Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
***Brakes Failed Near Fatal Accident Last Night***

Have you ever taken your Charger Fishing?

Before
Notice how pretty she looks.......

Well we sure did caught some fish with my older son till it started to get dark. So we left and headed home. So we thought; till dad slammed on the brakes going through a curve only traveling at 60mph on a one lane going and one coming. Why you ask? Another car is passing a slower car in the curve of this road headed straight at me:knockout: . The brakes failed to respond instead of slowing/stopping the vehicle: instead I felt like I was going over a railroad track and the steering wheel was vibrating so hard I thought it would pop out of the dash. Went off roading with the Charger and dad was doing a different kind of Fishing....<fish tailing>.....Got out looked at the damage called the police reoprted the incident. Waiting for the tow truck for 2 hours in what now is a lightning storm. Kid was shooken up I was pissed. End of story car at dealersip with 2 flat tires and who knows what else. :cry:

This is the 2nd time I had a near fatal incident due to the crappy brakes we have on our Chargers. The 1st time the dealer told me they just had to "cut" the rotors instead of replacing them and resurfaced the brake pads??? On emergency brake application I now do not trust this car anymore; sad to say I love my family more.

After

·
Registered
181 Posts
sad to hear that my friend

on the plus side though you and your family ar ok and you didnt get hurt :)

·
Premium Member
11,946 Posts
Wow. So sorry to hear and see about your accident. I'm glad that you and your son are ok.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow. So sorry to hear and see about your accident. I'm glad that you and your son are ok.
Thanks..... Yea I didn't get a chance to take pics at the accident scene and defintely not :ninja: in a lightning storm with heavy downpour in complete darkness I waited until I got to the dealer.....

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
glad to hear ur ok sorry about the car thou

·
Registered
780 Posts
That is messed up about the car! Is this a problem with the brakes on all our cars? I have not read about a brake problem. Maybe I better do a more thorough search.
I sure hope you remembered to remove any fish you caught from the trunk!

I'm glad you and your son are safe, it could have been much worse!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is messed up about the car! Is this a problem with the brakes on all our cars? I have not read about a brake problem. Maybe I better do a more thorough search.
I sure hope you remembered to remove any fish you caught from the trunk!
When under emergency braking (IE slamming on the brakes)the steering wheel vibrates real bad; no nose dive what so ever to indicate brakes are working properly and traction control never came on as we went off road and spun. I think the R/t's do have problems with the brakes not sure how many 07's but I hope no one else will ever have this happen to them.

Gee now I remembered what I forgot thanks will get them Mon. in the A.M. I like the fish well done anyway.

·
Registered
780 Posts
When under emergency braking (IE slamming on the brakes)the steering wheel vibrates real bad; no nose dive what so ever to indicate brakes are working properly and traction control never came on as we went off road and spun. I think the R/t's do have problems with the brakes not sure how many 07's but I hope no one else will ever have this happen to them.

Gee now I remembered what I forgot thanks will get them Mon. in the A.M. I like the fish well done anyway.

I'm going to try a few emergency braking maneuvers to see how it responds. (when other cars are not around of course)
Dude, you have me worried now. Did this happen mainly at speeeds above 50MPH?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I've had my R/T a while, and I've never had a brake problem, other than the dam rears squeeling (fixed that with Centric replacement pads - ceramic front, extended wear rear).

Granted, I've only had to brake hard a few times, but the brakes always responded well and predictably.

Including with I bedded the new pads in - I pounded the heck out of them that day!

I've had more issues with the tires. The Michelins I have (R/T with R&T) are okay on dry, poor on wet, and dismal on snow. I have Blizzaks for winter, much improved wet and snow, and still decent on dry pavement.

The brakes far outperform the tires.

I'm glad you got through that incident unscathed, at least the people. Good luck in getting something done too. I hate to say it, you're probably in for an uphill battle.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
I've had my R/T a while, and I've never had a brake problem, other than the dam rears squeeling (fixed that with Centric replacement pads - ceramic front, extended wear rear).

Granted, I've only had to brake hard a few times, but the brakes always responded well and predictably.

Including with I bedded the new pads in - I pounded the heck out of them that day!

I've had more issues with the tires. The Michelins I have (R/T with R&T) are okay on dry, poor on wet, and dismal on snow. I have Blizzaks for winter, much improved wet and snow, and still decent on dry pavement.

The brakes far outperform the tires.

I'm glad you got through that incident unscathed, at least the people. Good luck in getting something done too. I hate to say it, you're probably in for an uphill battle.
Ditto! I've made a couple of panic stops (effing deer in the road! :fuming:) and my car acted predictably, even in wet conditions. I think your car may be faulty, Narc! :(

·
Registered
838 Posts
Was that 60 MPH on a 1 lane GRAVEL road that was wet and on a bend?
Car did just fine, was driver error if that was the case.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was that 60 MPH on a 1 lane GRAVEL road that was wet and on a bend?
Car did just fine, was driver error if that was the case.
No it was a paved road and sorry it was not driver error I am certified in Emergency Vehicle Operations-EVOC

Ditto! I've made a couple of panic stops (effing deer in the road! :fuming:) and my car acted predictably, even in wet conditions. I think your car may be faulty, Narc! :(
Maybe it is-- this is the 2nd time 1st time was not as bad where I lost control.

I'm going to try a few emergency braking maneuvers to see how it responds. (when other cars are not around of course)
Dude, you have me worried now. Did this happen mainly at speeeds above 50MPH?
Yes actually 1st time was around 50-55 and this time I was at 60mph

And yes I started the battle at 8am this morning and finished at 3pm-Short recap the tech put my spare on the right front and a 17 on right rear (I have 18's on there anyone see anything wrong with the picture already?) he looked at the brakes and said they are fine are within specs. (yea ok) He then took it for a test drive for less than 7min came back says "she drives fine I cant find a problem stops on a dime I cant repreduce your complaint? (WTF no kidding) I told him the car needs to be driven longer than just a couple min like I drive it on a daily basis minimum of half hour. Manager came out said nothing we can do specs seem fine bring the car back when you have another problem. I had a hidden arsenol that I ripped out at the end and that was the recall that was put out by NHTSA about the rear brakes locking up and causing crashes due to ABS software not being updated they said that it is not coming up in "VIP" with any recalls and they refused to do anything. I got on the phone with my Depts. Attorney to seek legal advice and when I asked the service manager for his last name he wondered why. All of a sudden it shows up in something called "tech connect" but not in "VIP" and shows my recall they hooked it up and found that indeed it needed the software upgrade and they did it. And they determined that maybe that is what caused me to lose control. (Gee guess we found something after all)

I told the manager to get his big round butt in my car and we are going for a test drive. 15 min later car started the wheel shimmining symptoms and the tranny now got stuck at 3000rpms Anyhow he started to see what I was describing slightly now but did not want to fully admit.

We got back to the dealership he says to me we are going to slap on 4 new rotors and pads also we are going to check out the tranny and replace the now fogged up left front headlamp housing. Sorry for the long drawn out story. I guess it took my phone call to my PD Atty. to get some heads rolling but it's getting done.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
No it was a paved road and sorry it was not driver error I am certified in Emergency Vehicle Operations-EVOC

Maybe it is-- this is the 2nd time 1st time was not as bad where I lost control.

Yes actually 1st time was around 50-55 and this time I was at 60mph

And yes I started the battle at 8am this morning and finished at 3pm-Short recap the tech put my spare on the right front and a 17 on right rear (I have 18's on there anyone see anything wrong with the picture already?) he looked at the brakes and said they are fine are within specs. (yea ok) He then took it for a test drive for less than 7min came back says "she drives fine I cant find a problem stops on a dime I cant repreduce your complaint? (WTF no kidding) I told him the car needs to be driven longer than just a couple min like I drive it on a daily basis minimum of half hour. Manager came out said nothing we can do specs seem fine bring the car back when you have another problem. I had a hidden arsenol that I ripped out at the end and that was the recall that was put out by NHTSA about the rear brakes locking up and causing crashes due to ABS software not being updated they said that it is not coming up in "VIP" with any recalls and they refused to do anything. I got on the phone with my Depts. Attorney to seek legal advice and when I asked the service manager for his last name he wondered why. All of a sudden it shows up in something called "tech connect" but not in "VIP" and shows my recall they hooked it up and found that indeed it needed the software upgrade and they did it. And they determined that maybe that is what caused me to lose control. (Gee guess we found something after all)

I told the manager to get his big round butt in my car and we are going for a test drive. 15 min later car started the wheel shimmining symptoms and the tranny now got stuck at 3000rpms Anyhow he started to see what I was describing slightly now but did not want to fully admit.

We got back to the dealership he says to me we are going to slap on 4 new rotors and pads also we are going to check out the tranny and replace the now fogged up left front headlamp housing. Sorry for the long drawn out story. I guess it took my phone call to my PD Atty. to get some heads rolling but it's getting done.
:clap:

Good for you, dude! Keep their feet to the fire, until you're satisfied it's right!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Thanks for clearing up the road conditions, no problem!

Glad is acted up for you and the dealer, now they will fix the darn thing!

Please don't quote "I am certified in Emergency Vehicle Operations-EVOC" cause to me that means zip zero nada!

We had a "EVOC" actually run over and kill a person that had stopped to help a driver until emergency services arrived. He was killed by the EVOC driver. (Evoc driver is not facing charges bigtime (he was not impaired)

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
You let a "big round butt service manager" ride in your Charger!???!!! I suppose you let him smoke cigars in there too?!!!??? Hahahaha, <jk> .

I'm glad you got them to start moving on things.
The other, most surefire way you'd have gotten them to admit all kinds of things that were wrong: Right when the warranty runs out. DCX, Ford, GM - they're all the same when it comes to that.

I had a Ford years ago that kept doing CEL, and the trans wouldn't shift up past 2nd gear. "No codes" were recorded, etc. B.S. I finally caught in the act one day, pulled into the dealership with it still running, made the S.M. come for a ride - he SAW the CEL, rode in it when it wouldn't shift outta 2nd. Later, "could not duplicate concern", blah blah. Until the warranty ran out many months later, then I needed a whole new trans. Surprise, surprise. Ford did end up paying for it, but only because I could document my visits myself. Mysteriously, my records on their end could not be located ???

I finally did buy another Ford, as my wife liked the Focus out of all the competing cars we tested. I'm overdue to pay a nice, nasty visit to Huntington Ford in Rochester Hills, MI to show them yet another vehicle I've purchased from someone else. They just love that.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Please don't quote "I am certified in Emergency Vehicle Operations-EVOC" cause to me that means zip zero nada!
You know and I tried so hard to impress u; darn you are not easy. :D Oh well life goes on. :D

Update got my car out today; turns out the O-Ring was leaking so that was added to the list. New Pads, Rotors, ABS Software Upgrade (Recall), New Rims and Tires, and Headlamp Housing. They sure moved quick. :ninja: Cars handles beautifully now.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 27 Posts