Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to give the short version to start the thread, then I am going to add more on a following thread. Because I know myself, and I fear I am going to end up writing a book. Heh.

But does anybody know of cases where the wires to the radiator fail and short out?

The dealer is saying that the wire harness on my 06' SRT going to the primary/secondary fan assembly rubbed on the frame over time and shorted out the fans. Destroying the fans while doing so. The estimate came out to $705 for parts and labour, but no taxes.

I was driving only highways during non-rush hour to get the car to the dealer. Local driving was a no-go because just a matter of time before the heat started to creep up on the engine. Found myself turning the car off to read a book for a good 30 or 40 mins to be on the safe side. And when the car was running, it was not fun me having the heat on full blast to help dissipate as much heat a possible.

I was, like, "Dayum it, I remember doing this on my old hoopties and old pick-up trucks, and not my still semi-new car." Bah !!! Feh !!!

Thanks for any help in advance, guys.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Does Autozone or advance carry replacement fans? Are they possible to install and remove yourself with out major headaches? Doing it yourself might be possible and cheaper.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I called up Dodge Customer Service to contact the warranty department to see if they could help me out. I told them I thought they should back their product because I could step out the door at that moment and find cars going down the street that are 10 to 15 years old that do no have such a problem.

I explained that the car back in Nov of 05' when it was the SRT model was barely out yet and I pay a huge note every month because it was a lot more expensive then then it is now.

The representative opened up a case number. When I finally got back with the estimate amount, she called the dealer up. Dealer ends up telling her "He does not know how something like that could happen. That the wire is dangling and not supported by plastic clips. That perhaps the cars was involved in an accident and the body shop did not properly place the wires back."

I was rather upset to say the least. I mean, to assume something like that, and worse, to ruin my chance of getting it fixed for free by the manufacturer backing their product really made me want to flip out on the service tech and his co-worker behind the counter doing the paperwork. But I realize that would get me nowhere, so I would still with the nice-guy approach -for now.

The lady at Dodge said she can do nothing for, but could only suggest perhaps bringing it to another dealership for a second opinion. Of course, she failed to mention it would probably cost me money in labor at the other dealership. The current dealership will not charge me because I had them do some one work on the car while it was there.

So my hopes are that people can possibly walk me through on here for the best way to approach this problem. And no, I did not get the extended warranty which ended by date and not mileage on the car. Which was 36/3. While I was on the phone finding out Service Contracts, turns out the one that covers wiring (which I think it might be the most expensive one), covers up to $5,000 in parts/labor. So what then if somebody has the bad luck of a car going over that amount? Not cool....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Does Autozone or advance carry replacement fans? Are they possible to install and remove yourself with out major headaches? Doing it yourself might be possible and cheaper.
Yeah, I already told the guy yesterday in Service that I might just have to do it myself. That perhaps, by now, there might be an aftermarket "performance" fan assembly I might find out there. I asked him around how much were the parts. He also asked me to "Come by tomorrow" to check the price on parts. That the tech had the work sheet and he is gone for the day because they were closing.

All the while, I had a strong feeling he could have checked for the info on the computer he was sitting right next to. When I walked in there, all the guys were not doing noting but talking/joking to each other, so it's not like the place was packed with customers waiting on line or something. <sigh> Bah...

I am hoping since the weekend is coming, I will get a lot of people responding to this thread. Thanks for the info, Pellet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anybody know if there are in fact after market fans for the SRT model?

I lifted the hood of an R/T and noticed the wires were EXACTLY the same as in my car. There were no "plastic clips" to keep the wire in place anywhere near the area in question.

Starting the think the dealer is giving me BS about the wires dangling down and shorting out by rubbing on the car frame. I use to have a Volkswagen Golf and the wires behind the dashboard would short; the moon-roof would no longer work. I had to fix that prob twice in 3 1/2 at $500 buck a pop. :/

SO I already have experience that wires tend to fail. To me it's a product defect and not caused by something the owner does... <sigh> Man...

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
This sounds kinda funny, Has he Showed you the wires, where it rubbed?....Trying to find aftermarket fans is going to be a PITA....I would need proof of the wires rubbing and not in clips, I looked at mine and they are no where near getting rubbed.... .02

·
Registered
624 Posts
A quick google showed all sorts of replacements for around 130 - 200. Brand new.

The next task would be to try and figure out who makes them, and if they are quality.

This seems like it would be more of task of just getting things out of the way then any actual difficulty installing the fans themselves.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
The dealer is saying that the wire harness on my 06' SRT going to the primary/secondary fan assembly rubbed on the frame over time and shorted out the fans. Destroying the fans while doing so.
The wiring harness may have rubbed, exposing the conductor, and shorted out the circuit to ground. This would damage the relays or blow the associated fuse(s) but I don't follow how it would mess up the fan motors. I would suspect the fan control circuitry. Has the tech applied voltage directly to the fan connectors to see if the motors run? They may have made a quick assessment of the issue and haven't really dug into it yet. The motors are $80-$90 each if you acually need to replace them (which you could do yourself).

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Yep, sounds fishy to me too. Let me look around.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Okay, just went and looked mine over, its a Jun 2006 build car. Now, the wiring starts from the fans, well restrained, and comes up to a grey connector thats clipped to the fan shroud, passenger side. From there, it goes back down under the upper radiator hose, and thats the potential trouble spot. On mine, thats about a 6-8 inch section, til it dips back into the bag harness, where its safe again.

Now, in the section, which on mine has the corrugated black wire protector covering, it does appear to be rubbing against a piece of the shroud, a semicircular protustion that appears to protect one of the shroud mount bolts. That looks to be the only place its possible for the harness to chafe.

Me? I would repair it myself, or have it repaired, then do quick power on test to see if it works. I suspect your only real problem is the bad wires, and that they are fluffing the bill considerably.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This sounds kinda funny, Has he Showed you the wires, where it rubbed?....Trying to find aftermarket fans is going to be a PITA....I would need proof of the wires rubbing and not in clips, I looked at mine and they are no where near getting rubbed.... .02

As you look into under the hood. To the left, they come up from the body and make a 90 degree turn to the right; heading towards the fans. About an inch to the right just over the frame.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The wiring harness may have rubbed, exposing the conductor, and shorted out the circuit to ground. This would damage the relays or blow the associated fuse(s) but I don't follow how it would mess up the fan motors. I would suspect the fan control circuitry. Has the tech applied voltage directly to the fan connectors to see if the motors run? They may have made a quick assessment of the issue and haven't really dug into it yet. The motors are $80-$90 each if you acually need to replace them (which you could do yourself).
Yes, Rondney. The first time I went to see for myself, he hooked up power to the fans in front of me, to show me he was not making in up. Or trying to pull something, as the car dealers in this area have a rep for ripping off customers.

Thank again, really, for the info, guys.
Regards

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The car is still at the dealer, guys. Looks like they are taking their sweet time, but it was the holiday weekend, so I can understand the further delay. Would have been good to have the car for the extended weekend, but awe well.

I have it in there for another problem all together. I hit a REALLY high raised manhole cover and it bent the sub-frame pretty badly. You got'ta love New York City street conditions...

The whole wire situation is on hold now as I try and get Dodge to cover/back their product. At this point, I just think the wires are just of crap gauge period. Or another possibility is the fans could not hold up to two and a half years of driving high-speed at intermittent times. I wonder if forced air at a large rate can somehow mess up electrical fans as apposed to good old mechanical fans of the past?

At this point, I am racking my brain and tired of it. I think I am going to call them up and tell them to take back the car if they are not going to back their product. Please don't take me wrong fellas, I do love my ride. And that is why I one of the first dudes in this area with an SRT Charger back in November of '05. But at this time I am tired of the big car payments and letting it sit half the time when I am out riding my sportbike.

I have driven it to Chicago and the Indy 500 from the east coast twice already. And man, it's amazing how much gas it saves when it stops spraying half the engine with fuel. Awesome for long distance if you are use to years of big blocks. But city driving? Heh, don't ask...

·
Registered
183 Posts
My cooling fans went out in May this year. The dealer told me that one of the blades "melted" and was out of balance, destroying the motor. From his description, they are wired in a way that if one goes out, its blowing the other.
Cost = $723
covered by service contract.

I would have been furious if I had to pay for it out of the pocket, I would have done it myself instead.

·
Registered
374 Posts
www.carpartswholesale.com for entire fan grill assembly including motors, blades and grill. $118.01 with shipping. Got them in 4 days. Part #C160925 and it fits other Dodge and Chysler models. If you call they will take your car model and get you the right part #.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts