Charger Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished the grill off. It took 4 cans of paint to get the Inferno deep enuf. Two coats of clear-coat. Then I installed the Honeycomb grill insert. I think it came out pretty nice. Take a look.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I like that look a LOT! Great job on the crosshairs. I have been thinking about doing that since day one, and now I know I'm going to do it. Looks really great. :wink:

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... It makes the car look so much more agressive. I must say myself that now on the second day... and the sun is bright, I did a great job of the color match. All I need to do now is decide if I tag it with a badge, and which one. I like the "chrome" R/T one at this point.

Thanks again for the kadoo's!

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
outstanding man....how did you do the paint job if you don't mind me asking? i am curious how you sprayed it with the factory paint, others might want to go this route also as it seems a cheaper route.

can't say it enough though.....awesome and great job man!!!!

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
I have a dumb question. How's that paint going to stay sticking to the chrome? I mean, I thought nothing sticks to chrome.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
i think it is chromed plasitic though so a plastic primer or adhesive primer would probably work that problem out a14.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
I thought, "idiot alert", that even though it's plastic, the chrome on the plastic would be a problem.

Glad to hear that it won't. I may have a mod coming up real soon!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
GoDaddy said:
....how did you do the paint job if you don't mind me asking? i am curious how you sprayed it with the factory paint, others might want to go this route also as it seems a cheaper route.

Here are the steps I took... and to answer your question first a14umbra... I'm not really to sure if its going to hold up. Time will tell. If it doesn't I can always order the factory one. No big deal. For now it looks good.

Step1 - "Dry" sanded all chrome areas with 2000 grit. Till a "burnished" was evident.

Step2 - Cleaned all areas with alcohol... lots of it.

Step3 - Using WHITE primer... gave it 2 good coats.

Step4 - Check for any blemishes, and wet sand with the 2000 again.

Step5 - Using a damp (water) lintfree cloth... tack rag all areas.

Step6 - Using the COLOR now... give 2 light coats to cover all areas. 30 mins to dry... check again for the blems... and sand with WATER if needed. Last 3 to 4 coats should be fairly heavy. Letting each coat dry for 30 mins. To check for color... take the "dried" grill and place into car... you can tell right away if its not right... just don't go too far with the color. Color check it at around the 2nd heavy coat. If your not sure or paranoid... color check it after each spray. If you know how to use a spray can... you can do this mod easy. Don't worry that the paint looks dull.... each coat will make it more glossy, and another step (7) will take care of that. ORDER AT LEAST 4 TO 5 CANS!!! They dont hold too much paint.

Step7 - After COLOR paint has dried... again check for blems... then you can put 2 to 4 nice coats of clear-coat. Looks real wet at this point... and stays that way.

Step8 - This step is optional... AFTER 48 HOURS!!! If you have too much "orange-peel", then you can always buff it out using the "WHITE" simonize. Its the POLISHING one. Till you achive what your looking for.

WARNING.... GET THE GRILL INSERT NOW IF YOUR GOING TO CHANGE IT!!!! YOU DONT WANT TO TAKE THAT f#^*ING GRILL OUT AGAIN!!! (it wasn't that bad... and I got all 4 screws back in too!)

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
bstowers said:
What exactly did you use? I couldn't find anything but the little touch-up bottles.

Sorry... and good question... seems my door panel sticker has the wrong color code on it... BE CAREFUL!!!!!!! Got my part number for the color off the internet and then gave it to the dealer myself. When I asked him for it... and this was TWO different dealers they said either he didn't have any sprays, or they didn't have the NEW 06 color codes.... bull. Lazy asses. I will post the link for the site I used for the color codes. Just look for something on the site that you would have painted on the car.

For Inferno users... the code is - 5013698AA (5oz spray @ 9.?? per dealer/internet 15.00)

Heres the link...

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/wyckoff-chrysler-parts/ptcruistoucu1.html

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
excellent ncharge.....thanks for the information! this is very very similar to how we painted our engine cover.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Sharp as hell NCharge!! IIIIIIII like it! :grin: Mike

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
still looks great....i would be so worried about a rock scratching my new paint job. i think i would cry after all that work man.....

·
Registered
197 Posts
GoDaddy said:
still looks great....i would be so worried about a rock scratching my new paint job. i think i would cry after all that work man.....
Looks like a candidate for ClearBra.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I had the chrome cross bar on my chevy truck painted body color... dealership body shop did it for free as a favor... 2 years later it held up better then my hood as far as rock chips... :D

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Had more of a nightmare getting the dam bugs off the bumper after my Florida trip. Spent 8 hours when I got home cleaning up the "bug-guts" all over the place. Good thing I waited till I got home before painting the grill. I don't know how Floridians deal with it unless using a bra of some kind. Not for me.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
OK fellas I need some advice from anyone else that has done this.

I picked up a chrome grill off of another member here pretty cheap and want to paint it flat black.
Has anyone else made this mod yet?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts