Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know quite a few here have light their grills, and I was hoping for some help/advice. And if AAC or Flashtech wish to chirp up too, then :beerchug:

I know it appears that CCFLs are the lighting method of choice, but I want something different...More accurately, something CCFLs can't do. I would like my grill to pulse, or dim. For that, I believe I'd need LEDs.

So that brings me to the real question...Would LEDs be a good call for lighting a grill? Or would they just do a good job of lighting up my rad instead, which IIRC isn't something we want.

The next question would be a source. There is of course AAC, Oznium, and a place that's local to me Princess Auto (A: hush on the name; B) link to their LED strip) Princess is probably the cheapest and easiest to get, but I doubt there's any real warranty on them (Their prices are Canadian BTW). Next there's Oznium's silicone encased LEDs. $15 a foot with a 1 year warranty. Finally AAC's at nearly $19/foot for red, but with a lifetime warranty IIRC. Who would be a wiser choice.

As for the dimmer control, if I bought on line, I'd just buy it from the same place.

Finally, so I have other lighting options that would allow me to have the pulsing light?

Thanks in advance, :bowdown:
Dave

·
Registered
408 Posts
CCFLs Would not be able to support pulsing, strobing etc.. Deff go with LEDs. as for where to get them from, my LED Halos are from AAC, and they are SUPER bright. So i can only assume they led strip would be just as bright. They also make a remote kit that will allow you to do everything you listed

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I think LEDs look better than Ccfls 100% of the time IMO. And for what you want it sounds like LEDs are way to go. Oznium has got me all my LEds perfect condition and SUPER qucik! plus price isnt bad either. Dablackpearl uses 4 19"strips i believe and it looks great.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think LEDs look better than Ccfls 100% of the time IMO. And for what you want it sounds like LEDs are way to go. Oznium has got me all my LEds perfect condition and SUPER qucik! plus price isnt bad either. Dablackpearl uses 4 19"strips i believe and it looks great.
DaBlackPearl (Phil isn't it?) dropped me aPM last night about them. Sounds like he's using these. How about yourself?

When you compare is strips vs the others oznium carries, via their comparison chart they have an awefully narrow angle to them. I'm curious how a wider angle would the lighting effect.

For myself, I'm looking at the silicone encased strips. Might handle the garbage we get up here better.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I havent done my grille yet. I used their 4" flexible strips for an interior lighting project that turned out great. And yeah its PHil his looks pretty sweet! and not sure how those ones you were looking at would work but worth a try might look good. the flexible tubes are enclosed as well so i think they would hold up

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Man these cars don't like leds without some type of regulator or something. Ive tried to run led interior lights and i've burnt up wires twice. The second time just happen this weekend. I didn't really run them since i got them fixed i decided to run them for a full night then bam smoke everywhere. i dont get it

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
really? all i have is a 5amp fuse from the battery jump terminal between my leds and i run them everynight and no problems. I have 4 4" strips all wired to one switch

·
Registered
298 Posts
i have mine run through a fuse in the engine compartment, but i am using the flexable LED strips. they work well, but if you are going to get them get a couple of strips, mine are bright as hell but i have two on top two in middle two on bottom and two running verticle through the middle.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Man these cars don't like leds without some type of regulator or something. Ive tried to run led interior lights and i've burnt up wires twice. The second time just happen this weekend. I didn't really run them since i got them fixed i decided to run them for a full night then bam smoke everywhere. i dont get it
Are you talking about the LED bulb replacement for the stock interior lighting (map light, rear door lights, etc)?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
no i have led strips under the dash. And i swear everytime i run them they the wires burn up. and start smoking like crazy.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
hmm how did you run the wireing? which gauge wire?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I didnt do the install but they used whatever wire was on them. Could that be the problem?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
possibly might be too thin of a wire. I used oznium lights which have a small wire attached but i used as little as possible and connected it to 18 gauge wire

1 - 14 of 14 Posts