Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so this grinding your suspension bolt so your wheels fit, is this pretty common or what?

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
A few people are doing it if the rim is a ridiculous size, but if you are staying in the realm of non-pimp, it shouldnt be needed.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
I read your putting 20s on your car and they need to grind the bolt for the tire? WTF

tell them you want a different tire, thats unheard of, and un needed

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok well the shop gave me 275/45/20 tires when i got 20" rims and they grinded some on the suspension bolt, so they didnt give me the right size tire or what?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea, im sorry to say they did this w/o my knowledge until someone pointed that out to me yesterday. went from 17" to 20" rims and they gave me 275/45/20 kumho tires and took some off the bolt and never mentioned it to me. you can bet i'm goin over there tomorrow. speedometer seems to be showing 6mph slower than actual. seems the right tire could have avoided all this.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
I dont know if its messing up the speed and what not, but I know plenty of people that would be pissed if a shop grinded their bolt for 20" rims. The guys getting the bolts grinded down a little are the ones putting 24s on

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
i have 22's with a 35 series tire and didnt have to grind my upper control arem bolt down. there is less than a half inch of clearance but it doesnt hurt anything. i would definatly go back to the shop flipping out if they didnt inform you they were doing it. oh yeah and mine had the 17's stock sxt wheels definately not necessary to grind it down unless you get 24's

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
The speedometer will be off changing from 17s to 20s.One way to find out is get a tape measure and measure the hight of the new tiers and whells at cold temp, then measure the old tires hight at cold temp. To be accurate they both needto be on the groundwith the weight of the car on it.

Scott

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
yea, im sorry to say they did this w/o my knowledge until someone pointed that out to me yesterday. went from 17" to 20" rims and they gave me 275/45/20 kumho tires and took some off the bolt and never mentioned it to me. you can bet i'm goin over there tomorrow. speedometer seems to be showing 6mph slower than actual. seems the right tire could have avoided all this.
You can buy Programmer to adjust your speedo for propper tire.
There should have been no reason to grind down the bolt.........

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
To me it sounds like the shop had this large-sized tire in stock and wanted to get rid of it, so they dumped them off on you. Personally, I wouldnt run that tire size all the way around. The 07 models that come with 20" wheels have a 245/45/20 tire on them---no need to grind bolt down there and the ride is perfect. 275/45 has got to be huge in there.... Any pics of your ride with the big tires on it? I'd kinda like to see what it looks like.

-Pat

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i'll work on some pics. but yea found that out between them having them and the price is lower thats why i got them. the 245 or 255 were gonna be 50-100$ more per tire and i had got a package deal, 4 new 20" rims and tires for $999 but i'm gonna keep them only heard good stuff about the kumhos. i think they look good, they don't rub, just my speedometer is a few miles slower than how fast i am going but then again, i have more tire between potholes and my rim, more tread, etc

·
Registered
871 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have grinded down 3 chargers and 6 300's and all of them had different lengths on the bolt. Some were closer to the tire and others were farther. I had to grind down two 300's on 22". They were running 265/35 22 hankook tires. All these cars are not completely the same you know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts