Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone educate me on the computer in our cars. I gather that it learns your driving habits and adjusts something(s), but for what purpose? What exactly is adjusted, and how can you cancel it or reset it? I babied my car for the first few thousand miles and now want to get more spirit with it, but she seems to be asleep. There is a lag/delay whenever I romp on the gas, and even with the esp disable trick with the ignition, I can only get the tires loose in a hard turn/donught! Seems to me that my car is on summer break and I need to get her back into school for some learning! Summer's over, lets ride!

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Here is something I stole from another post on here. It does work, do this then use the key to disable ESP and after three four runs hang on

Does your car seem too sluggish? Pull fuses #11 #14 and #16!
Get in your car...Turn the ignition to "ON"; then turn it and hold it at "START" (it will not start). Wait 5-10 seconds until you hear the chime (mine beeped 3 times). Turn the ignition back to "ON"; turn the ignition back to "START" until you hear the chimes a second time. Put the fuses back in place (DO NOT mix them up) Start your car... The Computer is now reset: go "BURN RUBBER" (Tapout)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is something I stole from another post on here. It does work, do this then use the key to disable ESP and after three four runs hang on

Does your car seem too sluggish? Pull fuses #11 #14 and #16!
Get in your car...Turn the ignition to "ON"; then turn it and hold it at "START" (it will not start). Wait 5-10 seconds until you hear the chime (mine beeped 3 times). Turn the ignition back to "ON"; turn the ignition back to "START" until you hear the chimes a second time. Put the fuses back in place (DO NOT mix them up) Start your car... The Computer is now reset: go "BURN RUBBER" (Tapout)
Cool, I will try this tonight. Any idea what those fuses are for? No need to reply unless you know off top of your head, I'll check it out tonight.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
No idea, but it works. I did it once way back okay a few weeks agao. but since I did the ignition ESP off trick it seemed to do the samething after a few hard runs and restarts. During the week I go for mpg and by friday night car is doggy so I hit the key drive it hard, park and go for another hard run and by the time I head into town the car is awesome.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you think the trick with the key to disable ESP and BAS has the same effect as pulling the fuses and resetting the PCM?

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Seems to for me, when I did the fuse pull it took a few runs of hitting the gas before it really seemed to wake up. When I use the ignition trick it takes a few stomps on the gas before it really lets the tires go. You can accomplish the same thing by driving hard in auto stick for a day or two and the car will also come around, this just speeds things up. once you get it "reprogrammed" you should be able to lay rubber from a roll, I know when I am in 1st pulling 2500 rpms and nail the gas I can kick the car sideways alittle and lay some rubber for a few feet. Not right after using the ignition but after a couple tries

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, so far, I did the reset on the computer (fuse pulling), then did four 0-60 tests and the times are actually worse! Before the trick, the best time I got was 6.76 (which was pretty disappointing). After the fuse pulling and four subsequent tests, best time was 7.24. I'll drive her hard tomorrow and see what happens.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
once you get it "reprogrammed" you should be able to lay rubber from a roll, I know when I am in 1st pulling 2500 rpms and nail the gas I can kick the car sideways alittle and lay some rubber for a few feet. Not right after using the ignition but after a couple tries

Wow.....I deff cannot say Ive ever felt what the Hemi is really like in My last R/T or this Daytona yet.....then again, the last R/T had 5k mi when it was totaled and I drove on the hwy alot in cruise control so it prolly put the car in granny mode lol

And the daytona only has 2k mi on it......With the ESP disable trick, autostick in first, I can BARELY smoke the tires for 1 1/2 seconds before it just goes like normal, and it deff doesnt not launch foward or anything. Very sluggish

Maybe on both cars the engine just hasnt had time to wake up on its own yet?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts