Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a Firefighter/EMT and I am looking to install flashing headlights (wig-wag) in the high-beams of my 2009 Charger SXT. It's civilian, no police options.

I have had ZERO luck with ground side switched flashing units (I'm on #3 now with no luck) and am thinking it can't be done in this car. I am very proficient in automotive electronics and have done this in other cars with no problem, but I'm totally stumped. I can get the lights to flash, but the high-beam override doesn't turn OFF the wigwag to allow the brights to work, and the other one the wigwag wouldn't work unless I had the high beams on, and then I could only get one side to flash, and the other side wouldn't light....

Anyone have any suggestions?

Before anyone goes off on the "you shouldn't do it/you'll get your car impounded/it's illegal" discussion... it's not, I have a license, a permit, and it's legal in Illinois. I just need technical support, please.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Best bet

I understand your frustration, but the computer controls all of the lighting and aftermarket flasher units just don't work. Only the Chargers with police wiring and the specific flasher unit will work without butchering everything. Your best best is to go the LED insert route. I understand that it's not ideal, but you will have unlimited flash patterns practically and much less headache to deal with. Just a friendly suggestion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...

Awesome work, Dodge, on making another vehicle that is difficult to modify for after market use... I want my Impala back.

Thank you for the reply... I had just seen other civilian Chargers on youtube, that had non-factory flashers, but none of them had the part listed or anything so I wasn't sure how tough it was or if I was missing something...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I gave up on the high-beam wig-wag aftermarket project... I ended up using a standard positive-switched headlight flasher and I wig-wagged the fog lamps. It's not ideal, but it looks pretty sweet... Thanks for everyone's suggestions/support

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a question on this same topic so I decided to not create a new thread. I have ordered a Whelen headlight flasher for my 2008 charger r/t. Anyways I was wondering if you guys know if the High-Beams are activated by a positive connection or negative connection. Also which wires are the positive and negative for the high-beam connection.

Thanx in advance

So far:

Installing the wig-wags and in the front put the top light on the dash, getting rid of the small one, and getting an interior light bar.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Not recommended

Just like the situation the OP was in....if your Charger is not a Police package model, an aftermarket flasher unit will not work properly. Our cars lighting is controlled by computer not just a switch to send 12v down the line. You can search for other threads, but you'll be cutting into you wires with virtually no chance of it working. I would love for you to prove me wrong, but the Charger police models were designed with head and tail wig-wag flashers integrated with the computer, the civilian models were not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The thing that drives me nuts... is that I've seen civilian Chargers with wig-wags that are aftermarket... how did they do it? what model? what brand? I ended up just wig-wagging the fog lights... it sucks, but I'm not going to wreck the electrical system in my car to make the high-beams work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Alright after some research. I have talked to companies and the best cheapest flasher I can find that will WORK with the civilian charger.

http://www.sirennet.com/whuhf2150.html

All I need to find out is if someone has a schematic for the headlight unit or if someone could tell me are the Highbeam lights are activated by a positive or negative connection and what color wires are used for the + and - wires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's ground-side switched... black wire is ground, white wire or yellow is 12vDC going to each headlamp. I didn't trace the harness back farther than a few feet to see what color it turns into further back... To remove the headlamp assembly you have to take the whole front fascia off, and I wasn't going to do that just to install a wig-wag

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have a Whelen flasher on my Daytona .... I just intercepted the bright headlight wires at the headlight housing on the OEM harness. My brights still work when the wig wags are not going, work fine while driving with the low beams on or off.

I have a different Whelen module on my rear tail lights/brake lights/reverse lights.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am getting the flasher in tomorrow and installing it. The thing is you dont really need to remove the headlight assembly at all...just pull some wire out, cut them, solder and attach the wires to the flasher, run the power switch and done.

And another question. Can you run multiple lights to one flasher? Such as have my highbeams and my fog lights "wig-wag" off one flasher.

·
Registered
298 Posts
You can run them to 2 sets of lights - some cheaper flashers will feed back into the other lights. Example is you have your highbeams on (normal driving) and your fog lights are activated also since the highbeams are feeding back into the fogs thus powering them up also.

I can get the model number later this evening if you need.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well I have the Whelen 4 Pattern Headlight/Grille Light Flasher (WHUHF2150A). I was thinking it would be more visible to have it running my fogs and highbeams but didnt know if it would work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So you want to run with the wigwag on the highbeam and fog lamps? I'd love to see a video of your set up. The only problem I have with the fog lamps is that they aren't aimed up like the high beams are... it's better than nothing though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ill upload a new video in a couple days. Just ordered some new lights and want to install them before the car is shown.

(older setup but the back is the same still)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Turns out that it didnt work. In order to actually to get it work I had to bypass the computer and run the wiring myself, not going to do that. I wanted to know if I am able to install the flasher on my fogs and reverse lights and NOT have to bypass the computer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am going to get a rank change soon hopefully.. so I dont want to install hide-a-ways until I know for sure. (color change) so I am wanting to figure out if the "headlight" flasher would hopefully work for reverse and fogs properly

1 - 20 of 24 Posts