Charger Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought new tires from a NTB store for my 97 Intrepid and 90 Grand Prix last yearin Nov. I have had the GP back twice because the drivers side tire kept going down. They said stem, no problem found etc. Anyway, Last week I found the tire flat, Pumped it up, Came back from Short Vac. Flat again. took car to NTB, watched them put car on lift, open hood(mind you, this for a flat repair, checked everything(this took 1 hr.)at last couldn't find foreign object in tire, removed said tire, took to tank, found the bead was leaking, tech told me when tires were put on the wheel was not checked and had corroision on the sealing surface(again, they put it on)said that the tire had to be removed and rim cleaned(with airgrinder and wire wheel). took 5 minutes. T thought that they would not charge me. Again my mistake, time to go, bill 49.00. I explained that they put the tire on, should of checked the bead sealing surface, and because they didn't, I was not going to pay for this, the manager said that you have to pay extra for the surface to be checked when you get new tires.

This is so much bull or am I from an age when service was different. In my apprentice yrs(4 yrs) I mounted hundreds of tires, My manager told me that you always check the surface, we always ran a wire brush over it just to remiove any rubber or dead rats or birds that might have been stuck on the rim before you mount the tire. Was I wrong or am I asking for normal service. This is my question??

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
sounds like something that should have been done at the time of the initial install.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I thought, Just anouther way to make money on your dime.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
No not wrong, if that is there stance they should then have to pay you for your time and trouble as they didnt give you the option to have it done correctly the first time, wether there would have been a charge or not!!

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also tried to sell me plug wires and serpintine belt. RIP off.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
I agree that they should have checked the bead/rim surfaces when they mounted the tires initially. I think the big tipoff to their slimey ways was watching them open the hood to check on a leaky tire. I suspect they're having a slow sales week. Run away.

Best,

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
hey i have that same problem on my old camry with chrome rims. one of the rims is corroted under the tire and has a bead leak. Takes about 2 weeks for the tire to completely go flat. Before I knew what the problem was, i took the car to Just Tires and they told me about the corrosion. I asked if anything can be done...NOPE was the answer.

So can anything be done? can i clean up the corrosion? paint/seal it? someone mentioned sticking a tire tube inside but it might make the tire look funny? what can be done?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts