Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering today as I was taking a curve at 75mph, if ESP has saved anyone. My experiences have only been is when it kicks in when the roads are slick and I am taking off at a traffic light. That certainly cannot be whole purpose of the ESP. So has anyone been saved by ESP?

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I suppose its always working when I drive like a wild man. I am still alive so I suppose it works.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Not having it on almost killed me one day...lol....so I'm sure it has come in quite handy a few times, even if I didn't realize it.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
yup... it has saved my butt'e a couple of times!

·
Registered
751 Posts
No not at all. If you notice my other daily driver is an 86 so it has nothing in the way of traction control ABS and whatever. Funny thing is I drive that truck all winter long and get the topside up and stay on the road even in the world of lots of snow and ice like where I live. No I don't run around in 4X4 all the time, most of the time my hubs are unlocked and I have to get out to lock so there is no shift on the fly. When it was built you just had to actually learn how to handle your vehicle. Now days people require babysitting for just about everything and this ESP crap is about the same. There are significant benefits to antilock brakes, traction control and so forth. Don't think I am downplaying technology and just slamming it, I am not. However if people would just actually would learn how to drive properly you wouldn't have to have such an intrusive safety system in place to try and save them from themselves. I like my Diablo and the ability to turn it all off because I find the ESP and the torque management that comes with it far too intrusive for my personal tastes.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I was wondering today as I was taking a curve at 75mph, if ESP has saved anyone. My experiences have only been is when it kicks in when the roads are slick and I am taking off at a traffic light. That certainly cannot be whole purpose of the ESP. So has anyone been saved by ESP?
One time I gave my Charger some juice while turning onto another road. I had just gotten the Charger like a week prior. Thank God no other cars there...I think I had ESP off and I slid like hell. ESP is your friend if you have it turned on and you hotdog it at the wrong time.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Had some close calls in the snow where ESP definitely helped

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
better questions to ask is..

Has the NOesp mod helped you?

i have had it since my first month.
rarely use it.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Everyone makes mistakes. It's nice to know that when those inevitable mistakes happen, there's ESP there to cover your back.

That being said, I've had ESP cover my back a handful of times, one time being a manual downshift coming hot into a corner on an offramp that had not dried yet. The highway was dry and without a hint of any rain having fallen in that area (in fact, I was unaware of any rain having fallen that evening, period). With the less travelled road surface of the offramp, the road surface had not dried like the highway had.

So as I got off the busy highway, I grabbed a downshift or two (I can't recall) down from 5th, and the back end immediately did a little hop over to the left as I was starting my rightward curve. I immediately felt it and instinctively corrected but by the exact moment that my wrist had flicked the wheel in preparation for a correction, the car had already reacted and straightened itself complete with the little squiggly icon telling me what had just gone down. I was impressed... By my standards it was a quick reaction on my part, but the ESP was just as fast.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
its helped me a lot in turns. sometimes i forget the car weighs over 4000 pounds and try turning too sharp. esp always keeps the car coordinated though

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I don't know if ESP has ever saved me, but one time I used it to my advantage to do something stupid. I was approaching a very wide major intersection intent on turning left. The speed limit is 45 there, and I was probably going a good 50-55. The light turned yellow as I approached, but there was no oncoming traffic. I thought to myself, "I have ESP and I'm going to use it."

I basically laid on the gas and swung through a wide left turn at an extremely high rate of speed while ESP did its thing. ESP may have saved me there, but I never would have tried it if I didn't have ESP.

This story is sort of like when my young daughter was doing extremely reckless stunts on her bike and I told her to be careful. Her response was, "Oh, that's okay, Daddy, I have a helmet." I was about ready to take her helmet away at that point...

·
Registered
461 Posts
It's saved me when power-merging off onto a curved on-ramp in the rain. The rear end kicked out just slightly, but ESP brought it back in line immediately.....however, I haven't had any issues now that I'm familiar with the car-this event was soon after purchasing it.

As was said earlier, those of us that know how to drive a RWD vehicle WITHOUT any traction or stability control find the ESP a bit too intrusive also. My beater and winter car is a 1997 Dakota with the 318 V8. With NO traction control at all, it will fishtail all day long just in the rain, and especially in the winter. I know how to correct for it most all the time, so much so that I do it for fun at times in the rain when nobody's around. When the charger let's loose sometimes ( mostly intentionally ) it almost becomes spooky when you're fishtailing or doing a donut, expecting the car to go "safely" in the direction it would w/o ESP, and then it kicks in. I find that while it "straightens" out the cars direction, "straight" isn't always where I want or expect to go - it can freak me out a little bit. That said, I sometimes feel like ESP's programming was geared more toward a driver coming to a charger from a FWD honda accord or a camry, rather than another RWD vehicle. NOT necessarily good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ESP saved me from potentially spinning out on a slick wet on-ramp just last week. I wasn't even accelerating very fast, but I just seemed to hit a slick spot. The rear end moved out about an inch or so and ESP corrected it very quickly, johnny on the spot before I even had a chance to blink. After it happened I started thinking and was hoping that other LX owners weren't turning ESP off regularly as they drive around, just to have it off because "it is annoying". I only turn my switch off to do 0-60 runs once in a while on dry pavement out in the country...that helps me launch better than having ESP 100% off. It's nice to have ESP around when you need it. I really found ESP annoying at first...not ever having it before, but now I think it is a must on a 4000 pd car with 390+ ft/pd torque that is used as a daily driver:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
TTA, I have experienced many similar situations to the one you described. But would you really say ESP actually saved you? Or is it more like ESP stopped me from being able to save myself? I think its hard to answer if ESP has ever saved me, because even with the button off (on an R/T), the system jumps in so early I don't get a chance to ever find out if I would have saved it or not.
Thats not to say I don't think I always would have saved it, because I do think I would have...I also drove a 2by truck in the snow for years, and can hang the ass out almost as long as I want in the right situations.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
It gives me the Mario Andretti edge I need when I take curves at 20-30 miles over the posted limit. With the ESP, Traction Control, ABS, Brake Assist, sport tuned suspension and Michelins, I feel very safe wet or dry. However, common sense must always prevail. :)

·
Registered
751 Posts
TTA, I have experienced many similar situations to the one you described. But would you really say ESP actually saved you? Or is it more like ESP stopped me from being able to save myself? I think its hard to answer if ESP has ever saved me, because even with the button off (on an R/T), the system jumps in so early I don't get a chance to ever find out if I would have saved it or not.
Thats not to say I don't think I always would have saved it, because I do think I would have...I also drove a 2by truck in the snow for years, and can hang the ass out almost as long as I want in the right situations.
Wow its nice to see a couple others like myself. Why is it since Dodge introduced the LX platform the world has forgotten how to drive properly. I am not that old of a guy and grew up driving both 2 and 4wd pickups with no weight in the box and just all seasons in the winter time. I can hang corners with the best of them when its slippery and still pull out and stay rightside up. I also drive around 40000 miles a year and yet still never have a problem especially since its ice and snow for 6 out 12 months. I have no trouble negotiating corners and slippery situations without ESP and really don't need it nor want it. If you noticed most American cars were rwd for years and lots had high amounts of torque but people survived by adjusting. Now ESP is a nice safety net for some for sure, but it is so intrusive it gives an otherwise lackluster driver a nagging cloud of overconfidence because "Well the ESP will save me". Now everyone makes mistakes and is never perfect, myself included, but if you don't do stupid things constantly you will prabably be ok.

Its no different than the people I have overheard saying "I have a 4 wheel drive, I don't really worry about weather conditions". These are also the very same people that are upside down in the ditch every first snowfall. I can't even get over how people forget year to year. You have lived and driven your whole life where it snows and gets slippery yet every first snowfall these retards account for the single largest amount of collisions reported in one day. Maybe at least up here (Alberta) they shouldn't seemingly give drivers licenses out in crackerjack boxes and we would have some smarter drivers. ESP is needed for the people I just mentioned, the ones who forget or just don't know how to drive.

And yeah that rusty old beast pictured below stays mostly in 2wd (like I said the hubs are manual and they are hardly ever locked), never has weight in the box, is front heavy( the diesel is at least as heavy as an all iron 454) has BF Goodrich Mud Terrains and an open rearend. So add that up and yeah it has less power than a Charger but also less weight on the rear tires too. By the way most people seem to talk on here I should be long since dead, but guess what I'm not . And any body damage ( front bumper included) on that truck was there when I bought it.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
I did the RT Junkie no esp mod, and I have the esp dead all the time, unless my wife is with me. Then I turn it back on.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You are a cowboy!!

The question should be has NO ESP ever got you into trouble...

Turned the damn ESP off when a lil pony (GT500) pulled up to me. Basically I was pushin past him and he cut me off and made a right at the light. I had forgot my ESP was off and hit the corner giving full gas. BIG NO NO. My car slid across two lanes before I gathered it back, pulled over, and thanked GOD! LOL!

I did the RT Junkie no esp mod, and I have the esp dead all the time, unless my wife is with me. Then I turn it back on.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
If the laws of physics allow (if there is the potential for the system to use the brakes and tyres to retain control of a vehicle) then the system will save you - you don't need to save yourself. The system is more than capable of bringing the vehicle back into line should the driver 'make a mistake'. And don't forget that in 'normal' road driving conditions, HAL, or driver never needs to correct a vehicle going out of control.

Don't take it personally - the system is there to protect your from others with cars like this, as much as protect the driver. Unfortunately, for evey person who posts here claiming that they are more than capable of controlling thecar on the edge of its performance limits, there are going to be a thousand or so who are totally clueless (made up numbers by the way - but hope you see the point...). Now - I would rather have this system stopping them from taking me out. As for me - unless it's an emergency situation (avoidance etc) I don't ever use the ESP. I'm on a public road - not a race track, at the end of the day. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts