to look sloppy just to get it to work sucks, not to mention having to pay for 3 other rings out of my pocket. I just feel that there still should be replacements available for us. Thanks for your thoughts and by the way, do you have any pointers for lining up the lenses. The driver side doesn't want to match up to the body lines too well.

Also, AAC does make great quality products and are a top notch vendor, I am just disappointed with the present situation.

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
I have been in contact with AAC since July 2 when I realized the ring was bad.
Crap. That's what I was afraid of. Welcome to obsolescence. I don't have a good fix for you given what's gone on. I know I'd be equally screwed. About all I can suggest is approaching AAC and seeing if they might be willing to work out an exchange/upgrade price for you. Depending on how much epoxy you used, removal of a ring isn't stupid-dangerous. Maybe if you send your three operational rings back to them unbroken they might be willing to stock them as spares for others in your shoes in the future. They'd have to sell them as used, and track someone buying replacement rings as XE or pre-XE, but hey. You'd still be out the time and labour, as well as shipping. But maybe it'll be less painful. That's all speculation, but it's the sort of thing I'd try to negotiate as a middle-ground.

by the way, do you have any pointers for lining up the lenses. The driver side doesn't want to match up to the body lines too well.
No real tips. I just didn't have a problem with this. I think I started aligning at the bottom inside corner, matching the red lens to the black backing. It just felt like it was in the right place. I put tape to hold the two parts together, then squirted silicone into the crack. I'd move the tape temporarily when I got to wherever it was. Once I put them on the car, it seemed okay.

On a semi-unrelated note, tails are about the only place I'd consider putting LED rings. I really love the solid ring look of the CCFL rings and given the choice I'd still chose them, but an LED swap might not be horrible.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
I bought a complete set from the group buy as well and never got around to installing them. I traded my sublime daytona last weekend and have all my halo rings from the group buy for sale. I will be posting them up here tonight once I get home and see exactly what is that I have. I may be convinced to sell the rear rings seperatly from the rest but I may want to sell the rears as a complete set. I'll let you know ok.

Don

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
AAC to the rescue!!! Anguish it turns out you didnt get the "legacy" last ring!! We were able to find one yesterday and sent it out last night,Gomango, good luck on the install!!
Very cool. That all being said, this does bring to light an impending issue. You're going to have to make sure when people order single-ring replacements that they specify XE or pre-XE style. That way at least you can identify when and if you can't fulfill the order.

Again, great job though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts