Charger Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it may sound stupid. But I have never looked forward to driving as much as I do now. I owned an 87 Grand National, that I purchased new, and I didn't look forward to driving it as much as I do my Charger.

Also, I've never wanted to stay on top of keeping a car clean like I do now.

Is it just me?

If you have had an everyday ride you enjoyed more than the Charger, I'd be curious to know what it was.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Not since my first car 32 years ago! It was the original 1966 Charger with the 383. There's something about your first car,and being a teenager, that makes for priceless memories. Like how long and hard I had to work scrimp and save just to get a pair of air shocks.

The 06 brings things out those old memories and feeling again! I only wish I could have both sitting I my garage today.

Every vehicle since, and up to now, I don't remember much about nor do I care (except for may the 72 Charger I owned for a couple years). :happy:

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
a14Umbra:
I knew there was a reason I liked you. My first car was a 68 Mustang but it sure wasn't fun to drive - although I loved it.

However, I worked for Buick in 1987 and got a Grand National demo car. I loved that thing and even though it wasn't mine I waxed it constantly. I wouold sometiimes drive around for no reason at night.
I thought about buying one but didn't and I'm glad becuase I never would have kept it with me all these years.
Since then I've owned a lot of new cars. The Charger is the only other one I would drive around in circles rather then going home. I go out on errands and forget stuff so I can go back!
It looks great, rides great and its still unique. Just like the Grand National.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I actually just finished washing mine. My wife and neighbors couldn't believe I let it go for more than 7 days. I've had this car since May and put just over 4300 miles on it and I still love to drive it like the day I got it. Actually more now that I'm way past break-in and gotten a better feel for what the car can do.

·
Registered
127 Posts
my first car was a 1979Z28, which i still own

i loved to drive as a teenager

but nothing compares to my Charger
i look forward to even driving all the way to work because its mostly highway

loving the 88 to 294 comute!

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hemiready said:
a14Umbra:
I knew there was a reason I liked you. My first car was a 68 Mustang but it sure wasn't fun to drive - although I loved it.

However, I worked for Buick in 1987 and got a Grand National demo car. I loved that thing and even though it wasn't mine I waxed it constantly. I wouold sometiimes drive around for no reason at night.
I thought about buying one but didn't and I'm glad becuase I never would have kept it with me all these years.
Since then I've owned a lot of new cars. The Charger is the only other one I would drive around in circles rather then going home. I go out on errands and forget stuff so I can go back!
It looks great, rides great and its still unique. Just like the Grand National.
When my first son was born, I had to sell my GN. I think my wife has always felt guilty about it, although I never complained. But, I think that's why she encouraged me to get the Charger. Somehow, she knew it would be a suitable replacement.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Crazy_luck said:
My '68 chevelle was the only car I enjoyed more. I tried to drive it daily, but the 5mpg it got (anywhere, city and highway) made it hard to do, and that was when gas was $1.35 a gallon (remember then??).
Oh man, I remeber when it was 36 cents a gallon for 104 Sunoco, am I gettin old or what, hehe :)

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I remember my parents searching for a gas station that had it for 26 cents a gallon, because 28 cents was too much. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
camero said:
Oh man, I remeber when it was 36 cents a gallon for 104 Sunoco, am I gettin old or what, hehe :)
Yes I know the feeling I remember .25 gallon for ethel man does that make me feel old! My first car I bought was a used 69 383 4/spd Cuda fast back in 1972 man do I wish I still had that car. It was a late 69 release and very few made it came complete with a bullet hole through both rear quarters. That was a gift from the Kansas hi way patrol when the previous owner was being chased and blew threw a road block they were trying for the tires and got the flip top gas cap instead. I guess they spent the rest of the night at a friends body shop fixing holes, AHH the good old days fast cars and weak brakes! I didn't come across to many Chevelle's that would keep up with it either. As much as I liked that car it doesn't hold a candle to my Daytona the more I drive it the more I love it! Good job Mopar! :yes:

·
Registered
85 Posts
My '68 chevelle was the only car I enjoyed more. I tried to drive it daily, but the 5mpg it got (anywhere, city and highway) made it hard to do, and that was when gas was $1.35 a gallon (remember then??).
OK Folks:
In the middle 50's, I saw regular for 8.9¢ at the McCoys station at the Catawba river bridge between Charlotte and Belmont NC. The next lowest I saw was between Charlotte and Statesville NC at 13.9¢.(Gas Wars)
Imagine being able to fill up our tanks for $1.70 !
Most of my friends have Town Cars and love them. I dread the day that I may want one too.
Still going for:cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
a14umbra said:
When my first son was born, I had to sell my GN. I think my wife has always felt guilty about it, although I never complained. But, I think that's why she encouraged me to get the Charger. Somehow, she knew it would be a suitable replacement.[/QUOTE

I managed to hold on to the GN and its still a kick to drive but the biggest problem is I DON"T DRIVE IT THAT MUCH :mad: because it is a 23K mile unmolested car and increasing in value. I have promised myself that I WILL DRIVE the SRT-8 when it finally arrives and to hell with future collectability. I intend to drive it everyday (weather permitting :wink: )

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DrDeath said:
OK Folks:
In the middle 50's, I saw regular for 8.9¢ at the McCoys station at the Catawba river bridge between Charlotte and Belmont NC. The next lowest I saw was between Charlotte and Statesville NC at 13.9¢.(Gas Wars)
Imagine being able to fill up our tanks for $1.70 !
Most of my friends have Town Cars and love them. I dread the day that I may want one too.
Still going for:cool:

Dude! My whole family is from Catawba County!

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SRT/8 said:
I managed to hold on to the GN and its still a kick to drive but the biggest problem is I DON"T DRIVE IT THAT MUCH
I had over 120,000 miles on my GN when I sold it. I loved that car.

·
Banned
103 Posts
I enjoy driving my supra more. Just because it handles better/ chicks love it/ targa topped/ faster and every domestic guy i know hates it. but then again when i want to relax and drive with ease, I drive the charger. I like it because its power when I need it and it is still a pretty attractive car. Both cars are well maintained But the supra I baby a little more.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Looking at a lot of these posts in terms of gas price memories (which gives away your age) it seems that Dodge hit their target market with us!

by the way, I was driving down by the beach the other day in the sunshine and ..Freebird came on the radio. All I needed was a Quina shirt and poof - back to high school.

As far as the Grand National goes, I was lucky enough to get a new one every few months but man I loved that car. I used to look for people to race all night.

If I bought an SRT8 I would drive it every day and never worry about appreciation or depreciation. :happy:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts