Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had my Daytona radiator flushed today at Midas. When I got home which is 10 miles away I had to add two quarts of Antifreeze.
I started the car let her run and when the thermostat opened I had to add a Quart again. I have done this three times. I let the car cool, then Add a quart of antifreeze so she is at the full level. Start the car, let her run for 10 minutes and she goes a quart low again.

There is no antifreeze under the car or on the dip stick. This just started after a flush.
Is this normal????????????????
________
vaporizer shop

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Not normal, sounds like they did not purge all the air out

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
well it's part of the process...

So it is kinda normal they just didn't do a complete job. When you flush and refill coolant you need to run the car through several heat cycles to get the car to "burp"

This takes time, the main reason shops don't do it right.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Was it the Midas on Memorial St. ? When I lived in B.A. I used Midas one time and only one time. They were nothing more than crooks. I never went back and will never use another Midas no mater where I might be living.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I know..I know....

I couldn't find any place with G-5 antifreeze. They all wanted to add DEXCOOL.
I had to go buy the antifreeze and take it to Midas.

Anyway..seems to be fine now. Must have had a air-burp.

Thanks to all......
________
essential vaaapp

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Yes, if they didn't fill it the proper way, it will need to be burped - which could certainly be several times. If you follow the correct procedure in the manual, there's no burping necessary, as it bleeds the air out as you fill it. I've flushed my system twice, and never had to burp it, although I know of countless others with the same problem you're having. It will eventually stop - which seems to be where you're at now....

·
Registered
575 Posts
Well, the main thing is, you got all the floating crap out of your system now. At least that is taken care of.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
The reservoir is meant to be read cold...it will drop when hot...see what ya have tomorrow....and as said they probably failed to purge the system...
Shouldn't that be RAISE when it's hot? Like me; you know? :grin: :wink:

Water expands when it's hot... :smoke:

They surely didn't get all the air out after re-filling. Either that, our it's all going into your crankcase! :whistle: :wink:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The coolant is fine. I found out as someone stated above the Hemi is a "self bleeding" cooling system. This means any air in the system will bleed out.

The GMG is doing great now.

Thanks to all who posted.
________
iolite vaporizer

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Shouldn't that be RAISE when it's hot? Like me; you know? :grin: :wink:

Water expands when it's hot... :smoke:

They surely didn't get all the air out after re-filling. Either that, our it's all going into your crankcase! :whistle: :wink:
I think TN is correct. The reservoir level goes down when the engine is hot and is using the coolant. Once everything cools down, it pushes the fluid back to the tank and raises the level back up.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
I think TN is correct. The reservoir level goes down when the engine is hot and is using the coolant. Once everything cools down, it pushes the fluid back to the tank and raises the level back up.
Liquid water gets less dense at it gets hotter: it's EXPANDING! The same amount takes up more space. :)

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_(data_page))

Density[4]
0.99987 g/cm3 at 0 °C
1.00000 g/cm3 at 4 °C
0.99999 g/cm3 at 5 °C
0.99973 g/cm3 at 10 °C
0.99913 g/cm3 at 15 °C
0.99823 g/cm3 at 20 °C
0.99707 g/cm3 at 25 °C
0.99567 g/cm3 at 30 °C
0.99406 g/cm3 at 35 °C
0.99224 g/cm3 at 40 °C
0.99025 g/cm3 at 45 °C
0.98807 g/cm3 at 50 °C
0.98573 g/cm3 at 55 °C
0.98324 g/cm3 at 60 °C
0.98059 g/cm3 at 65 °C
0.97781 g/cm3 at 70 °C
0.97489 g/cm3 at 75 °C
0.97183 g/cm3 at 80 °C
0.96865 g/cm3 at 85 °C
0.96534 g/cm3 at 90 °C
0.96192 g/cm3 at 95 °C
0.95838 g/cm3 at 100 °C
(SORRY! First time I pasted these in they were not in ascending temp order! Fixed it...)

Its coefficient of thermal expansion is positive (meaning it expands when heated), with values between 0.1 E-3/K (when cool) and 2.8 E-3/K (when hot) between 0°C and 100°C. (same Wikipedia page).

The same behavior is true for the antifreeze, I'm sure. Water in the engine's cooling system is held under pressure, so it can get hotter than it could at atmo pressure without boiling, but the same trend continues, I asure you. It expands when heated.

N.B: Water is one of the few things that DOES expand when cooled, but ONLY just above it's freezing point. It's related to why ice skates work well on ice and not on, say, glass! :grin: It's also why ice floats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_thermal_expansion

http://www.units.muohio.edu/dragonfly/snow/icefloat.htmlx

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Hemi is right - that's why the overflow bottle is there in the first place, and why you should NOT fill past the "max cold" mark - otherwise, there is nowhere for the coolant to expand when hot.

I had to do this today myself - I've had to add two quarts already after my flush and refill today, and it will probably need another quart - I'll see what it looks like after sitting overnight.

However, the marks don't mean too much. As long as there is coolant in the overflow bottle when cold, you have enough coolant in your system.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I gotta ask, how many qts of coolant did they charge you for?

The 5.7 system takes 14.8 qts. At least 7 qts should be anti-freeze and hopefully they used distilled water.

Might add, for those that change out a t-stat, make sure you get the ones with a bleed hole, this is what makes it a "self-bleeding" system.

The same behavior is true for the antifreeze, I'm sure.

Yes, this is why there are freeze plugs on engine blocks, so you don't crack a block if the water freezes.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
No charge, this was the RRT for coolant gunk - invoice does not specify amount put in.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I had to do this today myself - I've had to add two quarts already after my flush and refill today, and it will probably need another quart - I'll see what it looks like after sitting overnight.
So what, they give you a few quarts of antifreeze for free before you leave, because they know you will need it later on that evening?
Or, did you buy some anti-freeze to do this?

No charge, this was the RRT for coolant gunk - invoice does not specify amount put in.
Curious, but what does 'RRT' stand for?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Or, did you buy some anti-freeze to do this?
Yes.

I did not drive the car today - it has sat for 24 hours. The level was about an inch below the "min cold" line - I added another quart to bring it up to just a tick below the "max cold" line. Hopefully, this will be the last I have to add.

The dealers just don't have time to do it real well - and you can't really blame them - as you can see, it takes a few heating/cooling cycles to really purge all the air out of the system.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.