Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have a 2012 Dodge Charger RT Max that comes equipped with Remote Start. I would think that one of the main reasons you would use Remote Start is because you want to warm up the inside before you get it. However, I have noticed that my heater does not turn on with Remote Start. It waits until I open the door before it turns on. I always keep my heater set to Auto at 75 degrees, I haven't tried it on manual. Does anyone else have this problem? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
441 Posts
The option to turn on during start needs to be turned on in the settings AND it needs to be less than some amount of degrees out side that I don't know.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Mine's automatic regardless of what the temp control/fan is set to. They used to just run off the outside temp...

Cold out? Heat and rear window defroster comes on.
Hot out? AC on full...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
See, I think that's ridiculous. The feeling of cold, or hot is a matter of preference. According to the manual the temperature has to be 40 degrees Faranheit or below to turn on the rear defroster, heated steering wheel, and heated seat. Who here doesn't turn on their heated steering wheel and seat at 50 degrees? I wish you could adjust the temperature at which the heated items turn on, because 40 is way too low.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'd prefer that these functions be user controllable. I don't want the climate control, defroster, or the seats to activate with remote start. My main concern is allowing the engine/transmission to warm before I drive off. At the same time, there's people with these cars that don't want to deal with these functions. My sister has a Grand Cherokee and she has no idea how to work half of the gadgets - nor does she care.

I'm from the old school. I grew up in Montana with many autos to get moving in the below-zero mornings and no garage. Plug in the cars at night, then go out in the morning, pump the throttle once, hope it starts, then spend the next 15 minutes scraping ice off the windows.

That's also why none of my autos have leather seats!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Who here doesn't turn on their heated steering wheel and seat at 50 degrees? I wish you could adjust the temperature at which the heated items turn on, because 40 is way too low.
I sure wouldn't want the heating features to come on over 40F. 40F is flannel shirt weather for me :D. But it would be really nice to be able to set the temperature thresholds.

I don't have a heated wheel, but it seems that heated seats only come on when you push the ignition and not with remote. They do heat up very fast though.

·
Registered
203 Posts
How long are you warming the car up before getting in? If the climate control is set to auto, the heater should come on with remote start. However, if the engine is cold, the heater does not immediately come on as it waits until the engine coolant warms then gradually ramps the fan up. The seats and steering wheel have to be selected to turn on with remote start and they depend upon outside temperature. I used remote start this evening when I left work(climate control on auto set at 72), hit the start button as I walked outside so car only ran for maybe 45 seconds before I got in so the heater was not yet going. But by the time I was pulling out of the parking lot, it was starting to come on.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hi everyone. I have a 2012 Dodge Charger RT Max that comes equipped with Remote Start. I would think that one of the main reasons you would use Remote Start is because you want to warm up the inside before you get it. However, I have noticed that my heater does not turn on with Remote Start. It waits until I open the door before it turns on. I always keep my heater set to Auto at 75 degrees, I haven't tried it on manual. Does anyone else have this problem? Am I missing something?
What heater are you referring to?

Seat heaters? Steering wheel heater?

Regular climate control?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm talking about the regular climate control. Here's what i do, I use the "Auto" setting of the climate control. I have it set to 75 degrees. When you set the climate control to "Auto" a small yellow LED will turn on when the climate control is on and operating. The LED is directly on the "Auto" button. When I use the remote start, the climate control is off, I know this because the LED on the "Auto" button is off. As soon as i open the door, the LED turns on and the climate control turns on.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I don't have a heated wheel, but it seems that heated seats only come on when you push the ignition and not with remote. They do heat up very fast though.
Funny you should mention that, the seats are supposed to come on with a remote start under 40 degrees, the indicator on my screen says they are on, but they aren't, I have to turn them off and back on to get them to heat, had the dealer look at it, found nothing (no surprise).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Funny you should mention that, the seats are supposed to come on with a remote start under 40 degrees, the indicator on my screen says they are on, but they aren't, I have to turn them off and back on to get them to heat, had the dealer look at it, found nothing (no surprise).
Interesting...thought mine was the only one that did this. Have to tap the seat icon off and then on again to activate it. Nothing happens in auto mode with remote start. I've got a 2012 300. Seems like software issue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Gotta chime in here. I have a new to me 2011 Charger RT with 12k. Having the same issue with the seat heater. Use remote start alot living in the frozen tundra known as MN. Noticed that the steering wheel always warms up nice but the drivers seat is hit and miss. Sometime it works, sometime not. I also have to turn it off and back on to get it going after remote start if it falls to start on it's own. Pisses me off cause the seats in my G8 work almost to well. Got overly hot even on low. I was always turning them off. Any fix for this?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Gotta chime in here. I have a new to me 2011 Charger RT with 12k. Having the same issue with the seat heater. Use remote start alot living in the frozen tundra known as MN. Noticed that the steering wheel always warms up nice but the drivers seat is hit and miss. Sometime it works, sometime not. I also have to turn it off and back on to get it going after remote start if it falls to start on it's own. Pisses me off cause the seats in my G8 work almost to well. Got overly hot even on low. I was always turning them off. Any fix for this?
None that I know of, I have been considering calling Chrysler to see if they're aware of the issue, at least now I have a discussion to point them to.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
None that I know of, I have been considering calling Chrysler to see if they're aware of the issue, at least now I have a discussion to point them to.
Let me know what you find out if anything. I may head to the dealer when I have some time just to see if they can find anything but you know how that usually ends up. It's more likely a programming issue or a relay of some sort. Just guessing on that because I'm not a tech head.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts