Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know most cars that are RWD don't handle well in the snow, but it's different from car to car. How do 07 Chargers do?

I'm looking at this one:

http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/do...ype=used&model=charger&make=dodge&distance=25

And my parents are against RWD because we live in Ohio (we can get pretty big snowstorms).

I've already decided not to buy a Mustang due to this, I'm hoping I can still get a charger :p

Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Actually, RWD should handle better than a comparative FWD car. Especially considering the Charger is a large car with a very good weight distribution. I won't get into a long and complicated physics lesson as to why about weight shifts, over steer vs. under steer and all that... but I live in Ohio, right near the snow belt, and in the winter I've driven:
Dodge Charger
Chrysler Crossfire
Ford Mustang convertible
Ford Mustang coupe
Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
Chevrolet Corvette
My mom drives a 2005 Mustang all winter as well. I've never been stuck, spun off the road, etc. However, most of my FWD car driving friends have. Just play it smart and, if you lose traction, put some extra weight over the rear axle. Also note that most police in Ohio, at least near me, drive RWD Chargers, Magnums, or Crown Victorias. If you need a lesson on how to drive in the snow, ask me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh wow! I didnt even think about the police, that's true! =D I'm up in Parma, not IN the snowbelt but near it =P Thanks, I'll definitely keep you in mind =]

·
Registered
61 Posts
I live in Northfield Center, so I'm pretty close to you. If you still need to convince anyone check out this article about it. It gives a good overview of how well RWD handles compared to FWD: http://www.slate.com/id/2081194/

And if that still doesn't help... there are what, only 7 or 8 days a year that it snows bad enough that you have to worry about it.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Haven't had any problems with mine during the past Michigan winter. Traction control + ABS = you'll be ok as long as you don't do stupid things. Only issue I had was from the low 5" SRT8 clearance hitting on the snow ruts.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
The only accident I've ever had was with a FWD (Probe GT) car in the snow. Turning out of work and car didn't turn slid right into the curb, and bent the control-arm. That was the last "sporty" FWD car I ever owned.

RWD 4-EVER!

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Haven't had any problems with mine during the past Michigan winter. Traction control + ABS = you'll be ok as long as you don't do stupid things. Only issue I had was from the low 5" SRT8 clearance hitting on the snow ruts.

Exactly the same experience with mine in IL. :beerchug: No harsh weather worries with this car.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
2 winters, 12 total storms, at least 4 over 7 inches of snow.

Not a single problem with my Sublime, never been stuck
Tom

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compa...ode=53703&performance=W&minLoad=S&search=true

Which of those tires would be the best? I know more $$ doesn't always mean better quality. I'd like to not spend a million dollars on tires. I guess what I really mean is which is the cheapest yet workable? =P
I bought a set of Eagle Ultra Grip GW3 from Tire Rack last season on the stock 18", worked very well indeed. Got stuck twice, in my driveway after the plow had been through. Otherwise great. And the price is awesome! And great service...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought a set of Eagle Ultra Grip GW3 from Tire Rack last season on the stock 18", worked very well indeed. Got stuck twice, in my driveway after the plow had been through. Otherwise great. And the price is awesome! And great service...
Thanks, I'll favourite those =P

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
If you live in an area with lots of snow get good snow tires on all 4 corners. The car is fine in the snow as long as the tires are good.

·
Registered
372 Posts
What's this snow you guys keep speaking of? :D

(Southern California FOR THE WIN!)

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
Uhhh...wouldn't go THAT far, but yeah. You'll be fine in the snow. Plus, should you want to "have fun" it's a lot easier to do that with RWD. Even in the almighty 2.7
i'm with you... but I've had both and no way does a RWD get where a FWD can in a real snow storm... i guess that's why i have AWD:rocker:

·
Registered
476 Posts
If I can drive this all winter.... in up to half a foot of snow..

You should have zero issues in a Charger. I don't have traction control or any kind of nanny device to assist either (I think you guys have traction control and possibly yaw?)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.