Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on my first Road Trip 3,600 miles Car ran great GPS was a big help. Only thing is the
Headlights at night. I'm beginning to thing it's my night vision/age. I had a 2008 R/T Daytona and the Headlight pattern seemed like it was better. Both cars have HID lights. When coming back from my trip in the 2019 and night time came I almost had to pull over for the night because I couldn't see well enough.
Ended up following a 18 Wheeler. I felt like if there was some debris in the Road I wouldn't see it in time. I checked the aim of headlights when I bought the car and checked it again yesterday they seem to be aimed correctly. When driving the pattern seems to be limited to the a area in front of the car then just fads. On the 2008 the pattern seemed like it reached out farther/had a larger area. I'm thinking maybe some brighter bulbs? The 2008 was bought used so I'm not sure if they were stock bulbs.
Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
A lot of vehicles come from the factory with the headlights aimed too low. Mine on my Charger were fine for me, but my wife's Infiniti were horrible, the cutoff seemed to be about 2 car lengths ahead.

Good thing is, the headlights themselves are very easy to adjust on a Charger. If you're not familiar, all you need is a long Phillips head screwdriver or Allen key, and there is an opening on either side of the headlamp housing to insert screwdriver with arrows pointing up or down whichever way you need to go. There is no lateral adjustment on the Chargers.

If you have a level driveway with a garage door it's very easy. The center of my headlight bulb on my 392 is roughly 27" from the ground. At 25 feet, the beam should be anywhere from 23-25" from the ground.

Obviously much easier to do after dark. I would start there. You'd be amazed at how much clearer the roadway is infront of you of you lift the headlights up slightly, just so you're careful to not raise them too much and blind oncoming traffic.

Also, is it glare bothering you? I do know they make night time glasses to help cut down glare without reducing vision.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
FlyersHockey
I did check the adjustment and its about like you said ..( mine is 28" checked at 25' from wall ) if not right on the money.
What I find different from the 2008 is when I turn the brights on the 2019 they light up two feet above where the low beam are on ( checking at wall ) which light up the trees and sighs for a long way.

I've thought about adjusting the headlights up but if I did my home work right that also brings the brights up too and like I said they seem like their plenty high as it is.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I would then do, like you said in your first post, try some brighter bulbs. There's dozens you can try.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I don't think there's much you can do in your situation. I'm not aware of any way to retrofit a more powerful HID bulb without replacing the ballasts as well.

Even if you were willing to hack up your wiring to accomodate 55 watt ballasts, I'm not 100% sure the stock wiring will handle it safely. And I wouldn't attempt a mod like that on a car that was still under warranty.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jt2016 Spec sheet says their HID and they come on like HID. Now you got me 2nd guessing my self ....I didn't think Charger came with LED Headlights and I know there not Halogen.

CtCarl Changing out stock bulbs for 5000K bulbs would require modification to wiring?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
jt2016 Spec sheet says their HID and they come on like HID. Now you got me 2nd guessing my self ....I didn't think Charger came with LED Headlights and I know there not Halogen.

CtCarl Changing out stock bulbs for 5000K bulbs would require modification to wiring?
If my understanding is correct, the 5000k compared to the stock 4300k is the color hue only and doesn't have to do with watts.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Did you have factory HIDs in the 2008? If not you might have gotten used to the messy pattern of HID lights in a halogen housing? My 2019 has HID and that's one the the benefits I notice over my 2006 which had stock halogen lights. I even replaced my headlights and fogs with new OEM units a few years ago to keep them ultra clean but they still weren't great at night and I didn't want to blind everyone with HID in halogen housing.

I don't know how old you are but usually that's the first thing to go when you start having issues driving at night vision wise.

I can't imagine even if you had the OEM HIDs in the 2008 that they would be somehow superior to the 2019 design unless you had some extra bright aftermarket bulbs/ballasts.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts

No, it's not necessary to modify your wiring to change to 5000k bulbs. I thought you were looking for improved visibility on account of age-related night vision problems. Changing to a cooler bulb isn't likely to help with that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No I guess I'll do that now.... I do have my window sticker and it says HID Projection. give me a few minutes I'll run the numbers .

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Any suggestions on a Good company to buy replacement HID Headlight Bulbs for 2019 Charger? Would like to buy a brighter Bulbs then stock (which would be 5000K right?)

CtCarl.... Not sure I understand your reply about changing out to cooler bulb. From what I have read stock is 4300k
I'm thinking about buying 5000k wouldn't this be a brighter bulb? Hoping this helps because I do a lot of night driving to and from work. Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
5000k is the temp of the gas inside bulb, will put of out a whiter/bluer color. Headlights are recommended between 3000k-6000k. The higher the color temperature you go, the less light output they produce. Technically a 4300k bulb would be slightly brighter than a 5000k bulb. However, a 5000k bulb will be visibly white, whereas a 4300k bulb will have a yellow tint. Both are 55 watts.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's what I thought about the watts .....I didn't know that about 4300k being brighter. Is it the white light making it look brighter? I looked at one sight and they want 160.00 for a set of bulbs I don't want to waist my money. Also is there a good company to buy bulbs. Errrr when I was younger I could see great at night LoL!!!! I Have a friend that's 10 years older and she won't drive at night because she can't see something to look forward too.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
That's what I thought about the watts .....I didn't know that about 4300k being brighter. Is it the white light making it look brighter? I looked at one sight and they want 160.00 for a set of bulbs I don't want to waist my money. Also is there a good company to buy bulbs. Errrr when I was younger I could see great at night LoL!!!! I Have a friend that's 10 years older and she won't drive at night because she can't see something to look forward too.
Try RockAuto or Amazon. The Osram OEM replacements are $179.99 even on RockAuto and that's for only one bulb. I bought a set on Amazon for $40 bucks and they're just as bright only difference is they're 6000k vs the 4300k that come standard.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts