Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be installing the BR9 brakes on my 2013 R/T.
On the front.
The rotors alone are 6lbs heavier than OE.
The OE calipers are aluminum vs, BR9 iron, (haven't compared yet) but its got to be at least 5lbs more.
Call going from 18" OE Clads to 20" OE Clads and tires 9lbs more.

Call it 20lbs per wheel? If that much hows the ride going to change? I have Bilstien B6 dampers all around.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
If you were driving an SXT model with the base model brakes and suspension, I would say you certainly notice the extra unsprung weight at each corner while doing daily driving duties. However, since you're starting out with the R/T model and its (slightly) upgraded suspension, you will not likely notice much of a negative affect of the extra unsprung weight.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
If you were driving an SXT model with the base model brakes and suspension, I would say you certainly notice the extra unsprung weight at each corner while doing daily driving duties. However, since you're starting out with the R/T model and its (slightly) upgraded suspension, you will not likely notice much of a negative affect of the extra unsprung weight.
My SXT Plus came with the horrid BR3 tiny brakes, and so I put on the BR9 Police brakes and 20" WRT wheels, and the car actually rides better than before. The lightweight 20" WRT wheels with 245 x 45 x 20 tires weighed within two pounds of the 5 spoke 18" wheels with 235 x 55 x 18 tires, and the brakes aren't that much heavier. I believe the ride difference is mostly in the tires: the 18's have soft sidewalls that flex a lot and make the car bounce around on choppy roads, while the much stiffer 20's don't flex (much) which makes the springs and struts do the work. There is a big difference going over tar strips and big cracks in the road (which Albuquerque has in spades)

I was unsure about going with 20" wheels because I thought the ride would be the exact opposite of what it turned out to be. I was convinced all would be well when I rode in a Chrysler 300S with the "Sport" suspension and 20" wheels. Apparently the 300 S suspension is basically the same as the V6 Charger "Touring" suspension (the regular 300 suspension is super soft, while the SRT suspension is the same on both the 300 and Charger.)

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[FONT=&quot]That's encouraging, My R/T is Plus and has the SDD Sports Suspension. @70K I replaced the shocks with Bilsteins. Everything feels more controlled without being choppy, no regrets.
Still can't make up my mind on the tires.

[/FONT]

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
BR5 to BR9 brakes installed and Factory Chrome Clad 18" wheels to Chrome Clad 20" wheels.
235/55/18 Michelin Premier A/S to General G-MAX AS-05 245/45/20

I'll say my ride is if anything improved. Normally a Michelin die hard I was being brave and it paid off in savings.
I read to reduce the unsprung weight too much or going overboard with it loose ride quality. So I may have the opposite with the added.
I have Zero complaints. I even used my Analog dB meter before and after on my work route and no increased noise levels in the cabin.
I like the tires and if you know me personally you are aware of my famous tenacity to return stuff. I have not been in a heavy rain yet but I'll venture to say they are not going back.

Weights including calipers, rotors, wheels and tires:
29lbs per front wheel
20lbs per rear wheel
Call it 100lbs added total unsprung weight.

18 to 20" wheels 10# more
BR5 to BR9 Front calipers add 9# more
Rear Calipers 4# more
Rotors Front 9# more
Rotors Rear 5# more
Tires 1# more

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
If that much hows the ride going to change?
Basing it on my experience with the itsty bitsty v6 - the unsprung weight could definitely be felt.
Slower response times when taking sharp/sudden turns and slightly less performance by butt dyno.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts