Charger Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many decisions on how to mount the trinity, and one pod build fail, I came up with this idea. I was going to do a pillar pod but just didn't like it for the trinity. I want to leave the pillar open for other gauges way down the road. I will need to lower my mirror about 1 inch to avoid blocking my view. I still have room in the mirror black out area in the glass to do it, so this should work. I'm going to try it for a bit, If I dont like it, I can buy a new one for $40 bucks on ebay so no big deal. Here is my progress so far. This is my second attempt at a pod. My first was for the drivers pillar corner, but it was a flop. I was hoping to do a mold with glass, but it wasn't working so well and didn't like it so here is my current progress. This was my first sand down, so lots to go yet, but this gives you an idea of what it will looks like. I can always just put a gauge in in and move the large trinity if it's to much of an obstruction, but I already tired it and it's not to bad actually. I will post more as progress is made this week.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Looks like a good solution. Keep us updated as to how this turns out.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Good job on the creativity. What are you using for the base to build it with?

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
That looks like it will work nicely. Can't wait to see it completed and installed.

nice work

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this all started when I purchased a 2 1/16 pod gauge holder for $8.00 and cut off the rotating base after I realized it would be way to low in the mirror. I then just hot glued the flap shut and then actually use a 2 liter bottle cap to raise the pod up a bit and glued the pod to that to get my angle I needed. Then my great little secret is to use the kids molding clay called Modle Magic. It is very light and dries in a day. It doesn't stick well but is a great light filler. Mold Magic is soooo light, almost as light as air. It does have some minor shrinkage (I hate shrinkage :) ) but it works well. The best part is that once it dries you can pull out your pieces and glue them back in place and then Fiberglas or bondo over the top. The fiberglass resin wont melt the foam like it does when you use expanding window foam (AKA Great Stuff at Home Depot). Once I laid some Mold Magic foam to get a curve I laid a few pieces of glass to make it ridged and then just added about 3 layers of bondo which you see above. Just tonight I had the bondo pulling away from the plastic so I laid some more glass over it and then re-sanded with some sanding wheels. I finished it off with another bondo layer filling in pin holes. I will take some more pics tomorrow before i hit it with primer. This thing is solid as a rock now and wont have any separation issues from the console. I am sure even after a few primer coats touch ups will be needed then it will be paint time.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
anyone know a link to a ipod extension cable with a right angle plug? I need male to female plug with a right angle on the male end of the extension cable. I am going to use it to extend the OBD II trinity cable.

Like this but the male end with a right angle.....

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are some more pics after glass and some more bondo..... Its getting there.....

And now some primer...... Still have pin holes. Time for some spot putty.... More pics after I pic some putty up tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Looking good, can't wait to see it when its done.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, here is the finished product. I went black to match the my future black headliner project. I think all in all in turned out pretty good. I will take a few more of it installed once I receive my extension cable for the Trinity. I should have it by Sat. Then It will be installed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts