Charger Forums banner
81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Charger SRT8
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Any idea what would cause the intake to melt like that ? if the car never overheated and looks like its well maintained how can this happen?
Also a stretched timing belt ? on a metal timing belt I have never once heard or seen that happen.
Exactly my thoughts I mean I know they can come out of time with vehicles that have the chain idk how if it’s stretching etc I’ve never had the car overheat I’m thinking they did something orrrrr just trying to get 10k out of me for some odd reason. Idk why they would think I even have that lmao

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,856 Posts
They’ve already done the gaskets and put the manifold back on then said that’s when they started the car and noticed it backfiring through the manifold and that the heat stretched the timing chain and it’s out of timing with everything and therefore needs a new motor the car never once overheated on me which he said is what would’ve had to happen. I’ve never had it backfire either… that I know of it would occasionally pop from exhaust but it was aftermarket and mds would kick on and off etc I’m just confused how this came about all of a sudden I’m wanting to take it to get a second opinion for sure. You don’t think this was pushed to the point of killing the engine tho? I mean I will say on some downshifts when braking the car felt like it might downshift hard sometimes but that’s not timing that’s trans right? And that doesn’t correlate? Only other thing is I did have a CEL for the thermostat saying the car wasn’t getting to operating temp fast enough. That wouldn’t cause it would it? I’m honestly just lost and blindsided by this.
For the amount of heat to stretch the chain, your headgaskets would have said goodbye and shipped out long ago along with everything else.

I hope you recorded mileage and engine hours before taking there.

That intake I am unsure how you could have driven it and not know how something went wrong and allowed it to melt like that. I just do not.

I could be totally wrong. But maybe they are screwing you over all the way who knows. They sound to me like crooks.

Reactions: Callahan843

·
Registered
2012 Charger SRT8
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
For the amount of heat to stretch the chain, your headgaskets would have said goodbye and shipped out long ago along with everything else.

I hope you recorded mileage and engine hours before taking there.

That intake I am unsure how you could have driven it and not know how something went wrong and allowed it to melt like that. I just do not.

I could be totally wrong. But maybe they are screwing you over all the way who knows. They sound to me like crooks.
I believe I recorded mileage not engine hours though… didn’t think about that. The intake I never got any signs of a leak or anything wrong under the hood until that day well in hindsight looking back during a pull when I floored it it basically didn’t accelerate it did slightly but not how it should so I honestly had no warnings other than that prior to the car shutting itself down.. yeah I’m not understanding the whole motor thing the intake yeah I understood but not the motor… idk whether to trust them or not I mean could they be right about it overheating and causing the intake to melt the way it did but still the backfiring was never there before? I’m just lost. Idk what to do or what to believe. I want to take it to get a second opinion for sure.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Only way you could melt that intake is a 1. A fire. 2. Intake valves hung open. (Ie broken valve springs) 3. Timing so far off it is holding the valves open after the plugs fire. But I don't think it would really run at that point.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Charger SRT8
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Only way you could melt that intake is a 1. A fire. 2. Intake valves hung open. (Ie broken valve springs) 3. Timing so far off it is holding the valves open after the plugs fire. But I don't think it would really run at that point.

Well it’s definitely never been on fire lol I can say that. As far as two and three what would cause that? Specifically number 2? What could fix it? They’re trying to say I need a new motor and that replacing the timing chain would be just as much as a new motor and as time consuming which is BS to me it stopped running I will say that it died on my wife while she was driving it one day

·
Registered
177 Posts
2 I explained. Pull the valve covers and inspect the valve springs.
If you are mechanically inclined at all, you can double check the timing as well, just have to pull the front of the engine off.....

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Hello @Callahan843!

Our team regrets to hear about your ongoing concerns and would like to be of additional support alongside your dealer. Please send us a private message with any recent updates or developments to get started.

Hannah
Dodge Cares

Reactions: Callahan843
81 - 88 of 88 Posts