Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my 07 charger rt had a hard start issue, if I was to crank right away in the morning it won't fire, I almost have to start it like a diesel, leave key to the on position, wait a moment, then crank. I had a full tune up not to long ago and brought it in to the dealership to have the fuel pump replaced but still the same thing. Any thoughts?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
648 Posts
Not sure if this relates exactly to your issue; on my 06 SRT, I could turn the key and get it cranking, then the starter would just stop cranking. I could try again and it would fire right up. Dealer tech said there was a recall on the 08 ONLY models for this issue. The fix was to replace the ground cable on the battery and the ground strap between the block and the chassis. The replacement cables are twice the gauge of the stock cables. The tech found evidence of arcing at the block connection, and there was very little contact area on the ring lug at the block conenction. The cable set is normally ~$60, but since there was a recall, he got them for $20. I have not had the issue since, and it cranks stronger and seems to crank a bit faster.
Might be worth looking into....

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Crank sensor, its all over these forums.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Iv had a similar issue off and on. Does it when it wants to. I read about the sensors too. Does anybody know exactly which one. I thought it was the cam sensor. Might wind up replacing both? And I'm lookin to replace the ground wire. Mine is an 06 tho

·
Registered
648 Posts
Did the cam and crank sensors prior to the cable replacements. While both sensors cured the rough idle, the cable replacement cured the hard starting.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
Iv had a similar issue off and on. Does it when it wants to. I read about the sensors too. Does anybody know exactly which one. I thought it was the cam sensor. Might wind up replacing both? And I'm lookin to replace the ground wire. Mine is an 06 tho
There typically isn't a "right one" all the time. Sometimes it's one, sometimes it's the other. I usually recommend the cam position sensor first since it's much easier to get to (right by the thermostat housing). The crank position sensor requires removing the starter to get to it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks mnunes, in my case I will probably replace the ground wire and see how it goes and then replace cam sensor if it still happens or just if I feel like spending an extra 20 bucks or so at some point.

·
Registered
648 Posts
In my case, I had rough idle, hard starts, and just an overall underperforming engine; plus I felt it was a good idea to replace both sensors before one or the other failed completely.
As we all know, when something fails completely, it's almost never in your driveway or garage; you're usually miles from anywhere, with no cell coverage, and it's pouring rain or snow.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Now my car did it, 3 or 4 seconds before it finally started i was like wtf!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts