Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While cruising down the highway to work today, I got an alert for the battery. Switching to the battery voltage meter showed just 11v. I thought, "huh, that's odd...she's only got 21k miles and is only 2 years old." I start slowing down so I can pop the hood and make sure the serpentine belt is still there...as I slow down, I smell antifreeze. Ugh...as I stop, I see steam and the telltale orange puddle under the car. After opening the hood, I can see the belt is still there and is probably just slipping on the alternator since it's covered in orange coolant. What a mess. There was a convenience store nearby so I went in to get a couple gallons of water (Deer Park) and filled it up to the brim so I can granny the car about 4 miles back home. Engine oil temp stayed around 204F and by the time I got home, the reservoir was empty again. OK...now for the question....

If I squeeze the upper radiator hose, I can hear the leak. It sounds like it's coming from under the intake manifold. I thought the two lines under there were metal and went to the heater hoses behind the intake. I suppose I could just take it to the stealer since it's still under warranty, but if it's something simple, I'd rather just fix it and go on with my life. I can't really see where the heater hoses clamp on to the lines behind the intake. I'm assuming the actual lines under the intake don't usually break since they appear to be metal.

Any ideas before I go ahead an pop the intake off?

Best,

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Ritz:
On such a young car, and under warranty, I would let them tow it in, and fix it. My concern would be getting it apart, and then discovering something more than I wanted to or could deal with. IMO, that is what the warranty is there for.

Don

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose I should have seen this coming...

My local dealer (the ones I bought the car from) "don't have time" to look at the car until the 25th....2 weeks from now.
The immediate questions were:

Did you hit something?
Did you take a rock strike?
Did the car overheat?

Already looking to weasel out of a warranty repair. Sigh.

As fate would have it, I'm swamped with work so I'm just going to flat bed it to the stealer. I've got an extra car so I told them to just fix it when they have time to look at it.

What a crock.

This is why I was contemplating just fixing it myself. Ask me if I'll be shopping at my local Dodge dealer anytime soon...

Best,

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Ritz:
Your frustration is understandable. I think I would be asking why they are 2 weeks behind. The tow in should be covered under warranty, as the car is not driveable as is. If they don't provide good customer service, a call to the SRT folks might help them get their house in order. It amazes me how any company can forget that without customers (and happy ones at that), they cease to exist.

Don

·
Registered
363 Posts
I wouldn't get too upset with the questions. I've experienced the same line of questioning on warranty claims and I simply explain the symptoms and ask them to answer those questions when they troubleshoot the car and determine the cause before they repair it.

Service departments can certainly task our patience. The sad part is the 2 week backlog. Makes me wonder if they are having staffing issues at the dealership or just have a boatload of work. I still think the decision to have the service department stand behind their product warranty is important. Plus you want to limit your liability and protect your warranty should something go wrong had you repaired it, or come across something really serious and gotten over your head in repairs.

Hoping the dealership slips you in before 2 weeks and gets it back on the road.

·
Registered
102 Posts
In addition to the tow being covered under warranty, would a rental car be included too? My wife has the lifetime warranty on her Durango and the dealer gives her a rental whenever they need hers for more than a day.

I agree with having the dealer look at it since its under warranty.

·
Registered
151 Posts
In addition to the tow being covered under warranty, would a rental car be included too? My wife has the lifetime warranty on her Durango and the dealer gives her a rental whenever they need hers for more than a day.

I agree with having the dealer look at it since its under warranty.
I was going to say the same thing. Put the pressure on the manufacture work out the details with the dealership. I'm sure a little "pressure" work probably get it take care of.

·
Super Moderator
11,463 Posts
2 weeks is BS but is there only one Dodge dealer near you? You don't have to take it to where you bought it. I'm sure you know that.

There must be a dozen Dodge dealerships within a 30 minute drive of me. I'd just keep calling until I found one that could take the car in NOW.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
FLEX
Charger Forums
ChargerForums to connect with the Dodge Charger community to discuss SRT, Hellcat models, maintenance, mods and more.
Full Forum Listing