Charger Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP - about a month ago, my airbag light was coming on and dinging. Then, about a week later, my passenger airbag light was coming on and dinging (regularly) and NOW, my headlights are blinking on and off. Sometimes I turn them on, and they turn off. Sometimes I can't turn them on, sometimes I can't turn them off (still having the dashboard light issue too).

Someone suggested that I change the battery (it's 4 years old) but why would the battery be the issue when the car is running????

I tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it to see if anything re-set, but to no avail.

The car is unsafe and I need to have it fixed, but my mechanic is my classic car mechanic and can't diagnose this problem and my only other hope is the dealer - cringe

Any advice and validation that it is or isn't the battery would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I really doubt it is the battery, honestly, that doesn't even make sense. I'm willing to bet that you either have a short somewhere in your harness, or a ground is loose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you advide me where the harness is so that I can look for a loose connection? Thanks - trying to avoid what is likely to be a costly issue at the dealership because I'm not capable of fixing anything more than a minor issue.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
If it is a harness issue, you'll have to have it replaced by a mechanic. That is not an entry-level task by any means. Checking the grounds, however, is very easy. You have the battery to chassis ground. You can check the tightness of the bolt on your alternator. Also check the alternator to chassis ground (on top of the passenger side wheel well). They are the most logical culprits.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Can you advide me where the harness is so that I can look for a loose connection? Thanks - trying to avoid what is likely to be a costly issue at the dealership because I'm not capable of fixing anything more than a minor issue.
Check and see if you have a code stored in the PCM,here is how to check for codes:
1)Get in the car, close the door. Perform steps 2-6 fairly quickly (less than 3 seconds total time). (The key should not return to the OFF position throught the sequence!)

2) Turn key to 'ON' position
3) then back to 'ACC'
4) then to 'ON'
5) then back to 'ACC'
6) then to 'ON'

Check your odometer thats where the code will show up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.