Charger Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How important is having your headers ceramic coated. I understand some of the reasoning (ie: reduced heat soak, increased life, looks, etc). However, am I really going to see gains based on a coated header vs a stainless one. Is it worth the several hundered dollar premium on a product that is already quite expensive? Thoughts???

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i dont thing there are any gains w/ the coatings. the biggest gain you would see would be if you had them wrapped w/ that heat wrap stuff... it keeps the heat in the exhaust so it doesnt spread to anywhere else... the other stuff is just for show...

·
Registered
135 Posts
i dont thing there are any gains w/ the coatings. the biggest gain you would see would be if you had them wrapped w/ that heat wrap stuff... it keeps the heat in the exhaust so it doesnt spread to anywhere else... the other stuff is just for show...

Actually the ceramic coating keeps the heat in just like heat wrap. The ceramic coating also helps the headers with heat fatigue. I would recommend getting it. With the research I've done these 5.7's don't like the heat. The ceramic coating creates the heat barrier. Well worth the extra couple hundred dollars when you've already spend the grand on nice LT's. It will protect them nicely.

·
Registered
928 Posts
yep my LT's are coated

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I went with the ceramic coating on my shorties. I figured I'm spending so damn much money, might as well get the coated set.
I'm glad I did, the headers are so damn tight in there, I was worried about the heat from the headers. The coating really keeps down the heat.
Also, when going with headers you deleat the factory heat shields. Not to mention, non coated ones will oxidize heavily

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I had the option (at the time) of SS or Ceramic Coated.... Get the coating.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Ceramic coating does a couple different things for you. First it helps keep the heat in the exhaust, hot exhaust gases flow faster than cold exhaust gases which gives you more power. Secondly it keeps the heat out of the engine compartment, which cuts heat soak and also improves power. Thirdly it helps preserve your headers from oxidizing. The couple hundred dollars for a quality coating (ceramic, jet hot, etc) is a wise investment.

Header wraps on the other hand are not a wise choice. It causes the headers to break from heat stress much sooner than an uncoated header and far, far sooner than a coated header. Performance gains are about equal to that of a coated header but the drastic cut in header life makes this a bad choice tbh.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts