Charger Forums banner
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Charger SRT8
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I would definitely get an Harbor Freight torque wrench and make sure all of them are torqued properly. It's like $20 for the 1/4" drive that reads inch/pounds. Much cheaper if that's all it is.
Yeah I talked to the guy and asked him to check that first before going all in on the manifold he sent me a video of the smoke test and it was coming from all under the manifold from all around it so could that be the bolts?

·
Registered
2012 Charger SRT8
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Diag as in where a vac leak would be specifically. I've never personally used a smoke machine before. I always did the carb spray around to find vac leaks. But I would def say I would not pay over $400 bucks for a smoke test and intake gaskets considering how easy they are. (at least to me)
He’s already done the smoke test and diagnosed it was a leak from the maninfold the 700 comes into play for 4 hours worth of work for figuring out what exactly is causing the leak and taking it apart etc so I’m not sure honestly

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,856 Posts
Yeah I talked to the guy and asked him to check that first before going all in on the manifold he sent me a video of the smoke test and it was coming from all under the manifold from all around it so could that be the bolts?
Bottom of a 6.4 Intake. There are gaskets, or O-rings around the intake ports (big sqaures) and two smaller ones around the odd shaped holes on both sides oppsite each other (these are for oil and PCV.

This is prolly where leak is from. Intake gaskets.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

·
Registered
2012 Charger SRT8
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Bottom of a 6.4 Intake. There are gaskets, or O-rings around the intake ports (big sqaures) and two smaller ones around the odd shaped holes on both sides oppsite each other (these are for oil and PCV.

This is prolly where leak is from. Intake gaskets.

View attachment 306141
Yeah but it’s weird to me because it almost coming out from underneath the whole manifold so I wasn’t sure it was the gaskets or not because they would all be bad tben right?

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,856 Posts
Yeah but it’s weird to me because it almost coming out from underneath the whole manifold so I wasn’t sure it was the gaskets or not because they would all be bad tben right?
Not sure without see video or looking at it myself.

But If you were closer to me I would just tell ya to buy me a steak dinner and I would change the gaskets out.

• Haha
Reactions: Callahan843

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,856 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
It’s easy to take the intake manifold off. Those gaskets can usually be reused if they are not torn or brittle. I would tighten the intake manifold bolts starting from inner bolts and work your way out in an even pattern

·
Registered
2012 Charger SRT8
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
It’s easy to take the intake manifold off. Those gaskets can usually be reused if they are not torn or brittle. I would tighten the intake manifold bolts starting from inner bolts and work your way out in an even pattern
Yeah I’m asking the shop to do this before taking manifold off

·
Registered
2012 Charger SRT8
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
UPDATE: gaskets are f***** looks horrible honestly and they’re wondering if the runner is bad in the intake as well. Here are some pics of the gaskets. Would it be cheaper to just get a new intake altogether? The gasket set is 89.99 they said and they’re trying to find out if the runner is bad.
Automotive tire Bumper Gas Motor vehicle Rim

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Composite material

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,856 Posts
Intake def needs replaced. Looks melted. Even with new gasket sealing would be questionable.

Gaskets $90 bucks? GTFO the hell they are. they are like $10 or so bucks at local parts store. Part Number # MS97089 I believe.

Dude if they are wanting 90 bucks for gasket set have your shit towed to a new shop. Jesus what a rip off.

·
Registered
2012 Charger SRT8
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Intake def needs replaced. Looks melted. Even with new gasket sealing would be questionable.

Gaskets $90 bucks? GTFO the hell they are. they are like $10 or so bucks at local parts store. Part Number # MS97089 I believe.

Dude if they are wanting 90 bucks for gasket set have your shit towed to a new shop. Jesus what a rip off.
I definitely thought that was high for gaskets I looked it up on car ID and found a set for 7 bucks you think the whole intake needs to be replaced? Porting it shaving the melted areas down wouldn’t help?

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,856 Posts
I definitely thought that was high for gaskets I looked it up on car ID and found a set for 7 bucks you think the whole intake needs to be replaced? Porting it shaving the melted areas down wouldn’t help?
The seals sit recessed valley. I feel like they would not seal properly with the damage I see.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts