Charger Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Coolant leaking inside under heavy throttle

This car's barely three years old and I noticed a while back that the coolant reservoir seemed to be a little too dark too soon for having started out translucent white-ish. Open the cap and you can see on the underside of the cap on the gasket, some residual matter, like small chunks of something. Eventually I started to smell coolant inside the cabin intermittently, not knowing why. Today I discovered that when you gun it, it forces coolant to purge out inside on the driver's side by the heater core inlet and outlet. It has sprayed around there for weeks now and runs down the gas pedal. I've never messed with or added anything to the coolant reservoir but I'm also not the original owner. I just don't see how else this could just happen with factory coolant unless it's just bad and has been eating at the plumbing and connection points, eventually creating a weak point under intense pressure and heat, and then releasing out. Would a thorough drain and refill and then again a week later do the trick? (after getting the leak point repaired that is)

Thanks to all and to Dodge Cares: if you're reading this, some input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Update: So apparently the neck of the heater core is being stressed by forces from the engine: which explains why it only leaks on a fast, tire chirping take off. And someone before me, within the first year and half of the car's life, added stop leak to the coolant reservoir. So why the hell if you had a coolant leak would you not go straight to a dealership and have it repaired under warranty? By the way, Dodge had no records of a service visit prior to my taking ownership. Now I'm out of warranty and although the factory coolant is still okay, it's still going to have to be flushed out and replaced in a year or so and with that, a $1000 heater core job. So, word to the wise: before that 3yr/36k runs out, be sure you've checked out the car THOROUGHLY.

I should also mention though, that my Charger has given me NO other problems and I love that car more than any other car I've ever owned. It's as American as Apple Pie! (as long you don't consider where it's guts are all sourced from!)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts