Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Push the dash-mounted start button and the 6.2-liter V-8 barks like Cerberus, its deep exhaust accented by a subtle whine from the supercharger. Combined, they produce a visceral and foreboding effect, the automotive equivalent of dropping the needle on a well-worn vinyl copy of The Stooges’ Fun House. Cowland tells us there was prolonged internal debate over how loud to let the blower wail. The quiet vote lost.

Pulling onto the 4.7-mile oval at Chrysler’s Chelsea proving grounds, the exhaust takes a solo, its pitch rising with engine rpm. The volume, however, is predicated not only on rpm, but also the valves plumbed into each leg of the dual exhaust tubes, nearly three inches in diameter. The electrically actuated valves are tuned to operate in concert with the engine calibration, ultimately arriving at the fully open, fully fortissimo position.

Launching the Hellcat at the strip is an exercise in restraint; anything more than half-throttle and the rear Pirellis just fling rubber globules like beads from a Mardi Gras float as the car disappears in a veil of smoke. A Dodge engineer, who said he’d taken “hundreds” of passes in the car, reported knocking out a quick 11.2 as meas*ured by the drag strip’s timing equipment. On street tires, mind you. Activating launch control via the dedicated console button reels in the wheelspin but also hurts the ET. Though it’s perfectly calibrated to keep stoplight heroes from embarrassing themselves, even a well-trained feline will bite, as Siegfried & Roy can attest.

Read more

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-first-drive-review

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Hellcat is the only Challenger to use hydraulic power steering.
Hmmmm

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Motor Trend's review

With a 6.2-liter supercharged V-8 making 707 hp and 650 lb-ft of torque, the Hellcat finally gives Mopar fans something to brag about in the upper echelons of the musclecar battle, which has essentially been a two-man show featuring Mustang and Camaro. The Hellcat is more powerful than almost everything on the market today, even SRT's own halo car, the Viper. Sure, there are cars that make more power, but those are limited to a handful of exotics such as the Porsche 918 Spyder and McLaren P1 hyper-hybrids that cost up to 18 times as much. Dodge has priced its new musclecar at $60,990 (including destination and gas guzzler tax), which caused a bit of sticker shock for many, but in a good way. If you're obsessed horsepower and prefer your cars out-of-the-box stock, you'll agree that it is an absolute steal.

That said, the Hellcat still handles like a Challenger. Navigating the Challenger through curvy parts of the road or track is, ahem, challenging, while straightaways are a breeze. The Hellcat just does the latter much, much faster. We had our first go in the Hellcat at the Portland International Raceway (PIR).

The Hellcat loves straight lines. No surprises there. And Dodge provided the opportunity to solidify this fact with one run on the dragstrip. Activating the Hellcat's launch control system is wonderfully simple. Push the "launch" button on the center stack, step on the brake pedal with your left foot, mash the gas with the right, let go of brake, and voilà. Better yet, pulling up the SRT Performance Pages app in the Uconnect infotainment system will automatically time your run. After our run, the app revealed a 0-60 mph time of 4.1 seconds and a quarter-mile time of 12 seconds at 117 mph. Dodge says the best time it achieved was 11.2 seconds on the quarter mile with street tires (Pirelli P Zero), so we'll see if how close we can get to that time once we snag a Hellcat for testing. We rounded off our Hellcat experience with a quick drive in a car equipped with a six-speed manual. Here, the SRT team snagged the Viper's robust gearbox to handle the Hellcat's 650 lb-ft of torque. That said, the clutch is heavy, but the shifter is fine. Aggressive shifts from first to second had the tires holding on for dear life.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...lenger_srt_hellcat_first_drive/#ixzz38LK5sNni

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...lenger_srt_hellcat_first_drive/#ixzz38LJmyJVa

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After our run, the app revealed a 0-60 mph time of 4.1 seconds and a quarter-mile time of 12 seconds at 117 mph. Dodge says the best time it achieved was 11.2 seconds on the quarter mile with street tires (Pirelli P Zero), so we'll see if how close we can get to that time once we snag a Hellcat for testing.
Huge difference between 11.2 and 12.0!

I would expect to get close to 12.0 with the 6.4!

We shall see

The plot thickens

·
Registered
648 Posts
I for one am keeping a close eye on the Hellcats. I probably won't be able to afford one in 15, but maybe late 16/early 17 I can get a left over(if there are any??) or a gently used one at a decent price.
The linked articles have me drooling over them...lol

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
"Dodge provided the opportunity to solidify this fact with one run on the dragstrip. Activating the Hellcat's launch control system is wonderfully simple. Push the "launch" button on the center stack, step on the brake pedal with your left foot, mash the gas with the right, let go of brake, and voilà. Better yet, pulling up the SRT Performance Pages app in the Uconnect infotainment system will automatically time your run. After our run, the app revealed a 0-60 mph time of 4.1 seconds and a quarter-mile time of 12 seconds at 117 mph. Dodge says the best time it achieved was 11.2 seconds on the quarter mile with street tires (Pirelli P Zero), so we'll see if how close we can get to that time once we snag a Hellcat for testing."

Funny that they chose to publish the "App" times but failed to publish the official drag strip time as measured by the track they ran on.

I wonder why that is? :dunno:

Hmmm...could it be that the real track numbers confirmed that the car is as fast as Dodge says it is and they cherry-picked what numbers they reported? Do they simply want to build doubt before they do their own "test" to bias it toward their paid sponsors...which doesn't include Dodge?

Yep, the plot thickens indeed.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I am certain that my 2013 SRT8 Charger could do 0-60 better than 4.5 seconds with bigger and stickier tires. I am currently running on Michelin 245-45-20's. They are wonderful tires. :banana:

What size of Pirelli's is Mopar using to get all of that lovely torque and HP to the pavement?

BTW I drool every time I read about the Hellcat. :bowdown:

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Huge difference between 11.2 and 12.0!

I would expect to get close to 12.0 with the 6.4!

We shall see

The plot thickens
And a huge difference between an automotive journalist with maybe three or five passes in the car and the development engineer with, as noted in the C7D article, "hundreds of passes", and as noted above, the 11.2 was the strips time, while the mag used the performance page app.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They only use the app on a preview drive.

For real testing they use scientific methods.

What worries more than the time, which we know can be bad with too much wheelspin, is the 117mph trap speed. THAT is scary bad.

My feeling is the car will end up being between 11.5 and 11.7 once the car mags get real tests on it. That is a little faster than the GT500 but a little slower than the Viper and ZR1.

I will be shocked if once the production examples come out they turn 11.2

I can't get past the physics of it.

1000 pounds heavier than a Viper with smaller tires is not offset by 67HP and 8 speed automatic.

I just don't see that.

But we all know I have been wrong before so we shall see.

I doubt 11.2 is the norm

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have found that Car & Driver's 1/4 mile tests are very accurate - especially when you compare them against other cars they tested.

For example, my car ran a 13.2 in their testing and I find that cars they tested that ran 13.5 or better I beat. Cars that they tested that run 12s, like the AMG CLS63, pull on me.

They ran ~11.5 for the Viper/ZR1 so I expect the Hellcat to be slightly slower than that.

10.9 is GT-R territory

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Haven't been on in a while, but all I can say is- It's about ****ING time!

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CVP posted more Hellcat tests and this is really getting ugly - not liking this at all:

Agree, but this is pretty pervasive;

Lacking the sharp reflexes of the Camaro ZL1 and the hair-trigger insanity of the Mustang GT500, the Hellcat shows best on the street, with its gobs of tractable power, a comfortable interior, and its full-size Hot Wheels styling.
-Car and Driver

The car leans heavily as we enter turns, but it's not sloppy...But yeah, man, it drives like a muscle car. It's heavy and it swings through corners with the leading edge of the bulging hood leaning low. Forget delicate work: That would be like whittling with a pole axe.
-Automobile Magazine

Not surprisingly, the Hellcat's tail end started to wag. Smooth brake and throttle inputs are a must...After our run, the app revealed a 0-60 mph time of 4.1 seconds and a quarter-mile time of 12 seconds at 117 mph...They [buyers] might, however, wish for more when it comes to distinguishable visual treatments that set the car apart from the 392.
-MotorTrend

Instead of seeming like it’s going to tip, the body stays flat enough to inspire a little confidence, letting the 9.5-inch-wide Pirellis out back do their job...But unlike the big-power Camaros and Mustangs, the muscliest Challenger doesn’t have a ton of styling differentiation compared to a base V6 car.
-Road&Track

The Challenger gets a lot of grief for its weight, and at 4,449 pounds, the 2015 Challenger is a heavy car. You can feel this while driving, it’s a pleasant thing on the highway, giving the car a solid, smooth ride, even in the firmest “Track” mode setting of the three-way adjustable suspension. In corners, the heft of the car is noticeable, especially if you’re used to a lighter machine, but the Challenger handles well...We brought the car to barely off-idle (about 1,200 rpm) and applied the throttle with the same caution as you’d use while walking barefoot in the dark through a room full of Legos. We didn’t have the car fully floored until after the second gear shift. Result? 12 flat at 118 mph.
-Hot Rod Magazine

The long, wide coupe still has a lot of body to be piloted from corner to corner on the really tight sections of the road, but the truth is that it responded with neutrality and quickness at a moderate pace. "Nimble" wasn't the word that sprung to mind after turning more than 100 miles on public streets, but "confident" would be a fair one...Even with plenty of grip available most of the time, there's so much weight constantly desirous of changing direction that hustling the Dodge in the twisty bits left me either too slow or out of sorts upon exit. The steering is quick enough, but numb, which didn't help speed me up, either.
-Autoblog

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
They only use the app on a preview drive.

For real testing they use scientific methods.

What worries more than the time, which we know can be bad with too much wheelspin, is the 117mph trap speed. THAT is scary bad.

My feeling is the car will end up being between 11.5 and 11.7 once the car mags get real tests on it. That is a little faster than the GT500 but a little slower than the Viper and ZR1.

I will be shocked if once the production examples come out they turn 11.2

I can't get past the physics of it.

1000 pounds heavier than a Viper with smaller tires is not offset by 67HP and 8 speed automatic.

I just don't see that.

But we all know I have been wrong before so we shall see.

I doubt 11.2 is the norm
Of course it wont be. But I'll bet you see it from hotshoes at low tracks in the fall.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
CVP posted more Hellcat tests and this is really getting ugly - not liking this at all:
I don't find anything in this ugly at all. In fact, it makes me very happy. It's exactly what I expected from the car...

The Hellcat shows best on the street, with its gobs of tractable power, a comfortable interior, and its full-size Hot Wheels styling.
-Car and Driver

The car leans heavily as we enter turns, but it's not sloppy...But yeah, man, it drives like a muscle car.
-Automobile Magazine

Smooth brake and throttle inputs are a must...
-MotorTrend

Instead of seeming like it’s going to tip, the body stays flat enough to inspire a little confidence, letting the 9.5-inch-wide Pirellis out back do their job.
-Road&Track

The Challenger gets a lot of grief for its weight, and at 4,449 pounds, the 2015 Challenger is a heavy car. You can feel this while driving, it’s a pleasant thing on the highway, giving the car a solid, smooth ride, even in the firmest “Track” mode setting of the three-way adjustable suspension. In corners, the heft of the car is noticeable, especially if you’re used to a lighter machine, but the Challenger handles well.
-Hot Rod Magazine

We brought the car to barely off-idle (about 1,200 rpm) and applied the throttle with the same caution as you’d use while walking barefoot in the dark through a room full of Legos. We didn’t have the car fully floored until after the second gear shift. Result? 12 flat at 118 mph.
-Hot Rod Magazine
And that is how you wind up only trapping at 118 mph and only pull a 12.0 1/4 mile time in a 707 HP supercharged car that develops 411 lb-ft of torque at 1200 rpm.

Note that they also said...

We have no problem believing this thing could run low 11s on a real track.
-Hot Rod Magazine

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't find anything in this ugly at all. In fact, it makes me very happy. It's exactly what I expected from the car...

And that is how you wind up only trapping at 118 mph and only pull a 12.0 1/4 mile time in a 707 HP supercharged car that develops 411 lb-ft of torque at 1200 rpm.

Note that they also said...
One test I understand, but so Motor Trend got [email protected] also

That is a trend - and it is not good.

The fast test was done by Chrysler

Was it a prepped track?

At the end of the day, very soon we will see Car & Driver or Motor Trend line this up against a GT500 and we will see what is real and what is fiction

Again, spinning your wheels too much off the line does not cut your trap speed 8 mph guys

Come on

We have all been to the track and you know better

It hurts your ETs but the MPH is not affected that much

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guys, you can't be afraid of information and data that does not agree with what you want to be true.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts

Was it a prepped track?

At the end of the day, very soon we will see Car & Driver or Motor Trend line this up against a GT500 and we will see what is real and what is fiction

Again, spinning your wheels too much off the line does not cut your trap speed 8 mph guys

Come on

Only applying partial throttle through first gear like HRM said they did certainly does...and yes, excessive wheel spin can do the same when you are talking about this much HP. You just don't notice it as much when you are at 13 secs as you do when you are at 11. secs.

Since the Dodge time was NHRA certified, I can only assume it was at a fully prepped NHRA compliant track.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

Was it a prepped track?

Come on

Well I for one find it hard to believe that my car with 470HP/470tq is only 4 tenths slower in the 1/4 that a car that has 237 more hp, and 180 more tq. Did the guys at Motor Trend also run half throttle through second gear? Also what track? Was it a track that is 5,000 feet above sea level and 90 degrees outside? As far as wheel spin is concerned I once ran a [email protected] MPH after I totally went up smoke through the first 60ft, then turned around and ran a [email protected] Again this is EXACTLY why I do not trust the big three as I like to call them...MT, R&T, and C&D. Which C&D seemed like a much more objectionable test.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
My PB doesn't make sense based on these DA's.......The hellcat is for real and I wont challenge one, now the 392's.....I will pick on

1 - 20 of 47 Posts