Charger Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
okay i have 2 problems pop up and i solved one but the more annoying one has been happening alot lately.

here is my problem. when i am driving around 40-60 and im pushing the gas to get up to speed my car kinda shifts hard and it sticks in 4th. if i try using the autostick i cant change gears at all. the car wont shift down or up on its own. the only way to get the car to shift properly is to shut it off and start the car again. if i come to a stop and dont shut the car off and try leaving the stop i move like im driving a manual in 4th gear from a dead stop. moving so dang slowly

NOTE: i am not getting any codes when this happens. i have checked it many times with my diablo predator and i have seen nothing

any ideas what my issue is??????

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
I feel like im spamming this lately lol but I had a similar issue, itd get caught in 3rd or 4th and not go over either 40 or 55mph and autostick would do nothing

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122996

theres the thread i had on it.

do the key dance even if the CEL isnt on and see if anything comes up. Mine ended up being sensors and the tranny computer was replaced but only a $300 non warranty fix job, (and i also replaced the battery cus apparently that was causing trouble too).

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
see i think your issue might be slightly different than mine cause you were getting stuck in all sorts of gears and im getting stuck in just 4th. ill see when i set it up to have my car looked at again

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
well mine started only getting stuck in 4th, itd do that off and on for about a week, then i kept it in autostick and found itd be 3rd sometimes too. Either way your problem could be anywhere from the mechanical part of the tranny to the computer parts so regardless of the gear it gets stuck in it'll be a similar solution

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the info. sounds like the tcm and probably the wheel speed sensors or the output speed sensor in the trans. well i might just order a pcm

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
took the car to the dealership and they hooked it up to the starscan and they didnt see any codes that would cause my transmission to go into limp mode. im gonna try doing some data logging with my diablo to see if i can track down my issue

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well 2 weeks without an issue and when i left work at 4 am today i had it get stuck in gear twice. decided to bring it to the dealer later that morning so i woke up and on the way to the dealer (5 miles) it locked in 4th twice!!!! the second time i knew it was a straight shot to the dealer with no stops i limped it in to the dealer stuck in 4th and put it in neutral and they scanned it on the spot. no codes and the only thing that was odd was the trans speed sensor was reading a solid 8000 RPM. WHAT 8000 RPM?? is that crazy at an idle in neutral? well they are going to try replacing the sensor which is part of an assembly ($237 part)

the car shift super hard just before its locked in the current gear its in. it just happened to me and this time it locked in 3rd. any ideas???

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
all hell broke loose!!! heading to work at 4pm get on the highway and coming down the on ramp the car wouldnt get above 55 MPH. stayed on the shoulder and stopped with my flashers on. shut the car down then started it up and tried merging on the highway. hit 55 MPH and it started to shake and wouldnt go any faster. pulled over again and called a flat bed. my car is at the dealership now waiting to have them pull the pan to see if there is excessive wear

i sure hope i dont need a new transmission.

kinda glad i didnt plan on LX Nats since a towing bill back from ohio would be very expensive

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
damn well hopefully they figure it out, i take it you're not under warranty anymore?

i feel your pain on the towing expenses, when i had my occurrence I paid a total of $500 in towing bills and the $250 repair

·
Registered
84 Posts
Any updates? My car got stuck in 5th on Saturday. Wouldn't downshift, not even with autostick. After the engine was restarted it would shift again. I'm hoping it's a simple sensor of computer issue.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any updates? My car got stuck in 5th on Saturday. Wouldn't downshift, not even with autostick. After the engine was restarted it would shift again. I'm hoping it's a simple sensor of computer issue.
sorry for the long time since i have posted on this. my issue was the LEAD frame that is in the transmission. basically its an electronic board within the transmission just above the valve body. the issue is a short within the board that caused the TCM to think the transmission was spinning at 8000rpm which is the error value. hope this helps. i think it was a $600 repair

·
Registered
44 Posts
My car was doing the exact same thing yours is doing. Mine ended up being a valve in the tranny. It was about $700.00 to fix, luckily I have the extended warranty. Good luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts