Charger Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a timing chain and head gasket replacement for my 3.6l Pentastar. Plus oil cooler. Oil was getting pumped into coolant reservoir.
Wood City Auto part Metal Event
Wood City Auto part Metal Event

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,242 Posts
Been wanting to see a shot like that. While you have good room to do so, and if keeping the car, do the heater hoses. Those T fittings crack with age. Also look at going back with the PUG intake.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely keeping after this, I'll look into the heater hoses. Intake is fine for now no cracks. Will keep an eye on it though. Thank you. Heads getting surfaced and valves being re seated/replace seals now. Just waiting to pick up. Then comes the putting back together.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,242 Posts
The PUG intake enhances performance.

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Geez:
These are pretty ugly pics. Not what any Charger owner wants to see. I totally agree that now is the time to update peripheral items while you have the room. Hopefully, it all goes back together for you, and runs tip top.

Don

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Motor vehicle Wood Sculpture Art Font
cleaning up, waiting on heads to get finished.
Going to update what I can. Money runs the world right? Shouldn't have an issue with the rebuild.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
How many miles do you have on it before the oil cooler crapped out?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How many miles do you have on it before the oil cooler crapped out?
It has 179,000. I'm not 100% that was the issue. No way to test it(to my knowledge). Was told by many that my head gasket was the issue. Didn't think about oil cooler until I already had the heads off.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
It has 179,000. I'm not 100% that was the issue. No way to test it(to my knowledge). Was told by many that my head gasket was the issue. Didn't think about oil cooler until I already had the heads off.
I've heard of folks having issues with the cooler going bad and leaking oil into the coolant or coolant into the oil when they get old (like yours!) Having the rubber seals leak is another issue that can occur, as well as the well known cracked oil filter housing. I would always do a compression check before assuming the head gaskets went bad... anyway, the wear on the engine doesn't look bad for that many miles, but the oil gunk at the top of the cylinders in the 1st pick is making me reconsider my aversion to adding a catch can.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
That is a 179,000 miles without a CC and it probably wouldn't look much cleaner with one installed given the varying range of efficacy those have and the number of miles on his car.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Looks good to me... Mopar specs some surprisingly tight clearances in the Pentastar engine

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
The specs should not be any different between the 2012 and 2014 (other than the new oil filter housing used in 2014).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts