Charger Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really happy to be joining the dodge community. Could use some help: The piano black SRT badge on my 2016 Dodge charger is scratched severely from a bad cleaning. The same thing is present on the wheels. I tried using a 3 inch RO with complete compound and orange pad from griots to no effect. I'm not sure if I need to use a different product. Any advice on the process? I am an amateur and really hoping to get this fixed. Thank you!

Car Grille Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Eye Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
It looks like clearcoat scratches to me.

If it really bothers you - take them out - sand them ever so lightly and then spray some clearcoat...it should make it smooth again (just make sure you do it in a clean area as Clearcoat can attract dust and you could end up with a lot of fish eyes).

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Someone use a green scrubby kitchen sponge or a Brillo pad??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes. I am ashamed. Prior owner had drawn on the black badges with silver sharpie. The car has the black top package with all black badging and trim. Wanted to remove the sharpie so put some WD-40 on a sponge and caused this damage.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Ask me how I recognized those scratches.

I would say the best option is to replace the badge. As for the wheels, is it the whole wheel or simply the Dodge slash marks on the center caps? If so, I'd just buy new center caps.

I did it, must have the biggest brain fart on earth, on the bottom portion (below the mesh) on my front bumper. For the life of me I could not get bug guts off the paint. Used every trick I had. Should have realized it was more road rash than bug guts. Anyway, used a green scrubby sponge across the bottom. Made about 6 zillion scratches in the clear coat. Took it to a detailer and said the only thing he would suggest was a full repaint. Fortunately the bumper was beat to hell anyway, but from 2 feet away you couldn't notice anything. I got over it. Lesson learned. I've been detailing my cars for 20 years and I knew better. I don't know what I was thinking. I did ended up hitting, and not even injuring a deer, so I got a new bumper a few years later anyway.

I'm also the same genius who at about 10 years old in 1995 found a hornets nest on the front of my parents house. Deciding to take care of the situation on my own and be of help, I filled my Super Soaker 100, both tanks, full of gasoline and proceeded to spray the nest and half of the front of the houses siding with gasoline. Got yelled at pretty good for that one. Thought I was being of help, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
786 Posts

I would say the best option is to replace the badge. As for the wheels, is it the whole wheel or simply the Dodge slash marks on the center caps? If so, I'd just buy new center caps.

I did it, must have the biggest brain fart on earth, on the bottom portion (below the mesh) on my front bumper. For the life of me I could not get bug guts off the paint. Used every trick I had. Should have realized it was more road rash than bug guts. Anyway, used a green scrubby sponge across the bottom. Made about 6 zillion scratches in the clear coat. Took it to a detailer and said the only thing he would suggest was a full repaint. Fortunately the bumper was beat to hell anyway, but from 2 feet away you couldn't notice anything. I got over it. Lesson learned. I've been detailing my cars for 20 years and I knew better. I don't know what I was thinking. I did ended up hitting, and not even injuring a deer, so I got a new bumper a few years later anyway.

I'm also the same genius who at about 10 years old in 1995 found a hornets nest on the front of my parents house. Deciding to take care of the situation on my own and be of help, I filled my Super Soaker 100, both tanks, full of gasoline and proceeded to spray the nest and half of the front of the houses siding with gasoline. Got yelled at pretty good for that one. Thought I was being of help, lol.
At least you didn’t light it.

Reactions: Junkman2008

·
Registered
2,792 Posts

And we have a winner! 👍

A random orbital or oscillating polisher ain't going to do jack on what you are looking at. It takes technique to fix some jacked up paint with one so anything metal like ain't gonna have a chance because you're just wasting your time and money. Anything you try from this point is going to do one of two things. NOTHING, OR MAKE IT WORSE. So live with it until you can replace them because if they bother you now, wait until you REALLY screw them up. 🤬

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
That's the type of stuff I whip out my trusty old Sharpie and get to coloring the scratches away. Just stay in the lines.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,367 Posts
And we have a winner! 👍

A random orbital or oscillating polisher ain't going to do jack on what you are looking at. It takes technique to fix some jacked up paint with one so anything metal like ain't gonna have a chance because you're just wasting your time and money. Anything you try from this point is going to do one of two things. NOTHING, OR MAKE IT WORSE. So live with it until you can replace them because if they bother you now, wait until you REALLY screw them up. 🤬
Don't throw the towel in just yet.

I think you go to Autozone and pick up a Headlight buffing kit. They come with a round foam Buffer that you can put in a drill. Use the supplied headlight scratch removal polish and that might get it done. I'm thinking it works.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi everyone. I decided to replace the SRT badge. My car appears to have come with a black trim package (painted black roof, mirrors, decals, rims, etc.). However I can't seem to find the black SRT badge OEM part online anywhere. The best I could do was find a silver one, shown below. Does anyone know how I can find the part number for a black version?

Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Software

For context, here is the front view of the car. This is also what the badge currently looks like.

Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire

1 - 10 of 10 Posts