Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Another forum I'm on had a sex spam attack last December, that went straight to members in-boxes instead of postings on forums. It took us days to ban over 200 individual spam accounts.

To this day there are members that sign-in and report violations from the PMs generated 4 months ago.

·
Administrator
707 Posts
Thanks guys. The creep had 46 of these threads at 300cforums. We got off easy with 24 I guess. This new software seems to make it easier for them getting around Stop Forum Spam. I used to get reported post emails with vBulletin, but not with this software. Gotta check physically now. There's still a report post feature, but it goes nowhere.

Bernie

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,651 Posts
Thanks guys. The creep had 46 of these threads at 300cforums. We got off easy with 24 I guess. This new software seems to make it easier for them getting around Stop Forum Spam. I used to get reported post emails with vBulletin, but not with this software. Gotta check physically now. There's still a report post feature, but it goes nowhere.

Bernie

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Any way to set up a filter for "non-English text" in Thread Titles? Just a thought...

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Indeed, I am not fond of this spam nonsense. I have "reported" like posts several times, apparently with no response.
Not sure what good reporting it does........

Don

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Don,

I reported spam a couple times myself, but according to Admin, it seems like the software application does not send an email notification to the moderators for action. They out to just empower users with the ban hammer so we can handle this shit ourselves on the spot.

Erik

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I know it seems to be happening a bit more frequently than it used to. I notice it more with the classic first post in a thread from 4 years ago.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
It's been going on for 2 decades.
I've only need a member here for about 6 years, but the hockey forum I was at for 16 years had over 100k members and had nowhere near the amount of spam crap that this place does. Granted this place seems to have much less traffic than that place so maybe the moderators aren't here as often to take care of it, which I understand. It does seem to have gotten a lot worse in the past 3 months though, and member activity has also seemed to decrease even more.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
^ Agree. Spam has been around for years but this shit is getting more frequent and intense. If the software cant filter it out then it needs to be manually deleted and banned.

Wish they (spammers) would curl up like a cocktail shrimp and hide in the basement with the rest of . . . .

·
Registered
284 Posts
They might have to update the forum if this gets worse. I've seen forums close because of these spammers.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I went back and looked at Release Note #47 dated the 24th and it addresses a software upgrade to handle spam. So hopefully we will see less of it.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Are all these new threads today real or spam?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts