Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More curiosity guys...does changing out the heads, cams and headers require a new dyno tune? I know in the mustangs just about anything you do requires that. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm afraid they're a bit more expensive around here. Let me ask this too guys...are the heads/cams going to be good enough on the new SRT8 that there'll be no need for an aftermarker version of them? How about the exhaust system? Will the headers and exhaust be good enough on these or will there still be a need to change out the headers and bypass resonators (don't know a lot about these...just heard people talk about them...what are they, anyway?) with an X-pipe and catback?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
The problem is how do you Dyno tune these cars?
You can't, not even with a starscan tool.

Also, aren't the cams suppose to work with the stock programming? I think there was only one of the comp cams that required tuning.

RadarmagneT talked to a dodge mechanic about tuning for headers/heads/cam. The Mechanic suggested replacing the PCM with the PCM for the 6-speed manual truck.
This would disable stability control but maintain ABS. It would also eliminate the torque management system.
Now I?m sure it would not be that simple but converting to the 6-speed PCM would be easier than reprogramming the LX PCM. (at this point).

We will soon find out what the Hypertech Hemi programmer does for the Trucks.
________
MARRIED WOMAN LIVE

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really? They're not tunable? I don't know a lot about them because I'm new...I've been a mustang man for 15 years and this a whole new area for me. The mustangs just have the computers that someone hooks another computer into and basically tells the car what to do and not blow up...giving it enough fuel/air and such. So these cars dont' have computers and the ability to do that? I guess I'm just not sure I understand how they work. Hopefully, as I delve deeper into this I'll understand more about it. This is the first I've heard of for "Not being able to dyno tune a car." So if you get a place to install a supercharger on these things you can't readjust it to get more fuel or anything?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Lanmon28 said:
This is the first I've heard of for "Not being able to dyno tune a car." So if you get a place to install a supercharger on these things you can't readjust it to get more fuel or anything?
Its not so much the car that isn't capable of being dyno tuned, rather the tuners who are unable to work on these cars. As of yet, none of the aftermarket tuner companies have cracked the computer code to be able to do their thing with our cars, thus dyno tuning isn't yet a possibility. Once the computer is cracked, you'd be able to modify and tune just like any other car.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's interesting. So this supercharger kit that GS motorsport is putting out is just kind of a chance thing? I know it supposedly has like a fuel box or something to make sure the car gets enough fuel and that's pretty much it? We just just kind of HOPE the car is getting enough fuel and is tuned correctly? Wow, I didn't know that. I guess maybe I'll have to settel for the stock 425 horses for a while. Thanks for the info. :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Lanmon, we have monitoring equipment installed in our car where we can view afr in real time and record runs, we can go back in and adjust the fuel curve where it runs lean and rich and timing can also be adjusted to avoid detonation, etc.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I can only hope that by the time I get my SRT8, they have progressed to the point of actually being able to dyno the cars and get the readings accurate...because I'd put a methanol kit on it too. Can NEVER have too many ways to monitor detonation. That way I have the aftercooler, the methanol AND the oil squirters. I had to have my mustang rebuilt 3 times within a year because of BAD dynoing...so I want to make SURE I get this one right. I was just talking to Billy K (he does the work on my mustangs) and DJ the other day about all this. DJ didn't realize that the new SRT8 Chargers are going to pack such a wallop. I think I've almost got them convinced to get one. LOL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts