Charger Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Dodge Charger SE. After turning off my car the dashboard and a/c does not turn off. The radio screen and radio turns off but not the dashboard and it’s causing my battery to drain. Any ideas? I have a new battery and I already checked that I have all the lights off.

· Premium Member
1,203 Posts
How many miles on the car?

Any electrical mods been done to it?

Is this happening every time the ignition is cycled to OFF?

Does cycling the ignition to ACC, then RUN, then back to OFF (without starting engine) make any difference?

Take a picture of the dash with the lights still on after engine is off and post it up. Make sure to wait 5-10 minutes after killing engine, then take a pic through the side glass (don’t open the door to snap pic, as that will wake the system up).

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for responding! I have 87000 miles. No previous mods done that I know of. I tried cycling it and no luck. It only happens on the OFF mode. My head lights will turn off automatically but not my dash.

· Premium Member
1,203 Posts
Well, I can say you’re not alone, as my 2012 Pursuit will sometimes leave its cluster lit up line your first pic when I shut the engine off. It’s not very often, maybe a couple times a month, but I have not been able to find the cause so far.

I have figured out that when I catch it doing this, I can simply cycle the ignition through ACC, RUN, and then back to OFF, and that will leave it in its normal state (cluster lights go out after appropriate amount of time once door is shut). Unfortunately it sounds like this workaround doesnt work for yours. The next best thing I can think of would be to dim the cluster as much as possible with the dial by the headlight switch. That should reduce its power draw enough to keep it from draining the battery by morning.

On the subject of this draining the battery, I will also say that this shouldn’t be enough on its own to drain the battery below the level needed to start it (after sitting overnight). The fact that yours is getting drained tells me something else is drawing power (probably related to this issue), or the battery is badly sulfated.

How old is the battery?

Check the physical appearance of the battery for signs of sulfation. The sides of the battery case will bulge outward when it’s in such a condition, usually enough to be visibly detectable. Take it out and go have it tested at a local auto parts store if there is any doubt.

Also, what is that 2nd picture showing? I see what screen, but why did you include it? It’s a different state than the first one. We’re you able to get to that screen with the ignition OFF?

If so, that’s going to be the problem - the ignition is not going into the OFF state. Figuring out why will be the focus from there I would think…

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I can say you’re not alone, as my 2012 Pursuit will sometimes leave its cluster lit up line your first pic when I shut the engine off. It’s not very often, maybe a couple times a month, but I have not been able to find the cause so far.

I have figured out that when I catch it doing this, I can simply cycle the ignition through ACC, RUN, and then back to OFF, and that will leave it in its normal state (cluster lights go out after appropriate amount of time once door is shut). Unfortunately it sounds like this workaround doesnt work for yours. The next best thing I can think of would be to dim the cluster as much as possible with the dial by the headlight switch. That should reduce its power draw enough to keep it from draining the battery by morning.

On the subject of this draining the battery, I will also say that this shouldn’t be enough on its own to drain the battery below the level needed to start it (after sitting overnight). The fact that yours is getting drained tells me something else is drawing power (probably related to this issue), or the battery is badly sulfated.

How old is the battery?

Check the physical appearance of the battery for signs of sulfation. The sides of the battery case will bulge outward when it’s in such a condition, usually enough to be visibly detectable. Take it out and go have it tested at a local auto parts store if there is any doubt.

Also, what is that 2nd picture showing? I see what screen, but why did you include it? It’s a different state than the first one. We’re you able to get to that screen with the ignition OFF?

If so, that’s going to be the problem - the ignition is not going into the OFF state. Figuring out why will be the focus from there I would think…
I went to Autozone and the only code that popped up was P0113 - Air temperature intake sensor.

· Premium Member
1,203 Posts
I went to Autozone and the only code that popped up was P0113 - Air temperature intake sensor.
If there are any DTCs stored in relation to this issue, they would be stored in the BCM. I would be surprised if the scanners Autozone uses can pull codes from that module.

The dealership service dept or any well-equipped independent automotive repair shop will have a scanner which can pull codes from the BCM, but keep in mind, it will likely cost an hour of labor for them to perform this 'diagnosis', and there may be no codes related to this stored to retrieve.

· Registered
2014 dodge charger 3.6 pursuit rwd
1 Posts
My 2014 charger just did this. Woke up battery was dead. Battery was at least 3 yrs.old. new battery and went out and found cluster lit up? Turned on and off a few times. 🐀 rats hoping to find a little information here
Im gonna take a stab in the dark and say this is a somewhat common thing with age, any luck so far? I haven't been able to find anything much yet

· Registered
3 Posts
Strange... I unhooked my new battery over the weekend....sat two whole days unhooked. When I hooked back up the cluster turned off? My old battery was from 2017 so I had gotten 5 years! So I can't get a code read since it's not messing up. Probably something in the body control module. I hope it was just a kink in the do ma Hickey and doesn't come back. Will post if it comes back again.... ty

1 - 12 of 12 Posts