Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an 06 R/T 5.7 and took it in for an oil change. The guy showed me the coolant tank and on the inside is a gunk or sludge built up especially around the bottom of the tank. I don't know how far into the system it goes but I was wondering if anyone on here might know what it is or what questions I could ask before I take it in to have it looked at?

I'm not very mechanically inclined on vehicles and etc, I usually just take them into get oil changes tune ups or fix mechanical issues. I've been told by a couple buddies to get a flush and one said not to because it could create more problems when it on knocks the debris loose and send it elsewhere into the system. He said it could be oil leaking into it somewhere or previous owner could have mixed coolants.

Your thoughts? Thank you for any help you can provide in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
There was a coolant issue on early model 6.1L engines but not the 5.7. I would recommend a drain and fill and see how it looks after that. Make sure whoever does it uses the correct coolant - it has to be HOAT-compatible. Zerex G-05 is fine.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Do a Search on here for "coolant gunk" and you'll find lots of info.

There was a Rapid Response Transmittal (Rapid response # 07026) that covered most of them. I don't know if that number is still active in their system. Typically, 2 flush-n-fills will clean it all out, then make sure the system is refilled with the proper coolant.

Many people have replaced the plastic overflow tank, because it's harder to clean all the gunk out of the bottom, if there's a lot of it.

·
Vendor
10,365 Posts
The coolants on the market today for your car are a HOAT or Hybrid Organic Additive Technology. This is organic and inorganic sodium along with sulfates.

As you can see in our signature, "better cooling better protection without all the GUNK.

As the coolants deteriorate and heat up, the sodium silicates, sodium benzoate and sodium tetraborate along with the sulfates start to come out of the coolant and end up with residues......also called scale....that fill not only the cooling degas bottle or the reservoir as most people call it....but also in the block and the radiator.

We make QuantumBlue HP Gold Coolant that is a very high performance coolant that doesn't have any of the sodium or sulfates in it and is good for 5 years or 150,000 miles.

Look at the back of the coolants......even Mopar and you will find the contents as I have described them here.

For your degas bottle, you can take isopropyl alcohol and flush it out of there and reinstall it. QuantumBlue and distilled water after a good flush will get a lot of the other gunk out of the engine and radiator.

Here is an article I wrote about QuantumBlue high performance coolants and what you need to know about them::bigthumb:

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162155&highlight=high+performance+coolants

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts