Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an HID kit arriving tommorow and obviously the second I open it Im going to want to install it. I know you have to be very careful with the bulbs so im assuming the safest way is to pull the headlights, put the bulbs in, and put the headlights back in then run the propper harnesses verses trying to
"navigate" the bulbs through the engine bay into the housings lol

Is it a big process to remove the headlights to do this?

Any info on how?

Did you guys that installed HID's pull yours or do you got any tricks for me?

Thanks

·
Registered
964 Posts
dude it will take you alot longer to remove the headlights.. the reason is that you would have to remove the whole front bumper... its better off just puttin the HIDs just through the engine bay...

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
you know what they say
Big hands, Big Feet, Big..... you know
Im also a big guy so I asked one with smaller feet to do my bulb swaping :D

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LMAO....id ask one of the girls I know but I dont know if I trust my brand new beautiful HID capsule in the hands of a girl worried about getting her nails messed up under the hood!

·
Registered
321 Posts
its not hard!! i have big hands my self and i got them in!!!..they are delicate but not brittle!! besides you have plenty of room to install..driverside you have to remove the airbox..passenger side you have a ton of room...go for it,there is nothing more rewarding than sitting back and enjoying the mod you have accomplished!!!! good luck!

·
Registered
92 Posts
For HID Kits, I thought you would have to replace the headlight assembly as well to ensure the beam pattern doesn't get scattered around like they do for the halogen? Maybe I over thought it when I was looking at trying to order the HIDs, but my main question would be; can HID lights be used with the stock assemblies without ruining the beam pattern or the assembly itself?

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
can HID lights be used with the stock assemblies without ruining the beam pattern or the assembly itself?
This question usually starts a good E-fight lol

Mechanically, HIDs will fit in the OEM headlights without ruining anything.

tons of people have chargers with HIDs in factory housings but obviously it is no super sharp cutoff line like running them in projectors

You will have a few people tell you its not a good idea to put HID's in the factory housings b/c it could "blind" oncoming traffic but none of my friends chargers or magnums with HIDs blind anyone. Plus, you can always aim the headlights a little lower if neccesary

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
This question usually starts a good E-fight lol

Mechanically, HIDs will fit in the OEM headlights without ruining anything.

tons of people have chargers with HIDs in factory housings but obviously it is no super sharp cutoff line like running them in projectors

You will have a few people tell you its not a good idea to put HID's in the factory housings b/c it could "blind" oncoming traffic but none of my friends chargers or magnums with HIDs blind anyone. Plus, you can always aim the headlights a little lower if neccesary

At least ChargeronDavins knows what's he's doing - he just doesn't give a flying ****. Which is fine because he doesn't go around telling people interested in HIDs that they produce no glare. He just makes fun of people who would complain about glare

But you telling people there is no glare or detriment to others is irresponsible. There is no benefit to potential buyers of HID for you to lie to them about your glare.

There are lots of people telling you that your car produces glare - it's the many people on this board who judge your actions. You just don't believe them so you go into your little hole and pretend nobody *important* has told you that your car produces glare.

Honestly, it's your car so you do what you want. But don't go telling others that their new mod doesn't cause annoyance and doesn't blind people. What you're doing now is the same thing as telling someone that whistler tips don't produce unwanted noise because no one has ever complained to you about it. The lack of a sharp cutoff means there is glare. It is misleading to say reflector dish HIDs don't have as good of a cutoff - what people need to understand is the lack a sharp cutoff is what causes the glare. If you don't care about the glare then so be it. If you want to make fun of people who dislike the glare so be it.

If you are so confident about the lack of glare, then post a picture of your headlight cutoff as it is projected on a wall from at least 20 feet. If you see a very contrasted line that appears below the hight of other cars' rear view mirrors - then you are not blinding people. As such, I know your cutoff is going to be well above the beltline of most cars which means you are indeed producing glare.

There are lots of drivers out there who don't care too much about something as insignificant as blinding other drivers - so they install their HID anyway. But there are also a large number of drivers who are misled by HID vendors and customers like yourself into thinking that their HIDs are innocuous. Do the latter of those customers a favor and tell them what they're getting into. You cannot simply aim the light lower because there is no sharp cutoff. This means you'd have to aim your beams so low you'd reach the point that it's no longer safe for yourself at night. Just run the lights normal and know you're producing glare - or don't run them at all.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
lol this is what I'm talking about. I even like holeydonut, he has great things to say 99 times out of 100, but see people don't understand that I am not arguing that they are brighter. So are the lights on a pickup truck because it's higher off the ground. I like apples, a lot. I shall go eat one now.

HIDS KILL WOMEN AND CHILDREN!!!... single them out too!

Yeah man, there are these Canadian Apples called Ambrosia apples. They are really good - you should look for them at the supermarket.

I do think these HID threads are funny though - you need to go dig up that picture of your photoshop where your charger was like making other cars catch on fire.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Comming soon... to theaters near you.. brought to you by the producer of thirteen ghosts, we bring you, the High Intensity Discharge Massacre. Comming soon to theaters near you. Will you survive the radiation?

This, ladies and gentlemen and those looking to learn how to stir trouble, is how you take a thread that was calmly discussing the installation of HIDs (and someone actually mentioning about aiming them properly) and immediately run it off the road into a flamefest. Take notes, all of you newbs, especially those who are thinking of coming on here later with questions on some basement-price white trash-mobile that you just bought and are looking for cheap hints on how to keep it running... this is how you "give back to the community".

·
Registered
92 Posts
adding some fuel?

Well I thank everyone for answering to my question. I just got a couple more that will more than likely add some fuel to everyones arguing. I had kind of figured that the HIDs would cause glare which is why I haven't ordered them. However, if I bought projector headlamp assemblies and installed the HID kit with them at the same time, would that produce the safest most visible light for my car? I look forward to a response without any flames shot at anyone.

Reece

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
SMH, this guy couldnt keep it civil

Holy donut, where in the hell did you go to school man, or who taught you how to read? youve got to be f*cking kidding me. I gave MY OPINION based on cars ive seen, and pre-warned the OP about the "blinding" issue you non HID owners talk about, therefore I through both sides of the story out in the air

Nothing irresponsible about that in any way

fact is, they are not what you make them seem to be. If anything, you get the same glare as any 4x4 pickup truck lifed 4-10 inches with factory headlights

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Having said that, HIDS are probably the best mod I did to my car (just look at my sig)

·
Registered
128 Posts
hey man just go to a store and get it done pay a litle bit of money and dont worry about it your better off trust me you touch the light its ruined the bulb is done go to a performance shop get it done your better off that how i did mine with the projector headlights

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
SMH, this guy couldnt keep it civil

Holy donut, where in the hell did you go to school man, or who taught you how to read? youve got to be f*cking kidding me. I gave MY OPINION based on cars ive seen, and pre-warned the OP about the "blinding" issue you non HID owners talk about, therefore I through both sides of the story out in the air

Nothing irresponsible about that in any way

fact is, they are not what you make them seem to be. If anything, you get the same glare as any 4x4 pickup truck lifed 4-10 inches with factory headlights

Yeah man, I can read... here's what you typed:

Not only are you saying that your friends do not blind anyone - you're recommending that somebody actually aim their own headlights down as a fix. That type of recommendation is dangerous in itself. It's not like you were absent in those previous threads talking about HIDs. There is no proper way to aim your headlights when you do not have a sharp cutoff.

Lots of people have told you HIDs cause blinding glare to motorists... how you go about stating an opinion to the contrary is beyond me. Nobody has told you that your HIDs are going to drop bombs or napalm forests though... although there is still that 0.000000000000000001% chance your HIDs interfere a laser bomb guiding system and then cause a car to blow up from a stray bomb.

Obviously some people think differently than I do. I believe if you aim HID equipped Charger reflector headlights down to avoid glare it is dangerous. I would never recommend this to someone and if someone were to post it as a suggestion I would interject to oppose what i feel is a dangerous suggestion. This is because you lower the beam pattern to where they do not produce enough forward light to make it safe for the driver. I hope people just aim their headlights "properly" and produce glare than create a safety issue out of lack of forward vision. Glare is unable to light up the front of your car. glare is simply stray light that is now being sent above the beltline of most cars where there used to be none. When this extra light goes into people's dilated pupils it is much brighter than the stray light of other cars so it causes glare.

If someone were to recommend that it were safe to put a car up on the hallow cinder blocks to work on - would you just stay mum or recommend that they use true jack stands or a lift? If someone were to recommend using WD40 on brake parts, would you stay mum? I hope not. At least you wouldn't have people berating you for engaging in arguments with those who insist it is safe to climb under a car supported by cinder blocks.

Just bringing up th notion that this is thread crapping is a bit far fetched. This is not derailing a "civil" thread when people who are Pro-HID come in suggesting potentially dangerous adjustments to their headlights. I've never said the HIDs cause accidents or set cars ablaze - what I do mention is that they produce glare and customers need to be aware of this. As long as there are people out there looking to learn, I feel it's important to point out the consequences about their HIDs. I wouldn't be posting this stuff if it weren't for the multitude of posts that hint at the idea that there is a safe way to operate reflector-dish-drop-in-HIDs without glare and still be safe for the driver.

I know too many people who bought their HIDs and had no clue that they were producing glare to others; because they are often mislead online and by vendors. But when I sit them in my car and have those "no-glare-producing" headlights pulled up behind my car - they see the glare other motorists would see. Some people remain apathetic to the glare since they want the mods. So if they lift their 4x4 up in the air with HIDs they are completely fine with it because they know full well what is giong on. Some people take those HIDs right back out of their car because they don't want to be a ***** to others.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Ladies and Gents, I swear that if I get one more complaint about the people coming in and hijacking these HID threads, there WILL be INFRACTIONS issued! Posts that are meant to stir the pot are not permitted. NO MORE FLAMING!

Please get this thread back on topic, and answer this mans question!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Ladies and Gents, I swear that if I get one more complaint about the people coming in and hijacking these HID threads, there WILL be INFRACTIONS issued! Posts that are meant to stir the pot are not permitted. NO MORE FLAMING!

Please get this thread back on topic, and answer this mans question!

The original poster made the original comment that he could simply aim his headlights down to avoid glare. This was made as a response to another poster asked if the beam pattern would be affected adversely by the HIDs.

Would you rather people just stay out and let those lurking/reading for information infer that they could safely aim their lights down?

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
The original poster made the original comment that he could simply aim his headlights down to avoid glare. This was made as a response to another poster asked if the beam pattern would be affected adversely by the HIDs.

Would you rather people just stay out and let those lurking/reading for information infer that they could safely aim their lights down?
I'm talking about Davins and Jarpod's posts in paticular, posts meant to "stir the pot" are NOT permitted and are in poor taste...My post was meant as a general warning to stop with the flaming and crapping. End of story.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts