Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I finally made the plunge and had an exhaust guy put on an R/T exhaust from a Challenger with Magnaflow tips. Now I've read everywhere here that a heat shield is definitely needed by the driver's side on the gas tank. Well I forgot to mention it to the mechanic but I figured he did it anyway, well he did not. I asked him about it and he said he seriously doubts their would be any issue because you can fit a fist in between the exhaust and the gas tank. With that kind of room he'd be surprised if their were any issues. So do you think I'm all good?

Thanks in advance everyone, and by the way, the new exhaust sounds and looks fantastic! :driving:

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
I have helped several people with the switch, Just went to Advance and got a 12X24 sheet of heat insulation and stuck it up there, good to go, but I would do it!!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
unless his fist measures more than 9" across i'd reccomend a heat sheild. Can't be to careful!

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I suppose it's better to be overly careful because since I've read all of the threads about this, it sticks in the back of my mind. Thanks for the input guys, I'll put the insulator on this Thanksgiving when I can actually work in the daylight. Not having a garage sucks.

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm all good now, heat shield is up. I took zoomzoom1's advice, got the 12x24" heat shield, which by the way is a pain in the ass to find apparently. I had to go to a few auto shops before finding anything even close to that size, most only had the stuff that was no bigger than scotch tape. Regardless, I feel a ton better about not blowing up haha!

Thanks again everyone.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Glad it's good to go!!!!!

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I bought a roll of heat insulation tape. Was 2" wide. Took the whole roll to do the gas tank. Need to climb under and see how it's holding up before winter starts.

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought a roll of heat insulation tape. Was 2" wide. Took the whole roll to do the gas tank. Need to climb under and see how it's holding up before winter starts.
Yeah that's the tape I kept finding and it drove me nuts. I also had to park my car over a ditch (tires on each side of the ditch with the body running in the same direction of the ditch) because I don't have anything to get my car high enough haha! It was a tight squeeze but it was worth it. Be sure to wipe down with rubbing alcohol and clean the area, mine was a little dirty. Though I'm surprised about how clean the bottom of the car was.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts