Charger Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Charger
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm super excited because I just received a "Clay Pad" in the mail today from autopaintshields. I bought their ceramic spray in the past and it was insane!
Now I decided to give their clay pad a shot. Has anyone ever used such a thing? any tips?
if y'all check them out autopaintshields.com good people

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
I prefer the clay rag easy to rinse off and clean during the process to get rid of contaminates and does a decent job no complaints i only do it once maybe twice a year but my car is never neglected for long periods for a lot of build up
I dunno about on a machine clay can get pretty bitey and aggressive especially on a machine with the trapped stuff might actually cause swirls but I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in. If you use it clean it often during and keep an eye on the finish

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
If used by hand, it'll work the same a s the Mother's speed clay (which actually works pretty good if you're in a hurry)

Under no circumstances EVER would I put a clay pad on a d/a or polisher and run it on my car. As previously mentioned, it can and will do more damage than good.

Junkman will surely chime in when he sees it. I can only imagine the fit he'll throw lol

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Charger
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah that's good to know. Wasn't planning to use it on a DA but it's nice to verify. Hopefully it does a good job. I'll try it out on the wife's car first lol

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Yeah that's good to know. Wasn't planning to use it on a DA but it's nice to verify. Hopefully it does a good job. I'll try it out on the wife's car first lol
I actually like the Mothers speed clay for "in between" full details (and I have 2 black cars). They appear very similar so you should be happy.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm super excited because I just received a "Clay Pad" in the mail today from autopaintshields. I bought their ceramic spray in the past and it was insane!
Now I decided to give their clay pad a shot. Has anyone ever used such a thing? any tips?
if y'all check them out autopaintshields.com good people
WTF? A clay pad? I wouldn't use clay in any other manner than by hand and very gingerly with a lot of lubricant. (the jokes just write themselves)

Get a quality clay bar, quality lubricant, read/watch videos to get some technique and then go to town on a panel and see how you do. Follow that with a rinse, paint correction, then wax/sealant.

Best,

·
Registered
184 Posts
Clay pads/mitts really speed up the claying process. We use a clay mitt at the shop I work at and I have seen no evidence of it scratching. Clay bars seem to fall apart when exposed to soap (at least the ones I've used), but the clay mitts hold up really well.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Clay pads/mitts really speed up the claying process. We use a clay mitt at the shop I work at and I have seen no evidence of it scratching. Clay bars seem to fall apart when exposed to soap (at least the ones I've used), but the clay mitts hold up really well.
What do you do with one of those when it gets contaminated with the poo that it's picking up from the paint? With an actual clay bar, you fold it over and stretch it back out to reveal a contaminant-free clay surface. Obviously, you can only do that so many times, but I don't see how you rid a rubber/polymer/whaterver pad of that contamination effectively so you're then grinding those contaminants back into the paint as it loads up with dirt.

Best,

·
Registered
184 Posts
What do you do with one of those when it gets contaminated with the poo that it's picking up from the paint? With an actual clay bar, you fold it over and stretch it back out to reveal a contaminant-free clay surface. Obviously, you can only do that so many times, but I don't see how you rid a rubber/polymer/whaterver pad of that contamination effectively so you're then grinding those contaminants back into the paint as it loads up with dirt.

Best,
I definitely see what you mean. We just thoroughly rub the surface of the mitt in a bucket with lots of soap to remove contaminants between panels. You definitely have to be more carful with a clay mitt over a regular clay bar because it doesn't permanently trap contaminants. There's a higher chance of scratching/marring happening but it also saves a lot of time. For small areas or more aggressive claying we use a traditional bar.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I tried pads/mitts and did not like them. They hold moisture after used and were difficult to store because of this. I found no real advantage to them over a clay bar.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Over priced paint filler/polish for clay lube? Soap would be so much better and more appropriate.
We all have products that we like and what works for us.
Don’t be a Hater !
If I had a dollar for stuff I tryed that people suggested I would be a rich man.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Charger
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys, thanks everyone for replying I appreciate the tips and different perspectives. I just tried it out yesterday on my wifes car. I did the bag test before and after and definitely felt the difference. It was super easy and more comfortable for me compared to a clay pad. They say it last up to 30 cars, we'll see, I have a long way to go lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack
1,053 Posts
Would it be wise to use a clay pad or clay bar on the windshield before applying RainX to the glass?

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Charger
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I believe so but I'm not an expert. Good experiment for this weekend though 😁

1 - 18 of 18 Posts