Charger Forums banner

Which headers to go with.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys...im losing my mind. I've talked to a couple people about what headers to buy, but i dunno still...i was thinking about getting JBA shorties cause the price is right and whatnot (and i heard they wont throw a code, even though i have now found out LTs dont either), but now ive been told to get longtube mopars....

I was quoted a price to install the shorties for about $650, and i cant figure the LTs would be much more than that, but you have to keep in mind that the LT package is going to be about 3-400 dollars more...

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!

any input would be greatly appreciated.

-steve

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
I like my mopar headers, can get a good price at mopar performance, and come with high flow cats.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I was just going to be cheap any byy the JBA shorties, but then after I figured in buying the high flow cats too, the shorties aren't much cheaper. That is why I went a head with the Longtubes.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
LTs...of all the fastest times I've seen posted in the 1/4 mile...the fastest always have LTs. Of course, if that is what you want, then go for LTs! I know I will...

·
Registered
529 Posts
I think the Mopars are perfect. Install was $500.

·
Registered
928 Posts
yep you wont save much over the mopars if you get the jba headers and mid pipes. the install will be the same cost.

you will be sorry if you dont get highflow cats.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep you wont save much over the mopars if you get the jba headers and mid pipes. the install will be the same cost.

you will be sorry if you dont get highflow cats.
see that's what im thinking...i cant see shorties giving me that much power if im keeping the stock cats the f-ing rattle anyways...i mean thats about right for two high flow cats about 150 a piece.

I just wish I could find someone that will install these for under 650...its really hard for me to spend 1200 dollars for about 20 horses.

·
Registered
507 Posts
where are you guys buying your Mopar LT at and for how much? thanks

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
MPSC. best price ive seen.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
You can't really consider the LT's as a mod in and of themselves. Instead, think of them as the set up to help the future major engine mods (Cam/\heads) to perform to their true potential. Cam and heads will produce x hp, lt's produce y hp, but combined they do more than produce x+y hp increase. They compliment each other. So even if you only gain 20hp from lt's, eventually when you do the rest of the engine work (if you do) you will find out why the investment makes sense.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Speaking of headers, and being wow'd by MPSC's price, how do the Mopar lt's compare to say Kooks?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I went with the Mopars. I think it was a great choice with the high flow cats. Install was about $400. Yes moparsupercenter was the cheapest around by far, and I looked everywhere.:grin:

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Speaking of headers, and being wow'd by MPSC's price, how do the Mopar lt's compare to say Kooks?
there was a HHUUUGGGEEE (like 5 page) debate about kooks vs mopar on some other thread. one guy was sayin mopar is the best cause all the cars w/ the fastest times have mopar, and kooks suck because the collector is too big. other people love kooks though. personally i dk. the mopars arent a LONG tube header, they're more like mid-length, if you compare them to slp, dynatech, or kooks, but it seems like the mopar's do their job and they are equal length and thats a big plus

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Mopar LT's and install was just about 400. Best 1/4 mile time is now 13.6 with the SC and a CAI.
Im with TBYDaytona40. The LT's are the set up for future engine mods.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Longtubes are better than shorties. You will gain more total power and more power across every RPM range. I think that if you plan on keeping your car only mildly modified, than the Mopar mid length tubes would be your best bet. If you plan on more heavily modifying your engine with cams, heads, 426, forced induction, etc than the Kooks would be the better choice. I say this because the collector size on the Mopars is smaller than on the Kooks, which means that the stock exhaust flow of the Charger will flow faster in a smaller space than in a larger space. But if your car is producing more exhaust gases than a stock engine produces (426, forced induction, cam, heads, etc) than you will need a larger collector to handle the increase in exhaust volume.

Stock engines would probably have the Mopars giving a good, even gain across the entire RPM spectrum while the Kooks might hurt you a bit down low but give you higher gains in the high RPM range (Higher than the Mopars).

Shorties = high rpm power, no low end increase

Mid length = good, stable power increase across entire RPM range

Long tubes = highest total HP gains of the three, high low end increase with good (possibly slightly lower than mid length) high RPM increase.

That's my understanding so far.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.